Author Topic: Anyone get this comment about Venus Williams?  (Read 14556 times)

angels04

Anyone get this comment about Venus Williams?
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:18:02 PM »
HI Everyone
I was talking about the olympics this weekend and mentioned to two people about Venus having sjogrens..the comment I got from both of them was...she's out there playing tournaments and the olympics..why cant you do more?
I was so aggravated..its just like the " you look reallly good' or 'you dont look sick' comments. I wanted to choke them!  :'(
I was hoping she would bring awareness to this disease..instead Im seeing us compared to her :-\
what do you all think?

slccom

Re: Anyone get this comment about Venus Williams?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
That is why I am not so wild about having her in particular as our celebrity. There are a lot of people who think like that, I'm afraid.

If we fail to measure up to the super-crips, then there is something wrong with us.

I'm sorry your acquaintances or former friends, whichever they are, are such um, jerks. Ignorant, no doubt, but jerks nonetheless. I think we'll see a lot more of this.

Sharon

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »
Well, it did knock her out for a bit and she had to take time off to get "well."  Also if SJS can do that to a young woman, who is a big and robust lady/athlete, what can it do to someone twice her age and 5' instead of 6'?  Also people who have had hard time jobs throughout their life, raised numerous kids and so forth.  I am not saying a bad thing about her, just that she's a large, muscular, in shape woman and most of us aren't.  Lucy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
I would just tell them that she is probably full of cortisone so that she can play and once the stress catches up to her she will pay for all this activity.

Tell your "friends" that if you felt good you would be out there playing tennis. Also, ask them if they are out there playing tennis. Just had to be a little catty about it. The people that holler the loudess are the ones that do the leastest. lol Irish

Meld256

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:36:21 AM »
Angels,

I'm sorry you received those comments.  Another case of people being ignorant about our illness. I might think it's a good opportunity to point out how varied our symptoms are from one person to another.

I think we really don't know how Venus is doing, and suppose we must remember that there are some people who can live and manage fairly well with all this.  The rest of us are here discussing how to manage!

Irish-LOL

SueAnn

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:19:56 AM »
I heard a commentator say that she never knows how she is going to feel when she wakes up and if she will be able to play or play well.  This was said during the doubles when they were explianing her not making it during the singles.   

I would make sure you tell the uninformed about this comment.

SueAnn
Sjs
LDN, Plaquenil, Evoxac, Prednisone, Restasis..
Vit B complex, calcium, Vit D
Female - 50ish

gurs

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:10:03 AM »
when I was alot younger, I was very athletic too and was able to do alot...I really had to push myself and it was a struggle to keep up with everyone else. Now, as I have got older, and the disease out of control, I cant do anything.

Also, we have no clue of what medications/supplments she is on. She maybe doing great with her change in diet too.
She is a professional athlete as well. I hope she does this well 20 years from now, as it seems this disease progresses with age for most of us.

We cant win with what people say either. I got the "You dont look sick" for soooooo long..and now that I look extremely ill, I get
you dont look well...ughhhhh.. No one has a clue (even the medical community) on how debilitating this disease really is. My mom knows alot of people with extreme lupus (kidney issues, etc) and they are living a full life? yet, I cant move out of bed, autonomic nervous system messed up so bad..the neuro issues, everything.....you guys know how it is.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

iraisin

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:51 AM »
There is a great disparage from what she "was" to what she is now. Also, her "baseline" was a heck of a lot better than ours. So going down from her baseline could take a bit more time than it did for ours.

And like I posted before, she has a lot more help than we do. She has people to take care of her home, someone to set up her food for her, a manager to take care of her business; bills; taxes; etc. and I'm sure the best doctor money can buy - and like mentioned before - lots of meds to keep her moving. Plus, she never gave birth.

Also, even amogst us, there are vast differences between our symptoms and abilities. So it's hard to say what her symptoms are and how much/often they affect her.

I know how you feel - the "you don't look sick" thing. It does get old...especially on the days that I am sick.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 04:56:16 AM »
My two cents:  There's a 14-year-old gold medalist, how's YOU'RE daughter doing? There's a guy who won silver who doesn't have legs, how far can you run? There are people WITHOUT Sjogren's who're in the Olympics, too.  Why aren't you???

The Olympics is about superlatives.  Few if any of us can compete on that level.  I couldn't play tennis even before I got Sjogren's. I sure as heck can't do it now!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

artistangie

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 05:13:21 AM »
Well said A66eyroad!!

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:45:52 AM »
There will always be someone who doubts the extent of your illness.   That doesn't take away from the phenomenal performance of Venus Williams and the example of perseverance and excellence she sets for us.   She amazes me.  She has indeed drawn attention to Sjogren's.  I love it that (despite her limits) she won the gold.

Lol and amen to A66eyroad's post!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »
And Amen to Cheryl! You're always the voice of reason, my friend!   :D
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

mshistory

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:53 AM »
That's why I don't tell people I have Sjogren's... I don't want to be compared to Venus. I just say autoimmune disease or connective tissue disease - people don't know what that is either  ;D
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Nymph

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »
I would say that I went through a very demanding graduate program with Sjogren's (pre-diagnosis but symptomatic); that the stress made it worse; and while I'm glad I did it, I wouldn't do it now! For many people, it seems, the disease is progressive or at least changes regularly. This is the case for Venus, too. We each have decisions to make about what is important to us and then do the best we can. While Venus is a good example of that she is certainly not the only example!
38 y.o. teacher; anti-CCP+, RF+, otherwise seronegative; POTS; Plaquenil, Allegra, Depakote, Neurolink, C, probiotic, multi-V, magnesium, quercetin, NAC, DHEA, fish oil, D3, turmeric, ubiquinol; <3 my neti pot

Katybarstool

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
I agree with all that has been said. For my two cents worth: I suspect I've had Sjogren's since I was a teenager. I raised three children, worked full time, and worked part time for my bachelor hons degree, which I got at 35. My teaching certifcate was completed at 45, still while working full time. But that just about did me in. At 55, I'm down to working four days a week, and coping with the delights of this condition. I'm just grateful to be able to function at the level I do - and if people think I'm a wimp, that's their problem.

I take nothing away from her amazing efforts, but I wonder how Venus will be faring at my age.

Kathyx