Author Topic: No Disability  (Read 2744 times)

sktaylor

No Disability
« on: July 22, 2012, 04:18:57 AM »
I filed for disability in December 2011. Of course I was rejected the first time so tried again. I was sent to a Dr who didn't even discuss my Sjogren's. I do not have a huge book full of exams and tests because we have no insurance. I was turned down again after seeing him.

I have decided to give up on the disability. I do not have all they want and I think I am going to have to go back to work anyway. y Rheumy is no help with the disability. I told him I was having a hard time finding work due to my illness and he just says "Yeah, that can be a deal breaker." A lot of help that is to me. I just hope I can find an understanding boss!

Sorry, just venting today. I know God takes care of his own and we will be fine. It is just so discouraging sometimes.

Gayle

Re: No Disability
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »
Hi Sktaylor,

I am so sorry. I know it is completely frustrating and finding a job now is so difficult for everyone and for anyone with a 'medical history', even more so. Maybe look at something creative that you could do with flexibility, such as tutoring.
Will keep you in my prayers,

Gayle

iraisin

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »
Don't give up. I know you're feeling deflated and exasperated. Yes, He does take care of us. I find He blesses me with just enough to keep me going all the time, just have to have the eyes to see it. Don't be blinded by the shadows of this world.

Take a look at the offereings on this site. Maybe you can use them to help you. You don't pay if you don't win, and I think, if nothing else, you will get some good advice on how to move forward.

allsup.com/disability-life-planning-service/disability-life-planning-service-faqs.aspx

Good luck sweet woman.

Keep us informed, ok?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:43:36 AM by Meld256 »

iraisin

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »
Oh yes! What Gayle said!

That actually plays into your approval rating thru SSD. If the economic climate adds to your ability to get a job, your approval is a bit easier.

I wrote an argument for my sister last year, and this played into it. She was approved after being denied 2 times!

Make a line chart of our flares over a 12 mo. period and show how often you would be out of work in a year. Offer the fact that this disease is incurable, meaning this pattern will continue and render you undependable.

The folks doing the medical exams are contractors - they are being paid to NOT approve your SSD. You have to go by the legal guidelines - so focus more on the legal aspects and requirements, and less on what you're going through (medical). Once you have that down, then focus on the medical BEFORE you go in there and get evaluated by the med team.

Also, on my sisters medical exams done by these heartless contractors - there were lies and they didn't even sign the paperwork. So in my argument, I addressed each lie individually with real dr. reports and descriptions. My sister had 3 neck surgeries and one of their reports said she could climb a rope. Unbelievable.

Iris

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »
If I were you i'd appeal again... The next time you'll go before a judge and yes medical records are important but so is what he sees and hears from you..  Get a lawyer if you don't already have one and see what the judge says..

Sjogren's Syndrome, fibromyalgia, essential tremor, RLS, degenerative disc disease, gastritis, Ischemic colitis, heart disease.
Lisinopril, Pantoprazole, Ranitidine, Plavix, Diltiazem, Simvastatin, Magnesium, Aspirin, pain meds, serum tears, fish oil

slccom

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
The lawyers don't charge you; they only get paid if they win. Keep on trying!
Sharon

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
I agree with all of the above.  You feel that you will not get disability, especially since you've been turned down twice.  Some get approved first time around (I was and also some on this board) but more likely is a denial or even two.  There are some on here who have been successful after a couple of denials.  Get a lawyer and go forth.  Do your homework (again) and have your ducks in a row.  I had lots of medical records and carefully worked on the papers.  I know you say you don't, but go back and reconstruct as much as you can.  Also, put in writing about not having insurance and not being able to go to the dr as often as you'd wished.  Also, there is no law against looking for work while applying for disability. 

You might also bring in the emotional rough stuff that people with an illness have which can include not getting along with co-workers who give you a hard time because of your illness, absences etc.  I hope you've gotten some ideas here.  For sure, if you don't try again, you won't get disability.  If you file again, you could be successful and you wouldn't be any worse off if you didn't get it.  Also, if you get disability, it doesn't mean you will have to stay on it the rest of your life.  People need to remember that sometimes we do get better in our illnesses and just may be able to work again.  Probably not as often as we like, but it does happen.  Good luck and keep things positive, even though it's hard.  Keep us informed please.  Lucy

Meld256

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 05:00:41 AM »
Lucy, you make some really good points.

sktaylor,
I would encourage you to go forward with appealing the denial, with an attorney.  Perhaps you've decided not to do that, and that is your choice, of course.  I just know a denial or two can be so disheartening and frustrating- enough so that we sometimes just give up on the idea.

Only you know if you are able to still work.  If you feel that you cannot, I would encourage you to get the help of an attorney.  They can help you gather all the paperwork needed and help defend your case, since they know what the SSA is looking for. 

I wish you luck and many blessings no matter what you decide. 
Melinda

slccom

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »
When you look for an attorney, get a local one, not one of the big firms that advertise heavily. If you work with a local attorney, you can probably help and save some money by doing your own copying, for example. At least one big,heavily advertised, firm refused a set of copies of the client's own records in favor of charging a buck and a half per page copying fee.

You need to be persistent. You've paid into this, you deserve it.

Sharon

sass

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
I have to add a comment here...You have to lay it on the line with sometimes brazen and open honesty..  If this has changed your lifestyle in any way, you MUST bring it up and tell them...a lot of things may have changed...that you used to waterski and now can't eve participate in teaching your children,  You can't pick up your own children or grandchildren, your love for cooking is of the past now....But one thing that most everyone overlooks or will not discuss, is how it has effected your sex life.  For example, my husband is disabled...and with my back and lung issues is it even a possibility now...well as much as I hate to bring it out in the open..No..We are a young 53 and 54...But unable and unwilling to risk it.  You tell them that, and it usually seals it.  But remember if you are willing to admit it, then you may have questions to answer..Be willing to know that it is worth it in the long run if that is the case for you..But answering and bringing up the things of importance to you that you did actively and can no longer do is important and the longer the list the better...I can only give  money (that i don't have) to help with my nieces baby shower...I can't even carry gifts in.  My spending habits have been challenged on line because of depression and loneliness....I can't stand to look in the mirror and see what this has changed in me...Crying at WATCHIN YOU FAMILY AND  other play outside while you watch thru the window....you get the drift, but do not overlook the more harder issues to talk about.  If it makes you uncomfortable, think how it makes them feel....I even mentioned the inability of trying different positions bc of pain or other issues...   Just got my approval letter...first try...BUT YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST ABOUT IT...DON'T OVERLOOK ANYTHING!!!
Just saying....sorry if this offended anyone!!!

Diane63

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
I agree with all the good things that have been said here, and I hope you don't give up.  Sass, thanks for laying it on the line - issues so many of us know abouut but rarely or never discuss.  I couldn't go to my son's college parents' weekend because I can't walk much and couldn't possibly climb on the tour bus.  These losses are real and reflect the actual impact of SJS.  Don't give up!

eyeamdry

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »
Sass is absolutely correct.  The more they have of an idea of what type of impact the disease has on your life--the better your chances.

I think it's safe to say that more disabilities do go through with lots of information and det6ail than with those that write 4 or 5 word sentences without any written followup.  Detail, detail, detail.  But do not exxagerate.  If someone says they were lying on the stairs, head first, holding the baby while scrubbing the kitchen floor.  All in pain of course, more pain than everyone else could ever have.

They look at facts more than feelings.  But after you cover what you conceive as facts, then the rest can be detailed out.  I just happened to run across
 my old disability papers earlier tonight.