Author Topic: Ears, nose and eye questions  (Read 1998 times)

AAACGRL

Ears, nose and eye questions
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »
Hi all! I was curious if any of you suffer from dryness inside your ears?  Mine are driving me nuts. They itch so bad I'm ready to take a paperclip edge and just dig away. (I know, not a good idea)  I don't know if there are any useful drops for them or would something like olive oil hurt?

Also, my eye doctor would like to do the punctal plugs but I read if you use Restasis, the med does not work when you have plugs?  So if you get the plugs then you can ditch the meds is that how it works? 

Has anyone lost their sense of smell with Sjogrens?  I cannot smell hardly anything.  Works in my favor when my child has a stomach bug (hehe). 

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Ears, nose and eye questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
Yes, some of us experience those symptoms. Remember, Sjogren's attacks all glands.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi  :)

My ears get pretty dry and itchy sometimes. I got some olive oil from the pharmacist. It is often prescribed for softening ear wax. I don't know if its the same as the cooking oil or not but it came with a dropper and I know it's safe to use in ears.

SjS has not made me lose my sense of smell. If anything it is more acute than it used to be. I can smell when someone comes into a room . So saying - my hearing isn't very good so sometimes I think the sense of smell is compensating.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

sass

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »
I feel creepy crawler dryness in my ear,,,have had it checked by so many ENT's and docs that my poor ole ear is starting to want to charge for the peep show.  lol...It is worse on the ear that my parotid gland problem is.. 

I have used restasis for years and still can make tears.  But, I have the dry, gritty sand feeling as always and the pin prick stabbing that my doc says is another dry eye symptom.  My eyes also water from the outside instead of the tear duct...another sign he says...  oh and a tumor somewhere in there...dang, that reminds me it is time to get that yearly done again to have them photograph it for changes...me thinks it is just a freckle!!!  ~sass~

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
I love that "SJS gave me a dry sense of humor"!!!  roflmbo!  I'll have to tell people I had no humor until I was stricken with SJS!!  They'll probably believe it!!  Another + to having this fabulous disease ;)
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

slccom

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:44:53 PM »
I wear hearing aids, and find that when my ears feel dry, I usually have a fungal infection. If your skin is flaking off in large sheets, you could have an infection.

I put Bag Balm in my ears and it really helps. Or even hand lotion.
Sharon

eyeamdry

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 11:21:35 PM »
Or---Vaseline?

Aquarius

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:01:03 AM »
Hi, yes I have noticed that since Sjogrens the ears are much dryer.

slccom

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
I have punctal plugs and Restasis. It works just fine. I think the manufacturers didn't want to research the combination because they might not get FDA approval. That disclaimer is mostly so that the FDA doesn't go after them for false claims.

Sharon