Author Topic: Should I be skeptical? recently diagnosed 29 male  (Read 3339 times)

Lspeed1983

Re: Should I be skeptical? recently diagnosed 29 male
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
Thank you all for your input, this was very helpful! 

The positive blood work was helpful in a quick diagnosis, for that I'm lucky.  It wouldn't have been easy convincing anyone (family, rheumy, friends, work) I had some thing like Sjogren's as a 29 year old male without the objective markers.  I won't get too hung up on it too much now.

Styx

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:30 PM »
The blood markers for Sjogren's are both insensitive and nonspecific. Having them or missing them means very little.

I'm a male about your age that is seronegative. Diagnosis based on histology is best IMO.

Styx

madderakka

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 01:31:36 AM »
You may also have just not noticed that you are dry because you are used to it. I had been self-correcting for a few years by drinking more water and just never paid attention to the eye dryness. When my rheumatologist sent me for a Schirmer's (tear production) test, I thought for sure the opthamologist was going to go 'HAH! Liar! You don't have dry eyes.', but it turns out I did have pretty dry eyes. Likewise, when my rheumatologist examined my mouth, I thought I was having a good day with no mouth dryness, but she looked and said 'Oh, you're having a dry day, today, huh?'.