Author Topic: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...  (Read 15695 times)

Net

Re: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 08:21:09 AM »
Surprisingly 'my' Rheumy was a bit sympathetic when he actually told me that I kinda get the raw end of the deal with having sjogrens 'and' osteoarthritis. In a later appt I asked if this was a bit young to be having all these osteo issues then he just kinda said 'sometimes those are just the cards we are dealt with in life'.....I wasn't exactly asking for sympathy I just kinda wondering 'why' at 46 I'm comparing my hands and feet to a friend that is in her 70's. But I guess I didn't really get an answer. 
But as always, I am thankful for the times when I feel good, which actually my feet are letting me sleep again...yeah!!
For those of you with pain all the time, wow, I sympathize with you because not being able to sleep especially from pain is not fun at all.
I have a coworker who decided to have a knee surgery just because she can't kneel on it. She has no pain at night, no pain when walking or sitting. I think she is nuts...I would just be happy not kneeling on it be thankful you don't have chronice pain. Why mess with it and wonder what's next.
I am thankful that my foot is so far just a mild osteo because the thought of having to make a surgical decision I am not ready for. And like I said, thank goodness mine seems to have subsided...taking the good when it comes :)
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

jazzlover

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »

I have a coworker who decided to have a knee surgery just because she can't kneel on it. She has no pain at night, no pain when walking or sitting. I think she is nuts...I would just be happy not kneeling on it be thankful you don't have chronice pain. Why mess with it and wonder what's next.

-
My SIL jumped into hip surgery WAY TOO SOON. She was not having that much pain... only affected her sleep occasionally and she walked just fine. She says now that the DRs lied to her about it all. Took her one year to recover. Now she has even more issues... like with her back and knee.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

nanamaryj

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else had osteo in their feet like I do.  Mine is not in the toe joints though.  It is on the top of my foot.  I have a large nodule that swells and hurts so bad that at times I can't walk at all.  It has been in my right foot for a couple of years.  Now it is starting in my left one.  Thankfully that one is not bad yet.  Both hands have osteo also, along with my knees, hips, back, and left shoulder.  I have forgotten what it is like not to feel pain.  Anyone else have it on the top of their foot like that?

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 03:17:09 AM »
This is what Elaine Moore writes in her article about SJS:
While most patients with Sjogren's syndrome have symptoms limited to sicca syndrome, a subset of patients may develop extraglandular symptoms, that is, symptoms not related to the glands. These symptoms include fatigue, rash, cutaneous vasculitis, Raynaud's phenomenon, arthralgia (joint pain), myalgia (muscle pain), myositis (muscle inflammation), frank arthritis, and a particular form of erosive or aggressive osteoarthritis affecting the hands and feet. [/u]

Jill
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

Katybarstool

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
I have osteo arthritis in my hands and feet. My rheumatologist called it nodular arthritis of the menopause. Interestingly, he had the same condition :o - said he had inherited it from his mum.

Kathyx

Net

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
nanamaryj- the big joint on both my feet have nodules on top. Now mine seem better, still there, just not so painful.
Now my right hand thumb joint closest to my wrist is very painful and inflamed, almost like it jumped to a new joint, I hate to think what is next but like gold55 said about the article that it seems to be feet and hands and erosive? I'm going on 46 next week and have seen lots of changes in the past  8 mos with my toe and thumb joints so I can almost guess that it is erosive. I am supposed to keep Rheumy up to date cuz I did call him about my thumb now to keep him informed. I have the bad habit of trying to figure things out myself and I told my Rheumy I will try to keep him informed more as I have probs.    I do have to say that even though the thumb hurts and is bothersome at least I can sleep compared to the foot arthritis. :)
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 12:45:36 AM »
My dad and brother both had pain in their big toes, and diagnosed with Gout. They have to take the gout meds the rest of their life. It's inflammatory, and arthritic.

My dad's feet are so bad, he has toes on top of other toes from the arthritis. This stuff is bad.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »
Net, I remember when all of your foot symptoms flared up and I could really identify with that!  I felt so bad for you and as Carolina said....the initial flare up of osteo is the bad one....the rest of them aren't as bad in most cases.   I hope you have your feet and hands under control now.  It sure seems that SJS and Osteo have to be related.  They say we are supposed to have the rheumatic type of arthritis however, it seems that almost everyone diagnosed with SJS has Osteo!  I wish there were a study about this.  I could only find that article I quoted from Elaine Moore.
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

slccom

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
I realized that my left big toe was fighting the tucked-in sheets all night. I started leaving them loose, and the pain in that joint is gone now.

Sharon

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »
Sharon,
Does the arthrotec seem to help you?  thanks, Jill

slccom

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »
Yes, but I switched to generic diclofenac because I inherited my grandmother's cast iron stomach to go with her arthritis. (She used to take 30 aspirin a day for her RH!). The other half of Arthrotec is to help the stomach. Arthrotec is really expensive, and you should ask your doc about taking omeprozole with the diclofenac.

I loved Vioxx, as it was wonderful when diclofenac quit working. But it works again now. If it quits working, I'll have to try another anti-inflammatory.

Do loosen your bedding and see if that helps, too.
Sharon

Net

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »
Feet hanging in there....started meloxicam in January and gabapentin about a month later. Immunologist is having me do azithromiacin monthly as an anti inflammatory treatment to get off so much predisone for sinus probs. he was worried some of my foot deformity was due to predisone but had a good 8 year later bone density scan. Yea to that but started a post tonite that I have to have my large colon removed next week.....oh another path in the road.....please send prayers and positive vibes....Net

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 06:11:50 AM »
Heavens, Net, you are having the epitome of my saying:  "It's always something....and then it's something else!"

Your entire large intestine?  I will look for that post.

We must learn something along the lines of coping skills (for me is relaxation and meditation, deep breathing and focussing my mind away from pain and sorrow) in order to deal with life.  But I have to say that you are having a 'perfect storm' of pain and sorrow.

Know that our prayers and thoughts and love are with you.  Please keep us posted.

Hugs, Elaine

Female-Elaine,79-CVID-pSJS-WMD (Eylea) C-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamx-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Om. 3-Naltrexone-Esomep.

Net

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »
Thanks Carolina!   My neighbor next door offered an essential oil aroma therapy today and Monday to me as a gift to help me relax.....couldn't hurt I told her...lol....but now I do worry that it isnt too strong smelling that a get a migraine from it...lol..always something!
My arthritic feet especially left are pretty Wierd lately cuz I got a steroid back injection to add on to my issues...and boy he hit the nerve! Excruciating! But after I was quite numb and my toes half are too yet!