Author Topic: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...  (Read 15573 times)

eye2dry

Re: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »
Gold55.....
yes, I take Plaquenil 400mg/day and I too still experience the toe pain...not the great toe but the others...mostly afflicted to right foot.

It's the worst after sitting down for awhile and getting up in morning.....strange being on my feet at work keeps it from hurting and the drive home it is really acting up.

eye2dry

Net

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
My Rheumy probably would say no the vol. gel since he's watching my stomach so much. 
My feet have  given my issues for the past 3 yrs with sjogrens , especially flareups around February or March where I could barely walk on them in the middle of the night or morning or after work. But now it seems the big toe joint is doing some joint changes, I guess I'll see what the xray says. It's almost like it is lower than my other toes now and to pull it up hurts the joint. At least the joint inject. worked for a month but I guess he doesn't want to give  me another. Cross my fingers, I'm gonna just try the icing for sleeping tonite.
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 06:13:51 PM »
@eye2dry.....your feet sound like mine only my pain is in the big toe joints like Net's.  I definitely feel better using them and at the end of the day I can feel the stiffness and pain coming.  I'm really sad that the feet don't seem to do better with Plaquenil!  That's really disappointing :(

@Net.....yes, as Jazz says it is prescription and you have to be careful NOT to be taking any other NSAIDS when you are using it.  It's either/or.  So when I don't take Mobic or Ibuprofen, I use the Voltaren gel.  It depends on what kind of a day I'm having.  When my toes were bothering me and my left forearm/wrist was stinging, I used Voltaren gel on both and it really helped during work and at night.  When I've used it  at night my toes aren't stiff in the morning.  As others have said we're all individual so you have to try it to see....it has not made me sick to my stomach.....you use a very tiny amount on the areas.  When I had right occipital neuralgia, I had to take Voltaren by mouth for about 3 months.  It really worked along with physical therapy and rest.  So, I knew the gel would not bother my stomach.  They come in huge tubes and I got 5 tubes for $60.00 copay so you can figure what one or two tubes would cost if you have insurance.  I like to rotate from pills to gel because I don't want to always be popping the pills however, the medicine gets into your body via the skin so I guess it's all the same......I have become worried about ruining my tummy! 
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

Net

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »
yes, the right foot is the worse for me too ..eye2dry..It feels hot and burning when up and about and then the nights get worse....do you have any wierd nails on that foot also?  My r foot has 3 nails that grow really thick and the ends of my toes are super cracked and dry.  I went through this nail thing with my fingernails a few years ago when  I was in a bad flare( very achey and feet pain  for  along time....) and then when I started feeling better wallah...my nails got better and have been ever since.  But the toe nails have looked pretty bad for about 1 1/2 yrs now.
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

Net

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
Called Doc's nurse to get something instead of vicaden, seems I still get migraines from that like I used to. Although last night I slept really good and only iced my foot a bit. Maybe it was just a bad flareup, cross my toes :)  I did have 2 days off, so back to work today.
Nurse said the xray said mild to modest arthritis is the toe joint but I don't think she said anything else, so that's good news :)

Katybarstool

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
Net

A lot of people find it drying, but I take 25 mgs amitriptyline for my feet. I have arthritis in my feet, and also some kind of neuropathy, and it was so painful before I started taking this drug. It's so much better now. I also have to wear the orthotics, otherwise I get shin splint like pain, which is horrible, but my feet are flat, so the orthotics help my posture, which reduces the pain.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Kathyx

Net

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
My 10 yr old takes amitriptilyne for migraine prevention. Isn't it also an antidepressant and /or an antiseizure medicine?
Had a really good day on my feet but I do have tyl/cod now for bedtime. My Pharmacist said that the reason I get migraine from vidadin is actually a medical term or condition , so no more of that for me. I hadn't tried it in about 5 years so I guess I thought maybe it was all in my head so to speak since I took it after my brain/neck surgery and got migraines then.
Nite all....

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »
The thing about osteoarthritis, of any part of your body, is that it isn't an autoimmune condition, and it isn't even technically an inflammatory disease.

So no chemo or immune suppressing medication will help it.

Sorry.

Nothing can help or stop the progress of the disease, actually.

Only pain medications, sometimes surgery, and avoiding any condition which causes inflammation (like the flu) which then sets off the pain in all affected joints.

It is the bane of my life, and along with my peripheral neuropathy is the most disabling for me.

I wish you all the best.

Hugs

Elaine

Xrays can show whether or not the condition is osteo or rheumatoid arthritis, and whether or not the osteo is also erosive.

It is all confusing!

http://osteoarthritis.about.com/od/osteoarthritissymptoms/a/erosive_OA.htm

Erosive osteoarthritis is considered a subtype of osteoarthritis. Erosive osteoarthritis is sometimes referred to as inflammatory osteoarthritis, which seems like a contradictory term to many people who believe osteoarthritis is not associated with inflammation.

•Does Inflammation Play a Role in Osteoarthritis?

Initially, symptoms of erosive osteoarthritis may be confused with rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis. Erosive osteoarthritis is primarily characterized by erosions of cartilage in the hands. Middle-aged or post-menopausal women are most commonly affected. Studies have shown evidence of erosions in other joints too but the severe, aggressive type of hand disease associated with erosive osteoarthritis defines the disease.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:44:09 PM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

Net

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
yah, what I've been googling isn't too promising...especially erosive osteo-that seems to be kinda quick progressing.  To have sjogrens and osteo together doesn't seem too wonderful. Being almost 46 I was comparing my arthritis with my sisters motherinlaw who is near 70. Just plain old 2 tylenol helps her when she hurts.  I had 2 good nites of sleep now so I am hoping I was in a bad flare, I usually am ok w/ some vague pain been when it keeps you a awake it's so bad that bites! Will keep you all posted and please keep in touch too! :)

Net

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »
Carolina...Well got my xray report  and is showing mild osteoarthritis of the first mtp joint. So I'm taking it as good news that it is not showing erosion on the xray or any joint problems. Boy, for how it had been hurting I'd hate to think of how your severe osteo hurts especially if mine is mild. :(
So far having a better week but am ready to go to bed after a very hard day on my feet so we'll see how things feel tonite. I am thankful to have  tyl/cod as a backup now.

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »
Hi,
I've got the same thing that Net is suffering from only my flareup was last year which also yielded a tentative diagnosis for SJS.  I have the osteo in the big toe joints and starting in the right hand.  Do you find that taking chondroiton/glucosomine may benefit future damage?  I've been taking those Joint Juice shots for a year.  There are some with MSM included but I didn't know if it was safe to take MSM.  They say it helps inflammation but of course it's not FDA approved.  Does anyone have any experience with the Chondroiton/Glucosamine and MSM?
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

slccom

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
I find glucosamine/chondroitin to be very helpful for me. I ran out and forgot to put it back in my pills, and realized that I was hurting more. So I added it back in  and it really helps. There are others for whom it does nothing. The MSM helps reduce inflammation in some people. You really just need to run the experiment. My husband gets no benefit.
Sharon

jazzlover

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »
FDA?? Lord, I'd be dead already if I waited for the FDA to approve NATURAL substances!!!!

I've been taking glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM for about 8-10 yrs. Can't do without it.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2012, 06:51:38 PM »
I took Glucosamine/Chondroitan for about 10 years.  My Rheumy said 'it can't hurt'.   I stopped about 5 or 6 years ago.  It wasn't making
any noticeable difference.

But after this long I realize that some things work for some people, some thing don't work, and some things are impossible for some people to tolerate!

It's a case of trial and error, for sure.

With some of the errors being very costly in many ways!

Yes, the pain is very serious, to say the least.  If I hear one more time  "It's ONLY arthritis due to your age" I swear I will kill someone!

Yes, it IS arthritis.

And doctors say ONLY ARTHRITIS cause they can't do a thing for you.  It's like saying "It's only a VIRUS". 

Viruses can kill you!   And arthritis can cripple you and make you wish you WERE DEAD.   Well almost, for sure.

ONLY is the word doctors use cause they can't do anything, so they dismiss the problem.

Sigh.

I know they do their best, but they know very little, really, of what is out there in the big world of things that go wrong.

Well, we do what we can.

And keep smiling.

And keep each other posted.

Hugs

Elaine

Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 06:30:27 AM »
I wonder if Plaquenil has ever been tried for Osteo?  It seems as though its mainly for rheumatic diseases.

OSTEO sucks Carolina!!!