Author Topic: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...  (Read 15584 times)

Net

Re: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:57 AM »
Had Rheumy appt today, xray of foot and gout test.  Probably hear back tomorrow. Got Vicadin for pm's when foot is bad, already tonite. Had 2 days off work but my 1 8hr shift did it in again. Finally going to bed, and throbbing is better. Seems driving the car is getting painful too, like the joint doesn't want to bend and shoots up to my knee and even hamstring.
Gonna try ordering a sleeve like splint for toe but Rheumy thinks a referral to foot Dr. and possible joint type surgery is inevitable. will keep you posted, seems so extreme but I suppose xray will probably open my eyes as to why it is so painful. Night...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 07:54:48 AM »
Net,
I bought the orthopedic inserts ($300.00) that keep the big toes from bending.  I really can't wear any shoes for any length of time except my KSwiss tennis shoes.  I have to wear shoes that have more of a "rocker movement" instead of bending the joint every time I walk.  My rheumie did say that my right toe joint is almost bone on bone so I will have to get surgery at some point.   I don't wear the inserts daily.....I do well in my tennis shoes but I will use them when I start treadmilling again.....I keep saying this and haven't started!  I had to give up any kind of lifted heels a long time ago but luckily my job only requires clean tennis or nursing shoes.  When everything flared up and sent me to the doctor (the snynovial sacks around the joints were red and inflamed) I used Indocin and they were relieved in 3 days.  I haven't had a flareup like that in a year (knock on bones!).  We have Hangar orthopedics out here and that's where I got my inserts.  Being that you are on your feet a lot you may want to try this. 
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 07:19:01 AM »
Hope things are improving for you Net!  Foot pain SUCKS!!
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

slccom

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »
Net, it might be time to get hand controls for your car, preferably BEFORE you get into a crash due to uncooperative feet. I drive a friend's van with my feet, and she has hand controls. It won't keep anyone else from driving it.

Having a scooter or electric wheelchair to use on bad days is not "giving in" or somehow embarrassing. It says to others, "I can do what I need to when I need to do it because I am smart enough to get the assistive technology that I need."
Sharon

Net

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »
Hi gold55, slccom and all....
No things are not improving. My nights appear to be getting worse. Last night I tried 2 vicaden and wrapping my foot tight, massage, finally resorted to icepacking my right foot like a sandwich and wrapping it up. Basically at night it goes into a throbbing by the big toejoint and across the foot and some kind of nerve pain all the way up to my knee and even toward the hamstring.
I did hear that my gout test was normal. But haven't heard back on the foot xray. Rheumy is on my agenda again to call on Monday, guess I better get that referral to the podiatrist. I ordered the bunion compression sling through footsmart that Rheumy suggested but of course won't be here for about 5 days.
My days are ok, I just keep busy walking and wearing my tennishoes and it basically is just hot and tight feeling and pain up leg is just kinda always there now I guess.
Sucky being since my Gallbladder removal I am feeling so good but at least the sjogrens arthritis seems better. Never a dull moment huh?
I'll keep puttering along,working to pay the bills, raising our 3 great girls, and take one day at a time...:)
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »
So sorry Net.  I can totally relate to the foot thing and the feeling of nerve pain across the top of the foot but I can't relate to that leg pain!!!  Ouch that seems horrible.  With all the nerve pain I seem to have or experienced I just got back my nerve conduction study and it really doesn't report anything bad except some entrapment in my wrist areas, less where I had carpal tunnel surgery.  So, I say, where is this nerve pain coming from???
Hope the bunyion compression helps??  I'm not sure if you need a foot doc.....your rheumie should be able to tell you if this is osteo or SJS altho my rheumies have yet to tell me that my foot problems are SJS ..... many people on here have the same foot problems and they have SJS so it looks to me to be a definite SJS thing!!!  Ahhhhhh will we ever get definitive answers??

Net

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Yes, the world of sjogrens sure seems to be a lot of figuring ourselves out doesn't it? 
I think my dad takes a nerve pain pill, does anyone else have any luck? I did ask my Rheumy but I think that was the medicine he worried about the effect on my stomach along with my other meds. He hasn't exactly said it but it seems that since my gallbladder removal he seems to be watching stomach issues more. Sjogren related...the gallbladder stopping working? who knows huh?
Hoping to sleep tonite, I have my plan of sandwiching my foot in ice. Obviously the vicaden doesn't work for this pain??because it is nerve???
Sure glad my antidepressants are working and I'm having a good attitude about all of this.
Slccom...you said about the hands free driving, wow, that seems so extreme to even think of that but I suppose things will be inevitable.
Thanks everyone for all your inputs....Keep throwing them at me....:)

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »
Let us know the results of your foot xrays.  Mine told me a lot and made me less worried about all of my toes.  For now, the problems are isolated in my big toe joints with no signs of inflammatory arthritis.......sure feels like inflammatory arthritis when it kicks up!!!

jazzlover

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 11:18:32 AM »
Yes, the paraffin spa is good. Sometimes my back pain is so bad that I can't "handle" the spa thing. UGH.

I have plantar's too and neuropathy. It's killing my life! I hope to see a neurologist soon, as I have bad neck and back pain that may be affecting my feet.

I just began getting a nodule on my second toe. What's up with that??

Net.. Re: nerve pain meds:

Lyrica made my pain worse and neurontin made my feet and legs swell up.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:23:26 AM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
I'm glad I didn't try either lyrica or neurontin....altho I had an RX for the latter! 

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
Does anyone here take Plaquenil and still have the terrible foot, toe joint and hand pain??  If this hand and foot arthritis is part of SJS then I would think Plaquenil would help?!

Net

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
I take Plaquinel for 4 yrs now I think, 400 mg.  also etodalac 500 mg 1 or 2 x day.
P.s. How do you put on the bottom of your posts your diagnosis and meds on?  I like to look at that but I don't know how to update my profile to say that.-thanks

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
Just go into your "forum profile" and under "signature" add all your meds.
Did I mention that I use Voltaren gel on those bumps on my toe joints and it really numbs the pain out!

Net

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
I'll have to google the volt. gel, is it a prescription or overthe counter? Thanks for the inputs...Net

jazzlover

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
Voltaren is a prescription. I tried to take it, but it affected my stomach just like ibuprofen does. It was also affecting my heart. So be careful.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease