Author Topic: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...  (Read 15574 times)

Net

osteoarthritis of the feet questions...
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:13:44 AM »
Anyone suffering from osteoarthritis and/or erosive osteoarthritis of the feet?
I am supposed to keep my Dr. updated, seems especially my right foot has had lots of arthritic changes in the past 6  months. Left foot and hands are slowly starting. I am going on 46 yrs old. I have sjogrens, chiari 1 malformation, chronic sinusitis. Just had to get gallbladder out and had a bad flare of arthritis during that inflammmatory episode. 1 month later back to work but foot is 'doing me in' especially at bedtime.
He is on my agenda to call on Monday, been suffering the last two nights unable to sleep due to throbbing big toe joint and now it seems small toe too and shooting up to my knee. I am on predisone currently for sinus issues, 30 mg, plaquinel 400 mg, etodolac 500 mg 2x, arthritis tylenol, pain relieving cream, and now snuck some ibuprofen at 3 am even though that I'm not supposed to take. Last time he tried tylenol with codeine so I could sleep at least. Days are ok, burning, shoe breaks, but it's these darn nights. I've had one joint injection in big toe joint 1 month ago and seemed to help but I guess not too good if it's back in full force already on predisone too. :(
Dr. talked of doing a mri to check for erosion. Don't know if that is just an answer for him or if there are other meds to try.
Any input from anyone dealing with this would be great.
Thanks _Net
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

Linda196

• Administrator
Re: osteoarthritis of the feet questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:41:30 AM »
I'm sorry You're going through this, but I would caution you about the ibuprophen in combination with another NSAID like etodolac. It's not just a matter of doubling up on medication, two NSAIDS taken together tend to have a compounding effect on possible adverse reactions.

I've had small joint osteo/inflammatory arthritis for many years. Oddly enough, it wasn't terrible when I was working and on my feet for 12 hour shifts, but recently the joints of the 2-4 toe in both feet and the 4+5 joint in both hands have broken down, with erosion causing changes in angulation and swelling.  During the 30 odd years this has been building up I've taken just about every NSAID and COX2I out there, along with narcotic and non-narcotic pain meds, and now take a combo of Prednisone, Plaquenil and Methotrexate, with acetaminophen and codeine when needed.

To be honest, the best pain reduction I've found is from supportive custom orthotics, foot soaks and reflexology/massage. I also meditate and use biofeedback mechanisms taught to me by my pain management doctor. I've found I simply can't sleep with anything on my feet, so my splints don't help me to sleep, but before bedtime I wear the splints if I'm just relaxing, then soak my feet in and epsom salt bath with lavender essential oil, wrap them in a warm moist towel until it no longer feels warm, then head for bed. If it's chilly in my room (which I prefer) I sometimes warm the sheets at the foot of the bed with a hot pad, before getting in, but I take the pad out before I go to sleep.

I hope you can find some relief, foot pain ranks up there with tooth pain in intensity  :(
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

Net

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:40:28 AM »
Thanks Linda for the inputs.  Yes, the ibuprofen was out of desperation last night at  3 a.m.  but finally after 2 benedryl to sleep and icepacks wrapped around by foot with blankets and a somewhat bent leg elevation  I finally got a few hours sleep again. I had thought about the hot bath and heating pad as a next resort like you said.
Sometimes it seems so amazing that a foot can hurt so bad and just have a few swellon joints.  I'll keep the reflexology and massage before bedtime in mind. Maybe I'm just doing too much before bed too like walking the dog earlier or just chasing the kids around.
Doc is on my agenda though Monday and last time the tylenol codeine worked for that getting to sleep/pain relief.
I have heard about the Methotrexate(spelling) but will have to see what doc says and side effects. I do a lot of bursts of pred in winter for sinus issues but usually my summers are better and I of course know how pred can effect of bodies. Usually when I'm on it I 'do' feel really good so I 'am' surprised that it is not helping but maybe since I take it before 3 pm.
Better get to work....just glad I got a few zzzzzzzzzzzz's.
Thanks again for advice :)   Net
Sjogrens,Chiari 1 malformation, osteoartritis of feet and hands,chronic sinus inflammation

Meds: plaquinel,etodolac,sertraline,restastis,clortimizale troches, pulmicort,predisone(bursts)

artistangie

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »
oddly, my toes are hurting... bad enough to make walking unbearable and it started yesterday.

my husband is bewildered and i can tell he believes me but at the same time finds it hard to believe yanno what i mean? 

Net

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
I like your quote artistangie.....Sometimes people say that I'm glowing and I always say "cuz when I feel good I really appreciate feeling good!!"  And even though my foot is burning and throbbing and kept me up all night again, at least my gallbladder and sjogren arthritis are so much better!
Kids called me after work to meet them at Grammas and swim, sound like good therapy to me and soak up some of the vitamin D.
Hoping for a better nights sleep and calling Rheumy tomorrrow.

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:01:41 PM »
I have osteoarthiritis in all my toes except both big ones.  Tylenol helps a little bit.  I find IcyHot rubbed in right before I go to sleeps helps a lot more.  I can not take Advil or Aleve or any medicine prescribed for arthiritis because of kidney disease.  There are lots of medicines doctors can prescibed to help with the pain.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
Hi Net, my foot pain buddy.....big toe joints are my area....also, my right hand is starting and a bit in the left hand.  I must say that my right big toe joint has been brewing for 10 years but when the left joint started I knew I had to see a doc!  I believe mine is almost bone on bone in the right joint.....my rheumie said surgery is inevitable! 

Not too much has helped me by mouth except indocin took the inflammation down in a couple days.  Since then I've tried Mobic and it's OK.....I think Voltaren gel has helped me but you have to remember to not take Ibuprofen or others if you're using the Voltaren gel and vice versa.

Hot baths help my feet and body to unstiffen......also, with the burning feet and so said "nerve pain" taking Effexor has greatly helped.  MY doctor describes it like Cymbalta but with much less drying effects.  I have an RX for neurontin but I was reluctant to try it.   Since my big flare when I got diagnosed my arthritis and other aches and pains seem to be worse every day....before I had aches and pains but I managed ....  now, it seems as if I have "inflammatory types of pain in muscles, tendons and joints"....so far fingers, hands and big toe joints have been the worst.  I've got a new thing in my left forearm that seems like a long tendon going up to the wrist....very very painful one morning and each time I move my hand in a circle it rubs on something else in my forearm.....my rheumie didn't do anything about it!  I suppose I'll be getting yearly xrays to check to see how much cartlidge I'm losing in my toes and fingers.

Hope you get better.  I do seem to be suffering more in this heat than I did in our winter months?!!
I'll be thinking of you.
Jill
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

eye2dry

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
My early first symptoms of joint pain included my feet..mainly 2-5th toes..not great toe. It hurt to put my feet down when getting out of bed in the am. and after 5 min of hobbling it went away. Then after a 9-10 hour shift at work..driving home my toes would hurt and burn.

My rheumy had my feet xrayed and no erosive changes were seen. According to what I have read up on SJS.... foot/toe pain is a symptom of it. My rhuemy also says I have RA.

How in the world can my dr. tell what is causing this? SJS? RA? Osteo?
Even with Plaquenil and while on MTX I still got it.

Surprsingly it mostly occurs whil inactive.

eyye2dry

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
I agree eye2dry....mine are worse when inactive which I thought was a sign of osteoarthritis....RA usually hurts no matter if inactive or active??  I do have bone spurs and changes in the big toe joints however, they have not termed it erosive but, I would call it that!  No changes in my fingers yet!  My rheumie is now questioning whether I have some form of inflammatory arthritis....duhhhhh, Sjogrens is what I'd say!!!
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

artsyamerican

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
I went through the whole plantar fascitis (sp?) years ago.  Here lately my ankles have been killing me.  They feel like they are going to give out at any moment. Ugh.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:47:10 AM »
Dearest angel Net, and others:

I have severe osteoarthritis of my feet.  Not erosive, however.

My toes are almost fused from arthritis.  I have huge bumps on the first joint of both big toes, but they rise straight up, not to the side, which is quite unusual.

I have arthritis even in one of the ligaments that runs on the side, producing a bump on the outside edge of each foot, at the arch.  The worst pain in OA is  1)when the nodes/bumps/growths are first forming, and 2) whenever you have any other inflammation (flu, cold, infection, whatever).

Then all OA sites are set off throbbing and stabbing and burning.....or all three at once.

I also have the joy of peripheral neuropathy in my feet and legs.  So my feet are rather like heavy numb clubs at the end of my legs, but not numb enough to avoid the pain, of course.  The numbness is mostly on the surface.

I wish I could be more cheerful about this, Net.  Finding ways to avoid any illness or inflammation, and methods for dealing with pain, those are my solutions.

I can't take any opiate pain relievers, so getting to sleep is often almost impossible.

I am going to ask my family physician for an RX for a sleep medicine, for those occasions.  When Benedryl just isn't enough.  Cymbalta and Aleve do help, most of the time.   But when the pain is off and running, they are left at the gate, I'm afraid.

Good luck!

And keep us posted.

Oh for Plantars fascitas, which is horrible!, cortisone injections, and then wearing the right shoes helped me a lot.

Hugs

Elaine
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:46:00 PM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

Net

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
Carolina...that kinda seems like the outlook for foot arthritis doesn't it? Good luck to us all right?  My rheumy got me in this Wed at 2:00 to check things out  and hopefully some hopeful suggestions and or at least something to help me sleep through the throbbing. Last night was better. I got out this massaging ball thing and massaged my foot all over especially around joints and I took my etodolac closer to bedtime and slept with foot on a pillow. Not so throbbing but pain is up into my knee today and almost a numbness feeling with it. 2 days off work so hopefully that will help. Thanks for all your advices!

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
Carolina,
I have those big toe joint bumps just how you explained them.....going up and not to the side.  My right toe joint bump is bigger but I've had issues with that joint for at least 10 years.  My left to joint has just started but has a nice bump starting.  I had to go up a shoe size to avoid shoes rubbing on those bumps and I can't wear any hard tight shoes that cross those bumps or I'm in pain!!!!  I'm assuming this is part of SJS however, how do we really know that it's osteoarthritis and that we would have developed this whether we had SJS or not??  That's my big question that neither one of my rheumies can answer!!!! 

Cricket

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
Just a thought, as I do not suffer same thing, but how about a paraffin foot spa. It makes ny hands and feet feel great.  It is not expensive, can get at bed, bath and beyond.

Praying for all you ladies your feet, feel better!
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Net

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
I did get a foot spa thing about a month or 2 ago and it seemed to help to fall asleep but then it was that middle of the night waking, I actually was getting up at 3a.m there for a while to take hot baths just to sleep. But, yes, keeps handing the tips out, I will try anything/well...almost anything these days. :)