Author Topic: 2nd inspection update  (Read 1534 times)

ashewoman

2nd inspection update
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
Okay so the landlord failed the 2nd inspection.  My memory isn't very good right now but I don't think I told you guys this yet.  The refused to fix the roof and spray painted the ceiling in spots rather replacing the tiles.  Didn't clean the gutters which probably has a lot to do with the water problems.  And completely ignored the mandate to check the wiring and replace the light fixture that is in the center of this water damage.  The inspector was p.o.ed.  He cut off their payments and says if they don't fix it in 30 days I have to move.  I'm really hoping that now they know he means business they will suck it up and make the repairs correctly.  He tells me if they don't I will get 60-90 days to find another place.  I don't wannnna! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  Seriously, I so do not want to move. I just feel like throwing a little kicking hissy fit when I think about it.  The child inside me says, "But it's not my fault" in the most annoying and nasally whine.  lolololol :D  In the meantime, I've been told under no circumstance am I to pay the portion of the rent that the govt usually pays.  I am only to pay my part and they can't make me pay that so if they tell me to I am supposed to ignore them.  That's good because if I could pay that part I wouldn't get assistance in the first place right?  LOL  I feel so out of control in this situation.  It's like having warring parents pulling you into their fight.  The landlord is doing their thing... the inspector is doing his thing... and I'm stuck in the middle and trying not to get in trouble while they have their little war, but I feel like I'm the one with the most to lose and the least power over what happens.  :(

quietdynamics

Re: 2nd inspection update
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:31:01 PM »
A single Mom friend of mine was in a similar situation. It was a while ago... Look up renter rights for your state. Even with assistance they apply to all renters. You could have be withholding rent, esp in light of the severity of the problems; electrical. Also, with the water damage you can have the apt checked for "mold".

I think when the landlord is not in compliance you can withhold your part of the rent and put it into a separate escrow account. You would have to send a certified letter that you are doing this and the account number to the landlord and probably the rental assistance office as well. Get a summary of repairs and inspector report. The account has to be separate from any of your money...you cannot "co-mingle" funds.  I would contact whoever handles the rent assistance and see if the landlord would be responsible for moving expenses, as their negligence is the cause of the move? Contact legal aide? Do some research.   

Is this a duplex? or a garden apt situation. Tick the inspector off enough the certification can get pull for the all the apts....ouch!!!
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

artistangie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:48:12 AM »
my sister is in a similar spot now, i feel so helpless for her, its hard to imagine how Yall must feel  :(

eye2dry

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »
Get the health Dept and Fire marshall in on the action.......heads may roll then.

eye2dry

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »
It must be so frustrating dealing with all this, and wondering what is going to happen. I pray that it all turns out good for you, and that you can stay.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi