Author Topic: Thinking about going back to work....  (Read 2033 times)

sktaylor

Thinking about going back to work....
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:27:16 AM »
Good morning friends :). Today has not started off so well. I woke with a migraine which always makes for a wonderful day.

I have not worked since may 2011. I have filed a claim for disability, but I don't hold out much hope. We have not had insurance for about a year and a half so I can not have all the tests the doctor recommends or see a neuro about other issues. My husband went back to work after about 2 1/2 years. We just found out that when his insurance takes effect it will not cover pre-existing conditions for 12 months. That won't help me at all.

I have been looking for part time employment because I was told in my state I can make up to $1010.00 and still qualify for disability. The problem with that is all the jobs that fall in that range require things I am not physically able to do. So I have started applying for other positions which would make me ineligible for disability. I am at a loss as what to do.  :-\

Has anyone been in this position? I think I could hold down a job, but what if it doesn't work out and I ruin my chance for SSD? ???

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Thinking about going back to work....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:20:39 AM »
From my experience if you work for one hour per week you will not be granted disability. After you get disability you can do some supplemental work. Often I am told that I am too intelligent to not be hired by someone. I would love to find out who they are thinking of.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

quietdynamics

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
I would make an appt with social security and talk to them.

Tell them you cannot afford the medically necessary treatment you need as "prescribed by your doctor". If you have the scripts for the tests he wants take those with you. Call and make a sit down appt, not a walk in and get a number one.

And make an appt. with a disability attorney. The consultation really is free. Do not sign any papers. Just gather information...for now.

In the phone book....are human services or call 2-1-1 and tell them your situation re: medical care/no coverage and ask for help. Have a paper and pen next to you.

My understanding was that if you can work part-time ....then you are not disabled.

In NJ there had to be a 6 month time of no work...may be different in other states, but would be a shame to lose that time if you need it to qualify. Take a job and then find you cannot handle it, then have to start the 6 months over again. You may be eligible for SSDI, in the meantime?

I wish Sjogrensworld had guest speakers....we really need guidance and accurate information.
Sjogrens ANA 1:640; SS-A/B+; Fibro; IBS; Neuro symptoms,Thyroid Anti-bodies; Ocular Rosacea, Livedo reticularis,

"You can't have a positive life with a  negative mind"

lostone

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:22:05 AM »
as joe said,, after you get SSDI,, then apply for work through SSDI,, there back to work program,, I think the monthly limit is a 1000 dollars

Meld256

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »
Hi sktaylor,

First of all, I'm so sorry you're dealing with a migraine.  I sure hope you're beginning to feel better.

In answer to your questions, I understand what a rough spot you must be in financially.  Quietdynamics gave some good information.
Like many others, I was recently in a tough spot before my SS Disability was approved, so I can relate.

It seems a good suggestion to make an appt. and go sit down and talk with someone at your local Social Security office.  Even better may be to go see a disability attorney (one who is reputable and specializes in these cases) to give you some tips.  It should be a free consulation just to ask questions.

In the meantime, you might want to visit ssa.gov, the SS website which gives lots of info. about qualifications.  One of the first questions is: Are you working now?   If you are working at ALL, they will not consider you for approval since you will not be deemed "disabled".   

I'm sorry about the insurance problems, too.  You may qualify for SSDI which is extra income for those with a certain household income.  If I remember correctly, that would be approved along with your regular SS Disability, but please check since I may be wrong. 

I hope this info. helps a bit.  Let me know if you have more questions and I'll try my best to answer. :)

May I ask how long ago you filed, and did you file without the help of an attorney?

iraisin

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:57:40 AM »
When my sister filed, she was denied a few times - she got a bad attorney (that ran for office in the election at that time...go figure). She and i stayed up late writing her argument, filed it, and she was grant SSD shortly thereafter.

She is now waiting until November for her medical benefits - here in TX, it takes 2 years once granted SSD to get Medicaid...standard waiting time here. You may want to find out how long the wait time is from your approval to the time you get "insurance".

In the meantime, for things like the car breaking down, immediate needs, not long-term needs, there's a site called modestneeds.org.  You may want to read about it and see what it is. But it can help people from falling too deep when going through those situations that can hinder getting to work, even maybe getting a particular medical test done. They don't do the really big stuff - just the nudges people need to keep going.

Look into gov. assisted Medicaid in the meantime too. You may qualify for at least some relief on that front.

My heart goes out to you. Finances are hard in their own right. Dealing with them when you're not feeling well is even tougher. God bless you and may you find favor with Him in this fight.

HeatherS

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »
I'm sorry you're having problems with ssdi and finding the right job.  I've been on ssdi before and it was helpful but the stress from having to deal with the bureaucracy was horrible.  I don't know where you are, but where I live there are a lot of p/t and f/t positions listed on craigslist that are sitting jobs, especially in the admin and health sections.  You might be able to find something that's one day/week.  Maybe if you find you can handle that you could eventually try working more for that company, especially if there's a problem with ssdi.  I had to change my job recently because of my health.  I've been lucky to have flexible employers in the past who were willing to adjust my hours and duties as needed.

sktaylor

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:11 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I have sought the advice of an attorney and I 'thought' I could work now, before actually being approved. I need to check that out to make sure. I did check SSDI and I do not qualify. In WV you have to make almost nothing to receive it.

I will have to do some further checking.