Author Topic: Wreck  (Read 1777 times)

ashewoman

Wreck
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »
Okay, my appt was today and the light at the end of the tunnel of this particular health problem really was a train.  I'm wrecked.  He told me not to expect the treatment he prescribed to give any help at all for 4-5 months, flatly refused to address my pain and implied I was seeking drugs, and said frankly it was unlikely the treatment would help me at all because it rarely helps anyone.  I'm thinking "Well Jeez, don't sugar coat it or anything.  God forbid there was any hope at all."  And if it seemed like I was drug seeking, I'm not sure how else to explain to a medical professional that you are in excruciating pain without implying you'd like something to be done about it.  I mean really, that's like accusing all teenagers of being money grubbing gold diggers for asking their parents for an allowance?  They need money and who else are the supposed to ask?  If I was seeking drugs I'd ask a drug dealer not a doctor for a prescription.  I don't know I am sure the whole experience was magnified by the fact my pain which generally has a fluctuation between 6-10 on the pain scale but never really stops was at a high 10.  I mean if I could have answered 12 I would have.  And I spent two hours in an uncomfortable waiting area with that level of pain because I couldn't take anything for it having fasted for lab work before the appt.  My regular medication would have probably lowered me back down to a 6 but I wasn't able to do anything about it.  Furthermore, he said PCP should be addressing pain and she had already said Rhuematologist would be addressing it.  So I feel more like a kid being passed back and forth between arguing parents.  "Did you ask your dad?" "No no no, Go ask your mom." "Don't talk to me about that. Go ask your dad."  I was so deeply immersed in dark despair I came home and went to straight to sleep until a little while ago.  I think I needed to allow my subconscious to process the BS that just happened.  And now that I have, honestly, all I want to do now is crawl back in bed and hibernate until next week.

Gayle

Re: Wreck
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
<<<<<<<<< HUGS >>>>>>>>>>>  so sorry you had a terrible visit. Don't blame yourself. Apparently you saw a Dr who has forgot the reason he is to be a Dr. Find someone who can help you. Somehow. Sending prayers for you too!
Gayle

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
I'm not surprised you want to hibernate - what a horrible experience. I agree, regroup, and have a look for another, more empathetic, doctor.

Hugs
Kathyx

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
I think it sounds like time to get a referral to a pain clinic. This way they can assess your pain and propensity for habitual to drugs, etc. The good thing about pain is that the pain meds do help. The bad thing is that the pain meds that kill the pain are all habituating.

I have a 73 year old hubby on pain meds now and we count the pills and never go over a certain number a day. Doc only gives a certain number of refills. There is such a bad drug problem now days that the doctors are very stringently monitored for the amount of scripts that they are writing.

Please do not think that a pain clinic is to "check out your story". Pain clinics are for the diagnosis, assessment and treatment of pain. You should get more information and alternatives for pain treatment at a pain clinic. Good luck. Irish

WildThing

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
OMG that's awful.  I feel your frustration because similar has hapenned to me.  I actually travelled for 4 hours once to be told similar and was virtually pushed out of the door like he had no time for me.  I wish I had an answer, I really do but it does seem to me that some docs just plain don't care.  All I can suggest is getting a second opinion maybe?  And a different PCP? You should not have to put up with such awful treatment.  I know it's hard to take a stand sometimes because you feel so vulnerable once you're there but  no-one else gives a **** so you have to really take as much control as you feel strong enough to. *hugs*

elliea

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »
Find another doctor!  Good luck :)    Lesley

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »
I am sorry you had this experience. >:( I have been through that in the past, but my poor mother went through this for years with her peripheral neuropathy. She finally told me last year that she won't have relief until she dies.

She passed away this past March. She is now  pain free. I hope her doctors are happy that she isn't having to ask for help anymore.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi