Author Topic: Would any of you (especially ladies) comfortably go away on your own?  (Read 6839 times)

ashewoman

Re: Would any of you (especially ladies) comfortably go away on your own?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:40 AM »
Dear Lucy and Wild Thing--

I hear ya about being a natural vegetarian.  My parents were always pushing me to eat one more bite of hamburger as a little one.  So I'd take a bite of the bun and get into more trouble for being a smarty pants.  Of course, being a total vegetarian or vegan deep in the Southern United States is a challenge still because even the vegetables have meat in them.  I don't think it was a moral or political choice for me because I'd never met anyone who talked about that kind of thing and contrary to what most people complained about I wasn't just a picky eater either.  I just didn't like meat.  I suppose years and years of being badgered about it eventually wore me down until I'm not an adult vegetarian but there are still few meats I like.  I really think most of them are just disgusting. Now I have jaunts of vegetarianism and I wish I had more desire to stick up for my likes and dislikes, but frankly, it's too complicated to care about most of the time.  And I really dislike most of the trendy vegetarian and vegan choices that have become available as it has become more popular to be meat-free, and since I moved to a place that has a higher percentage of veg-heads.  Many of the restaurants on my street cater to cruelty-free dieters, but Jeez are they ever overpriced and unpalatable.  You don't have to be a picky eater to find gluten-free dairy-free pizza at $30 a pie unworthy of the effort required to eat it. I have to say in regards to the moral dilemma is I find it kind of unfair that no one cries for a head of lettuce when they eat a salad.  And I'm not sure it is kinder to let chickens romp around free-range and have fun if I'm just going to kill and eat them later.  The logic behind that is more bothersome to me than anything else.  However, I try to eat healthy and I try to not eat anything that can live under the seat of my car for a year without looking worse for wear.  As for traveling food, I really dislike paying too much for food when I just want to eat something to keep from getting a headache because I forgot to and I'm not sitting down to some sort of culinary experience so I usually stop at a grocery store and buy something simple to make sandwiches etc in the hotel room rather than end up paying too much to eat something fast and easy that I won't like.  PB&J can sit at room temperature even if there isn't one of those mini-fridges.  And most chain hotels have those in the room these days standard.  I make a much better sandwich for pennies on the dollar than fast food places do.  In cold weather, I nuke myself a cup of soup.  If the room doesn't come with a microwave, there's almost always one in the lobby.  Best of all, I can eat my econo-meal in the room in front of the tv in my pjs and if I spill it in bed... someone else does the sheets for me.  :)  GG

WildThing

Re: Would any of you (especially ladies) comfortably go away on your own?
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »
LOL ashe woman you do make me laugh you have a great sense of humour!  I know what you mean even in today's day and age veganism and vegetarianism isn't really catered for.  I live near to a capital city and even when I went there once into a sandwhich bar and asked for a vegan sandwhich they looked at me like I had two heads.  I find only small hippy dippy new agey towns cater for vegans properly now or even have a clue what a vegan is.  Some big, hugely expensive resteraunts don't even cater for vegans.  They might have one vegetarian thing on the menu and that's it, and that costs like an arm and a leg.  I think the only sensible thing for me or any vegan really is to rent a place when I go away that way I can just buy my own food and eat what I know I can eat.  It just makes me too darn nervous to think about going to restaurant on my own, paying through the nose for a meal that is supposedly vegan but actually isn't coz they haven't' a clue what 'vegan' means.

Eyeamdry:
I thought it would be sensible of me to email the b&bs and give them a link to the Vegan Society website in case they were stuck on what to feed me.  They do a section on the website especially dedicated to caterers.  That was all fine then I made a joke about how most b&bs think women who travel alone have scales under their skin and how nice it was that they were being friendly towards me and I guess theu didn't ge the joke so then I got radio silence, so yeah, pretty much written of the idea if a b&b now.  They can stuff it.  Works out cheaper self catering anyway even if you do have to think about washing the dishes, washing clothes, cleaning and tidying ect.  I like cleaning nayway.  Got OCD.

Sonya28

WildThing and to the rest of you too.....

I'm so jealous that you can even go anywhere on a vacation or out of town on your own.  I wish i could do that.  I have to admit, for me, driving to my Neuro into the city of Chicago was frightening, but I'm getting better at it.  I guess as least I'm attempting to make it there alone.  I want the joy and freedom of going away by myself.  I'm going to have to start small....locally, and see how far away I can get.  :) 

My very dear friend travels alone all the time.  I envy her.  :)

WildThing

Believe me Sonya there's nothing to envy.  I have been virtually housebound for two or more years due to extremely severe OCD.  It almost killed me.  I'm lucky to be here at all.  Haven't been anywhere in that time apart fromm docotrs appointments and been too ill and exhausted to cope with any normal day to day task, been in a right mess, you just wouldn't believe the mess I have been and am still in but I feel I need to do this and feel it's time.  Not sure hw I'll cope when I'm there but I'll just have to I guess.

Sonya28

Awww....ya know, the more I read peoples posts here, the more I see how connected we all are in one way or the other.  I can imagine how you feel because for five years I couldn't leave my own house, I had severe Agoraphobia.  Back then, we didn't have insurance, and even if we did, I don't think I could have handled going to the doctor.  It was so brutal...and I had a husband at that time that didn't 'get it' and didn't want to get it either.  Ugh....when I think back to those days, it's a miracle that I'm even here.  Life was horrific at best.  I was so afraid to go to sleep that I'd pray that God would just take me away.  I'll never forget it...I clutched a bible close to my chest, and finally (I don't know how it happened, maybe sheer exhaustion finally came), but I'd finally fall asleep.

I want so bad to be independent....and am slowly getting there. However, I still can't drive over a tall bridge.  (it's sorta funny, but I just can't do it).  I'd much rather give a lecture to a room of 200 people than be put through the torture of a bridge.  Geez....I sound silly, I'm sure.

Oh well....keep hangin' in there.  I know those words really don't mean much from a stranger, but at least you are trying.  And that itself is huge, if you ask me.   

eyeamdry

A note on this subject.  We went out to dinner tonight, along with our adult daughter.  I had a time going over the menu as they didn't care about vegans or vegetarians.  I had something I've eaten before which was a delicious salad with walnuts and a bunch of other things and I said to leave out the chicken.  I do get sick of salads, although I eat enough other "bad" foods.  LIke bread and sweets, oh and I love and crave string cheese!  I was out and had to buy 2 12 packages tonight.  Did enjoy our supper.  Lucy

WildThing

Kind words do mean a lot, even from a stranger Sonya.  You sound like a brave lady to have fought that horrible illness or whatever you want to call it  Maybe they are not illnesses at all but something else.  I know my OCD was  reaction to repressed memories of abuse.  My life was a living heck too, only the medication has brought me out of it so now I really feel like I need a break.  Looked in the mirror yesterday and saw such a sad, sorry stte of affairs I felt I could pack ad go away tomorrow if I could.  Can't, as I haven't booked a place to stay yet and need new clothes and a new suitcase lol.

Eyeamdry:  I know what you mean about unhealthy diets.  I eat rubbish food too.  Got into the habit with having OCD and thinking fresh food is contaminated.  If ever I do go out for lunch I do try to eat a salad as I wouldn't do normally.  Still, eating something is better than eating nothing at all