Author Topic: Would any of you (especially ladies) comfortably go away on your own?  (Read 6838 times)

Patze

Re: Would any of you (especially ladies) comfortably go away on your own?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
As long as you keep your wits about you, you should be okay WildThing.  And I love B&Bs, the owners can get quite creative with their rooms and they also know all the great places to see locally.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Duchess

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
Hi,

All of the above suggestions are great. I say to go for it and have a good time.

Make sure that someone ( family, friends, etc.) know where you are.

Enjoy yourself!

Duchess
58 y/o, Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, Mitral Valve Repair, Asthma, Myofascial Pain. Plaquenil, Inhalers, Ibuprofen,Exovac, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Omega 3, Eye Drops, Quinipril, Massage therapy.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »
I have to travel lots for my job, usually to larger cities where I've never been before.

I always make friends with the employees at the hotel as soon as possible. You'd be surprised how little it takes to endear yourself to strangers!

First, I give a memorable tip -- like 20 bucks -- to the person who parks my car in the hotel garage. Then when I check in I try to be overly friendly and very complimentary.

I give a good tip to the porter who carries my stuff to my room -- $2 per item rather than the usual $1 per item.

I usually have three or four $10 WalMart gift cards with me. After I check in and get my stuff all hung up I come back down to the desk and give one to the person who checked me in. I also give one to the night person after shift change, and another to the person at the desk in the morning. I leave a gift card or a couple of dollars on my pillow for the maid.

I am now very well-known at this hotel, even though I've only been there a couple of hours! I am treated like royalty the whole time I'm there.

Hope this helps!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Gayle

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
Hi!
I travel all the time alone. I love it... I get to do what I want... eat where I want, etc. I even travel international often by myself. I have been to the Republic of Georgia, Germany, Spain, Ukraine - alone. It is not a bad thing. Just be smart, stay in a good area, make friends with the front desk personnel, take a book with you while eating (Love my Kindle) or start up conversation - most people are happy to talk to you! I also have stayed at B&B and while I like them, they are not always available at short notice. Go! Enjoy! It is great to have time to and for yourself! Concierge's can be a great help too! Good luck and have fun!

WildThing

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 04:12:45 AM »
Thanks again ladies for the tips, most appreciated.  Well, I have emailed a couple of b&bs but believe it or not they are being funny with me when I tell them I'm on my own.  I have no idea why.  I emailed one and said 'do you cater for vegans?'...that's all I said and they said 'sorry all our rooms are double rooms' then I emailed another and  said 'do you cater for vegans?' and they were all like 'oh yes we'll do that for you no problem' then emailed them back and said 'do you charge a single supplement?'...radio silence lol.  I tried making a joke with one of them like 'do you think single vegan women over a certain age have scales'?  they just didn't get it I guess.  No bloody sense of humour at all.  Geez.  I'm going to have to camp out on the beach at this rate.  :o

THE BRIT

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
  I have travelled by myself and I go to the movies and out to eat by myself.  I like people watching so you have more time to that rather than having to think of something to say to someone else.  Ask for a more private table at dinnertime if you feel self concious.  I love having a room to myself with a large bed that I can spread out in and I can watch what I want to watch on the TV.  I live by myself anyway so I am used to not having someone to talk to.  I do also take a book or magazine but don't usually end up reading them

WildThing

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
Well I emailed a couple more b&bs now in the hope that they won't run a mile when I tell them I'm travelling alone so fingers crossed.  Want to stay as close to town as possible too so I only have a short walk from wherever I am to the b&b.

Patze

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
Keeping the fingers crossed that you find a really good B&B!

Patze

Sero Negative Queen

WildThing

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
Thanks Patze, am still looking, finding they are expensive though as I'm on my own.  If I was with someone else it'd be half the price.  Thinking of going self catering but that might also turn out expensive.  It does worry me a bit though trying to find somewhere to eat being vegan.

Patze

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
I understand what you mean, and I've had dinner with some "ah, interesting folks" when I've dined solo, so I don't do that much anymore.  A good book or a magazine tends to discourage folks wanting to join you (especially in restaurants that aren't crowded).

Patze

Sero Negative Queen

WildThing

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »
I have to admit, I dined out alone one night in a different town and the place was packed and I had a table to myself so some ladies asked if they could join me but we hit it off really well and found we had lots in common so that was nice.  However that is a very friendly town this one I am not so sure of this one even hough it is lovely to look at and has four beaches.  Am seriously thinking of going self catering now.  I think it might even work out cheaper than a b&b.  I have emailed 6 b&bs and all of them have either ignored me, been rude, weird or quoted me double rates for the night just because I am on my own.  It is bizarre.  Maybe I am not meant to stay at a b&b.  If I go self catering I won't have to worry about any of that I'll just pay for the rent of the place then buy my own food, food I know I can eat so as not to worry about eating out alone or eating in a resteraunt that doesn't cater for vegans.

ashewoman

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »
Yes.  But I was quite the adventurer when younger.  I haven't traveled much in the last few years and I'm all set to get into it again.  I'm even setting up for a possible career traveling as a sales distributor which would obviously be less glamorous than traveling for fun, but I turned into such a little hobbit for a while I want to break out.  But I do go to movies and dinner alone.  I'm much more likely to rent or order take out or delivery.  But if I'd been waiting for the perfect person to go do something with to go do something with I'd still be sitting in my home town pining. Of course, these days I have a hairy cheat sheet for travel.  I take a service dog with me everywhere.  But that's only because it became so hard to go on my own and because I do need help to operate independently.  So even when I'm alone I'm never really alone anymore.  Consider this though, if scaredy cat me can manage to walk out my front door, I know other people can because there is nothing brave or special about me.  I'm just too stubborn to stay home.  GG

WildThing

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 05:16:12 AM »
I was a big adventurer when younger as well I live in the UK and travelled all over the Western part of the US on my own when I was 23.  My family freaked out when I went but I was determined to do it and loved every minute.  Apart from San francisco dind't like it there as so many odd people roaming the streets.  Sorry if anyone is from San Fransisco.   And sorry I can't spell it.   That would be cool if you could set up a career as a sales distributer.  Very brave of you having so many heath issues good on ya.  Nice to meet you by the way and welcome to the forum!

ashewoman

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Thanks! I may regret it if I have a slew of bad days on the road but you never know until you try.

eyeamdry

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »
Wild Thing -or anyone else having problems with vegan and others understanding what they want.
I have been a vegetarian (95%) since I was about 8 or 9 years old.  There was no such thing as being a vegetarian then.  Only that I didn't want to eat meat.  Well, lo and behold around the 1960-70's being a vegetarian was becoming a political statement.  Not to me it isn't, but others seem to think they are elite with this tag.  I do not even tell people because I am not up to the political discussion.
I don't care what others eat and I don't want others caring about what I eat.  Well, just a decade or so ago, vegan began becoming the thing to be.  Wonderful.  I have always eaten eggs and some milk products, still do and always will.

Got away from my point.  I really think many people do not know what VEGAN means.  I believe vegetarian would get you closer to what you are asking for---vegan.  It may be a lot of trouble to do this.  However, I'll bet being a vegan isn't easy.  I have a hard time eating out, although I can usually do with a salad and spaghetti with marianara sauce. My diet is not religious, so I really would eat what I wanted.  I understand just how tough it must be to find vegan food. 

Do vegans have a list of foods they do eat and could fax to a b&b?  I'm just wondering because that would make it easier for them at the b&b to answer yes or no and not be rude etc.  Happy eating everyone, no matter what.  Hope it's good.  Lucy