Author Topic: Would any of you (especially ladies) comfortably go away on your own?  (Read 6837 times)

WildThing

I feel I need to go somewhere specific in order to sort something out buut I gotta go on my own and feel kinda nervous about it.  It's not the travelling as such I have travelled all over on  my own before it's, and I know this will sound stupid, the thought of eating out of an evening on my own.  I'd feel so self concious.  I don't mind eating lunch on my own but somehow eating otu on your own of an evening is a bit sad.  Know what I mean?

cargillwitch

Re: Would any of you (especially ladies) comfortably go away on your own?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
that ,my dear, is what " take-out" was invented for! LOL
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

Patze

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:30:20 PM »
Too true cargillwitch, but I find going out by myself is a bit "liberating".  I go to the movies, dinner, and sometimes hike in the local parks by myself...  I enjoy it and am not on someone else's time constraints, and that makes it more "freeing".  And lets not mention some of the conversations people have around you (guess they don't think you have ears  ;) :D).

Take care of yourself now -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Sadie963

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
I have traveled for business reasons. It felt a bit out of my comfort zone sitting alone in the restaurant waiting for my dinner. But I also brought some papers with me to review while I waited for my meal. 

I think what helped me was realizing everyone else was busy with their meals and/or dinner companions. And it was my nervousness making me think other people would be looking at the lady sitting at her own table.

Now that I think of it, there probably are a lot more people wishing they could have their own table for a little peace and quiet to gather their own thoughts once in awhile. LOL

Sooki

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
If you bring a book or otherwise look busy, people will think you're on a business trip. (You don't even have to read it, unless you want to.)  Lots of people travel for work and eat alone at restaurants (being on the company's tab), without wanting any company. The trick is to act like you do it all the time. 

I kind of enjoy it now, whenever I get to do it.  I'll bet there'll be diners at the restaurant who think you look cool and wish they had a lifestyle like that.  Give it try!

...and if you still feel like you're nervous - remember there isn't anyone in there you'll EVER see again :)  Be a role model by being yourself!!
68 yo, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hashimoto's, fatigue, MGUS, peripheral neuropathy, ocular rosacea
Plaquenil, CellCept, Synthroid, Atorvastatin, Xiidra, doxycycline, D3, biotin, B12, ALA, DHEA, Ubiquinol, CPAP, D-mannose, Paleo AIP, fish oil, Cliradex wipes

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »
Bring a book, a magazine, an iPad - and ENJOY THE SOLITUDE!!!!
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
To be honest I often enjoy my company more than some people I can think of.lol

I have usually shopped by myself and traveled some bymyself and don't seem to find the being alone thing hard to take. I have learned that I must always be aware of my surroundings and keep track of my environment to ensure that I am safe though.

When we don't pay attention we could get ourselves in trouble. I love to read when I eat out and also bring a paper with me. And yes, take out is awesome. There are times I have gotten takeout and gone to a busy park and just eaten in my car.

One thing to remember is that we have to learn to make friends with ourself in order to be comfortable in our own skin. Good luck. HOpe that you can think through things. Irish

eyeamdry

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »
I agree with everyone.    I was going to say to take a book or a paper, but it's already been suggested.  I have done that occasionally in my working years when I had to go out of town for some reason.  I will also, like Patze, go to a movie alone if my hubby is away and my daughter doesn't want to come.  I would also go on a BUSY trail, nothing backwoods, but that's only being smart.

One of the things I was told is to ask for a room close to the lobby if possible.  They will know what you mean, being a female traveling alone.  It's comforting to know that the employees are within distance of you calling out for help.  Lucy

Pisces24

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:02:04 AM »
All my family has passed away and my closest family are 1st cousin who have their own kids, grandkids, etc.   So I am basically a fifth wheel with everyone. Most of my friends are married too.           It feels odd at first doing some things on you own. You do get used to it It is hard for awhile glancing at the chair across the table and no one sitting in it though.  :(

Sometimes it DOES help to just take a day away for yourself. Even if you are just getting a quite hotel room and watch cable TV all day. I took 3 days and went to a small town I had never been to for a mini-vacation. About a 2-3 hr drive only.  I walked around downtown, went in the shops, chatted with the locals and got a genuine big hometown chocolate shake. Sorry - little towns make em better. LOL

It is you just sometimes need time where you do not NEED or feel pressured to do anything. You can sit and listen to the birds chirping or smile at the squirrels romping. I really enjoyed my mini-vacation and it didn't cost that much. Gave me lots of relaxation.

jodie

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »
Taking a vacation alone is wonderful.  Only one you have to please is yourself.  As far as eating out, I have no problems with that at all, and have been doing it for a long time.  I might be somewhat choosy in terms of the restaurant i.e. no desire to go to a 'romantic, candlelight, fancy/dress-up' type of place!!   But other than that, eating alone is great and nobody knows your story and ...NOBODY CARES!!

Just have fun and relax on your 'adventure.'  And don't ruin one second of it by feeling self-conscious!!

Jodie ;)

WildThing

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »
Thanks for the responses, quite a fe of you made me smile.  I guess you're right people don't really notice other people. It seems like such a small thing to worry about but I have been self conious most of my life and don't think I am about to stop any time soon!  Much as I would want to.  It's funny I totally don't mind eating lunch by myself or going to the movies by myself but eating out of an evening scares me.  WHY???!!!  I think the thing I would need to consider more than anything is how far the place is from the B&B I'd be staying at so I won't have to walk far to get back to it.  Also where the b&b is I think is important.

Pisces24

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
I live in the Midwest, Eastern Iowa.   Pretty much if you want to talk to someone , you just strikeup a conversation.  Nobody looks at you like you are nuts or from another planet. LOL (they did in Calif when I visited.  :P)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
The one thing about eating out in the evening is too be sure and eat early---as before the sun sets if at all possible. This is especially true if you are in an area that you would consider more high risk for the unexpected.

I like to visit with others also and being from rural MN people are more apt to talk to each other. However, I am more careful about who I talk to and what I say than I used to be. I think that in this day and age being careful should be second nature. I even bought some Mace to carry when I go to the metro areas. Have a good time and relax. There is no reason to feel self conscious as people do not pay much attention to each other in this day and age. Irish

eyeamdry

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
I see you are staying or have stayed at a bed and breakfast.  I was going to suggest that because I have been looking online for B&B's for us.  I think you would feel safer and less alone in that setting.  Have a good time.  I used to work with a single young lady with no kids and she went away by herself to bed and breakfasts all the time.  Lucy

WildThing

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
I must say, where I'm thinking of going it's just a seaside town, but then is anywhere safe these days?  But yes thought a b&b would be better, less impersonal than a hotel.