Author Topic: Changes in health question  (Read 16016 times)

Suzie

Re: Changes in health question
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »
Stupid doctors - do what everyone says - push for help. Now! You need it. You deserve it.  :-*

anita

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 04:01:36 AM »
I'm going to be pretty frank.  You have talked about all (I can't think of one you actually said was good) your bad doctors over the years.   I think you need to put all this aside, and get to the ER if you don't trust your own physicians.   Your BS and A1c is screaming at you...to do something.  Even if you are just sitting there watching TV, your kidneys made be getting damaged as you sit, or your blood clotting with a stroke on the horizon. 

Frankly, I think you know better then this, and I can imagine you being the one to type out a reply to someone else with these problems telling them to get to the doctor ASAP.   I'm certainly surprised you haven't already reacted.  I don't mean to be cocky, but to use one of your own quotes...you need an advocate.  I doesn't look like you are able to be proactive in your own care.  Can your wife help you?

Please Joe, get to the doctor.
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 06:05:03 AM »
With these high BS levels, I have no neuropathy or retinopathy. They have both reversed or healed. This would be impossible if the BS levels were a true indicator of what is going on. I know I am insulin resistant and that when given insulin I get much worse and my BS & A1C go up with every dose. The doctors tell me that these things can not be from their Theories but actual data disproves their theory.

I know from personal experience that people do not have to live with toxic neuropathy or retinopathy.

I am not concerned about the blood sugars. They are a lie as they are measuring the wrong component. I am healing well. I pee frequently only after a water pill. I do not believe that this is the true issue. It is a red herring at this point. Like the doctors, you are only looking at these numbers. Please go back and read my first issues with cholesterol and liver function.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »
Joe, If you are insulin resistant it seems to me that you need to stop your 3 diabetic meds as most likely your blood sugars would go down then. I am basing this on yourinformation regarding insulin driving your blood sugars up. It would seem plausible then that your diabetic meds would be driving your blood sugars up. I don't believe this myself, but with the explainations you have given of your body's response to diabetic meds this could be possible. It would be prudent to work with a doctor on this problem.

I also wonder what kind of a diet you follow. It sounds like you might have a high carb diet hence the high blood sugars. This is interesting, but I would certainly be more proactive concerning this if it was me. Diabetic complications are bloody miserable. I have taken care of a lot of end stage diabetics with infections, kidney failure and amputated limbs not to mention the strokes and heart attacks brought on by diabetes plus the dementia related to cardiovascular disease.

Diabetes is an inflammatory process that sets up an inflammatory response in the blood vessels that cause the plaque to adhere to them. Also causes the higher lipid levels, etc. It is a vicious circle. I went to my bimonthly diabetic education class at the hospital last evening and we discussed the circulatory system. Interesting but totally scary so following the diet is the best way to avoid the big health issues.  Good luck. Irish

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
Thank you Irish, I to have lost several friends to diabetes. I have watched the complications happen with others. I have watched CAM therapies reverse a lot of complications. Retinopathy and neuropathy. A simple cup of goldenseal lickerish tea with honey drop blood sugars over 200 points. 2 oz of walnuts per day will reverse insulin resistance.

Any ideas on the AST/ALT and the LDL, HDL, TriGly levels when the sugars are excluded?
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

Carebear

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »
Joe,

I am very concerned for you, dear friend.  I completely disagree with your analysis of blood sugar.

I just lost my father-in-law as a result of his blood sugar levels being too high on a consistent basis.  He suffered from extreme brain damage which resulted in rapid onset dementia.  This was so, so hard on his family.

I hope you reconsider, and get this checked out.

Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »
Thank you for your concern carebear. I have been to doctor after doctor with not only no improvement but in worse shape than before I saw them.

anita

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »
If the goldenseal and honey work so well, then why is your BS so high?

This is not the Joe that encourages others to get checked when it's the appropriate thing to do. 

How "off" are the liver tests?  Do you have appetite, normal bowels, etc?  Any nausea or abdominal pain?

I'm curious...what did the ordering doctor say about these tests results?  Is the one that ordered the tests someone you trust to treat?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:15:33 PM by anita »
52 yr old SjS, APS w/strokes, Autonomic Neuropathy, PN, Nephrogenic DI, (CVID) IgG def., Cushing's, Asthma, Gastroparesis.  Sero-neg w/+ lip biopsy.  Meds: IVIG & pre-meds, Arixtra, Aspirin, Plaquenil, Cardizem, Toprol XL, Domperidone, Nexium, Midodrine, Symbicort, Fentanyl, Percocet, Zofran

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
Joe, I don't know what the problem could be or the answer. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I also lost weight over the last year using a lower caloric diet.

My blood sugar has dropped too low now. I almost passed out at one of my gp visits, and they had to give me candy.

Is there a doctor at some emergency room that you trust to see? You do need someone that is good at a diagnosis of what's going on.

susanep
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 05:30:35 PM »
Joe, The reason you are losing the weight is because you have the high blood sugars. You body is literally metabolizing itself and the end result will be kidney failure. Most likely you have some ketones in your urine and are in ketosis.

I can understand your issues with the diabetes, but if you are taking honey or other medications that contain sugar plus eating a lot of carbs there is no way you will get out of this life without serious end failure cardiovascular disease. In fact, eating too much of anything, protein, etc fats, etc will cause the blood sugar to increase. Everything turns to sugar eventually due to metabolism.

If you have all the high lipids then you are a walking time bomb. The lipids thicken the blood and cause it to adhere to the inflammed walls of the arteries. The arteries and veins then plug up because of the accumulation of the fat or plaque on the sides of the arteries.

This is what causes the heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure. Neuropathy is another issue and some people just don't have as much problem with this. However, if you have a stroke, heart attack and kidney failure which needs dialysis it really doesn't make much difference if you have neuropathy or loss of vision due to retinal changes. After all that tissue destruction in the body it causes our life to become pretty hard to manage and deal with on a day to day basis.

We just talked about the LDL, HDL, Trig and Cholesterol last night at my diabetes education class and there is no easy way to get rid of these problems. They are caused by poor heredity, poor dietary control of diabetes and often the need for a statin drug.

The one thing we also learned (cardiac rehab nurse talked to us along with dietician) was that diabetes does not go away. It is a progressive disease that has be be accepted and dealt with. The diet is not all that bad compared to years ago. The insulin treatment of diabetes these days is literally awesome. Adjusting to diabetes these days is a breeze compared to 40 years ago.

I know that most likely you haven't had a chance to see what is out there as far as control. If you are on the 3 meds without control than most likely you are a candidate for insulin. You will have to be open minded about this though in order to get your life back in sync.

There are some things that can be helped with nutritional supplements, but managing diabetes is not one of them. Go to an endocrinologist ASAP (after seeing your GP and getting a referral and diaetary couseling) and talk with him about your theory and ask him what the new treatments are. They can change your life and enable you to eat a more normal diet without excuding as much. The bottom line is control and logic.

I am going to come right out and say something that you may not like, but it needs to be said. Is there a chance that you are suffering from a deep depression with a repressed suicidal ideation?? This is always possible any time someone has issues with diagnoses. I hope that you are able to get help if this is the case.  Also, with high blood sugar comes cloudy thinking without us realizing it. Please be aware of making any big decisions at times like this.

Remember that every time our blood sugar goes out of control it causes inflammation of the arteries, nerves and other tissues which in turn lead to an increase in all those bad cardiovascular issues, etc. We are in control of our destiny and I would love to see you hang around and enjoy your wife, kids and grandchildren. Take care my friend, Irish
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:40:50 PM by irish »

Skylar

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »
Joe, I hope you see your doctor. I congratulate you on your success at weight loss - but along with the weight loss, some of your medications needed to be checked and dosages changed - especially any relating to diabetes. Are you monitoring your blood sugar at home regularly? What did your Dr. say when he gave you these results? BTW, Irish mentioned Ketones - and yes, you can buy dip sticks to measure ketones in your urine at home to see if you are in ketosis. I also just finished reading what Irish said - I hope you read it carefully - there is a lot of excellent info in her very caring and thoughtful post.

Also you don't mention what kind of diet you are one - except to say you are calorie restricting - but maybe you have developed a nutritional deficiency from your diet? Many of these can affect different organs.

For a couple of months last summer, following the advice of my PCP, I was increasing my Omega 3:Omega 6 ratio - getting them as close as possible to 1:1 in the hopes it would help reduce inflammation - unfortunately it didn't,but that's another story. In order to do this I used a website that is linked to very detailed info from the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference - they update their website with each new release. If you log in your daily food you can see if your choices are balanced and meeting your needs. This is a website that was developed by people who are following calorie restriction as a way to live longer - I don't do this, I was just using their free resource because it is so detailed in it's nutritional data and it's easy to use as well as free. You can download it from cronometer.com

I hope you get this resolved quickly - if your blood sugar numbers remain high and out of control - you will develop severe and irreversible health problems - as you mentioned you've had several friends die from diabetes - it is not pleasant.

jazzlover

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
Joe... please listen to irish... your life is at stake!!! Show this thread to your wife!!
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Woolygimp

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
I really feel out of place posting here because I know so little about diabetes, but you've always been one to help other people so I really hope you get things looked into and that things are alright!  I believe in the diet aspect of disease and that you can control or mitigate the damage through healthy eating, but it only does so much. 

I do know that a blood sugar of 500 is something that needs to be addressed.  At least get a test done for urinary ketones to make sure you're not in ketoacidosis as Irish said, you owe yourself that.

Please take head to what Irish said.  She talked a boatload of sense into me and we're all susceptible to the foggy thinking with all this crap that we have to deal with... but we're all in it together and sometimes our judgement isn't always sound.  I completely understand your distrust in doctors but there are some good ones out there willing to sit down and talk with you and that are generally interested in the well-being of their patients.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:52:31 PM by Woolygimp »

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
LDL, HDL, Trig all below acceptable levels.
AST / ALT below acceptable levels.

There are no ketones in my urine.
Endocrinologist do not know what insulin resistance is. (omega3 to omega6)
Normal appetite, and bowels, for me since childhood.
No nausea or abdominal pain.

One of my supplements (PQQ) will give artificial high blood sugar and A1C because the meters are not measuring your true blood sugar they are doing it by reference.

Aquarius

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
Joe, you need to set aside your beliefs momentarily about western medicine and get seen asap.

Your statement that you are not concerned about blood sugar over 500 indicates that you are not thinking clearly and are engaging in dangerous magical thinking.   

Failing to get help if your blood sugar is indeed that high could land you in a heap of trouble that no amount of tones or supplements will reverse.   You need to understand this, you could be on the verge of a medical crisis. 

Please get help now.  Sometimes we need to trust others.  This is one of those times.