Author Topic: Venus Williams is in the news again!  (Read 5358 times)

engy

Re: Venus Williams is in the news again!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 03:45:37 PM »
I have Raynauds too but get very sick in the sun. That's how I got my " Lupus" overlap diagnosis since my bloodwork was typical  sjogrens.
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

smallfry

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 03:56:49 PM »
We are just coming out out summer and it has really knocked me a sixer this year I much perfer the cooler weather rather than the humidity. (Thinking of moving to Tasmania)

Cheryl

Poochie

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
I too have Raynaud's and warmth is the best thing I have found.  Also for the neuropathy.  I couldn't sleep at night if not for my electric blanket.  Hubby turns it on about an hour before we turn in and it feels so good.  I tuck legs and hands under it and off to sleep I go.  At least for a few hours. 

I have a feeling Venus hasn't yet had a good flare.  I'm sure when one hits her things will change a good bit for her.  I give a lot of credit having the courage to go back into competition.  I pray she has a good time of itl 

Just Pooh

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
My problem with the sun is three things:

1)  I get this rash like markings on my neck and in the "V" of a v-neck shirt.  The only thing is, this rash never goes away - it's discoloration of the skin from the sun and being on Plaquenil.  (there's a picture of it on a thread called "Plaquenil and skin discoloration").   I also get this discoloration on my forearms too.

I'm not sure if our different ethnic backgrounds affects how our bodies react to the sun and medicines or not?

I know for myself, prior to Sjogren's and being on Plaquenil, being out in the sun wasn't a problem (except, I did and still do, burn easily as I am fair-skinned).

2)  With my hair thinning so much on top, my scalp will easily burn if I don't wear a hat (and I usually don't) or shade myself with an umbrella.

3)  I get hot too easily.  So, my best plan of action is to avoid my time outside in the sun as much as I can.  Sitting in the shade isn't bad, it's just out in the bright, hot, sunshine that doesn't mix well with me.

I don't see how Venus can stand the bright sunlight in her eyes.  Our son plays tennis and I keep asking him if he wants to wear sunglasses and he says it interferes with seeing the ball, so they don't wear sunglasses.  I HAVE to wear sunglasses when out in the sun or I get a splitting headache not to mention the drying effect on my eyes (like I need some more . . .  ::)).

In fact, there's a tennis match this coming Saturday for our son.  There is no shade there either.  Ugh!  Not looking forward to it.

Bucky   8)
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

LizPetillo

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 07:10:46 AM »
That is good news. However, apparently she hasn't figured out that the stress of the game will drive her into another flare. Hate to be a pessimist, but one of these days she will have to change her occupation.
I totally agree with you. 
Sorry Venus ... but I don't think the full reality has sunk in yet.
Glad you are feeling better.  But do yourself a favor ...
stay off the tennis courts ... stay out of the sun ...
find another line of work.   Sorry.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »
She is good looking, and with the AI disease she should look good no matter how she feels. Maybe there is some thing else that she likes to do that would keep her out of the sun. Making Advertizements, and movies might be a good option. Good management should keep her from flairs while she is working. I wish her the best success of her life.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »
She has a clothing line and I think she's starting a line of furniture or something, I seem to remember seeing something on TV about it. You can find her clothing on her website, I think it's called eleVen. Her furniture is, I think, under the name V Starr.

But I'm sure she still makes most of her income from endorsements --- which she may not have for long if she's not playing.  I know that I'm doing myself harm by continuing to work full time with a two-hour daily commute, and I'm sure she's doing the same thing. I hope it doesn't have to last too much longer for her, but I certainly get it.
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

meow

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »
I am ok in the sun, too, as long as I have sunscreen and reapply every hour. Once we get to June and July, and it's hovering around 100 every day, I avoid the mid-day sun completely. But it's more the heat than the rays themselves.
I refuse to tiptoe quietly through life, only to arrive safely at death's door.

Sjogrens, Hashimotos, CFS.  Also, fast approaching CRS Syndrome ;)