Author Topic: Venus Williams is in the news again!  (Read 5357 times)

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Venus Williams is in the news again!
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:21 AM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/williams-feeling-good-as-she-makes-her-singles-return-7576772.html

She says she's feeling good and will be playing singles again --- I can't wait to see! 

Yay for Venus!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

irish

• Global Moderator
Re: Venus Williams is in the news again!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
That is good news. However, apparently she hasn't figured out that the stress of the game will drive her into another flare. Hate to be a pessimist, but one of these days she will have to change her occupation. Irish ;D

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
I have to agree with Irish. Venus needs to understand "Spoon Theory". She needs to start practicing some of the things that we all have to do to fend off flairs.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

WildThing

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:28 PM »
I have to agree with Irish. Venus needs to understand "Spoon Theory". She needs to start practicing some of the things that we all have to do to fend off flairs.

Spoon theory?

smallfry

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
I fully agree with you, it would be hard for her being at the top and having to deal with sjogrens I wish her well with it.

One would think that something that is so mentally and phisically taxing would be far far more than enough to send you into a flare.

Cheryl

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
I'm glad this article acknowledged that Sjogren's is incurable as some of the other ones I've read in reference to Venus made it seem like it's a cold, and if you rest, let it run it's course, and it will be over and she'll be good to go and back in the game.

Tennis is such a grueling sport.  I sure wouldn't be able to be out in the full sun for the whole tournament.  I wonder if her doctors have told her about the sun and Sjogren's?

I hope Venus can pace herself.  She'll have to learn by trial and error what her limits are and what she needs to do to adjust her game to how she's feeling on game day.

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »
I hate to say it, but I wonder if they drug her up on prednisone to make it through these tennis matches. I cannot imagine being out on the tarmac in the hot sun. I would fall on my face---even when I was young I couldn't take the heat and I was in much better physical shape back then.

Irish

cargillwitch

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:09:18 AM »
Am I the only one with Sjogrens who gets BETTER when out in the sun ?
I do really, really well with very high temps and sunny weather. Perhaps because I also have Raynauds, it is the only time my body really relaxes and  is just  calm and happy. My energy just shoots up as well.
Winters are so long and cold, I feel like a slug, achy, constantly tired unable to get fully warm.

I sure couldn't deal with the emotional stress that professional sports would dish out- that kind of strain would send me into a tailspin but I actually feel better with a lot of exercise. Just the no-pressure , non-competitive variety!

It must be very hard for someone in the public eye as she is to be able to call it a day and step away permanently.
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

Winnie

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »
I used to play tennis for fun.  I can't imagine trying to compete now.  I consider myself lucky right now with my disease and used to be very active, but I opt out of anything physical now.  Yoga is about it.  Does anyone know what day she plays?  I am going to watch.  I guess I am jealous.   :(

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 05:47:41 AM »
I used to love the sun. It would energize and strengthen me. Now it does just the opposite. It burns through my clothing unless I am wearing my SPF30 clothes. Heat drains my energy now. I need 72 degrees and I do not know the humidity but guess about 20-40%.

As an only child, I had to do all the yard work and home repairs for my folks. I enjoyed the solitude of mowing the yard, trimming the trees, and snow removal. Now I avoid these tasks when the sun is shining. I prefer to do them at dusk or sun rise and try to keep them quiet so neighbors can sleep. It does take much longer to do them. 20 years ago, I could mow the yard in 20 minutes with a push mower. Today with a smaller yard and self propelled mower it takes over an hour spread over two days.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:07 AM »
I'm glad this article acknowledged that Sjogren's is incurable as some of the other ones I've read in reference to Venus made it seem like it's a cold, and if you rest, let it run it's course, and it will be over and she'll be good to go and back in the game.
I was going to say that too.  I worry people will say, "She has Sjogren's, so what?  It's apparently no big deal if she's right back to such a physically demanding lifestyle.  Sjogren's can't be THAT bad then..."  >:(  Just them seeing how well she's coping could set awareness back a few more years...but I am very happy she's doing so well! 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:26:25 AM by MissyLouWho? »

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

WildThing

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »
It could be she is in denial about it all it is amazing what you can make yourelf do if you really want to but sooner or later she will pay for it SS is a ticking time bomb.

I'm also ok out in the sun.

Katybarstool

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »
Cargillwitch

Thank you - I thought I must be a bit weird - the sun makes me feel so much better too. I think I must be solar powered. The only downside for me was that I couldn't get out of a swimming pool while on holiday in Cyprus a couple of years ago. I think that was a combination of sun and trying to swim a couple of lengths - otherwise, the sun makes me feel so much better.

Kathyx

Crymeariver

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
I have Raynaud's and love summer and the heat. My circulaiton just seems to stagnate below 50 degrees. I layout under a UPF 50 tent. I think I might be willing to trade heat for the Pacific Northwest just to get some dry eye relief.  I can appreciate that Venus needs to make hay while the sun shines (literally) because she probably isn't going to last a long time professionally.  Who knows what her treatment protocol is but I'm curious.