Author Topic: Ladies: hormone problems, heavy periods  (Read 5039 times)

WildThing

Ladies: hormone problems, heavy periods
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Hi girls, just wondered if any of you have heard of a condition where you can have too may female hormones.  Weirdly enough I know more abut male hormones and the male reproductive cycle than I do female hormones.  No idea why.  I have never had my hormone levels checked and I wonder if they are sky high.  I am having very similar problems now to my mother.  When she was in her 30s her periods were very heavy and lasted ages and she had other problems too like mood swings and gawd knows what altogether.  She's passed away now so I can't ask her about it but I have always had very heavy periods.  Even the first one ever was very heavy and lasted quite a while.  I have also had odd swollen breasts, lumpiness and a swollen tummy which the doctor couldn't make head nor tail of but thought it was my hormones although they were'nt tested.  I also get really bad acne every month and I'm 35!  Anybody know anything about this or think it's worth me getting my hormone levels cheked?  I just feel like they are going crazy!

Pisces24

Re: Ladies: hormone problems, heavy periods
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
Is your thyroid ok?????  I ask cause I once had a very bad time with a >week's heavy one and had to go to the hospital. They put 3 pints of blood in my and diagnosed me with underactive thyroid.

Losing so much is not good for you. I would have it checked out.

WildThing

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
Yes had my thyroid checked a few times.  I have been like this every single month though for the past  21 years.  Been anemic a few times.

Katybarstool

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »
Do you have poly cystic ovaries?

Kathyx

lighthouse33

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Endometriosis is always a possibility.  Some people on the forum including myself have this.
Female
Primary Sjogren's, polyneuropathy, endomitriosis, dietary fructose intolerance
Plaquenil, Lyrica, Tramadal, Omeprazole, Fortical, fish oil, flaxseed oil, benefiber, centrum chewable mulitviitamin, caltrate chewable 600 D+minerals, WSN Nerve Support Formula, Align, Biotene Products

WildThing

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »
Technically I'm fine I've seen a gynaecologist and had a through examination which is why I am wondering if I have too many female hormones.

Crymeariver

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 03:41:11 PM »
The cycle is hormone controlled so you may be low on the hormone that regulates the stopping phase.  You're obviously good on the start hormone LOL  I'm no expert and am just thinking out loud.  I think a hormone test is a good idea.  Have you had a test for iron levels?

WildThing

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »
Crymeariver:  you're not a Justin Timberlake fan are you lol

But yes thanks for that insight I guess I'm just all set on the starting hormone front lol.  I do need to get both my hormone levels and iron tested I think.  Think I'll phone the surgery tomorrow and make an appointment.  From the wasit up I'm dry as a desert, from the waist down it's like Niagra Falls lol.  Mind you I think I'm glad it's not the other way around.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »
I had those darn heavy periods all of my life. I started menses at age 10 and started out with heavy ones plus terrible cramps that at times had me on the floor rolling in pain. Thankfully those were only a few times.

When I had my hysterectomy my OBGYNE surgeon told me that the main artery feeding my uterus was as big around as his thumb. He said "no wonder you bled so bad". He told me that he double, tripled stitched that artery so that I would not have a post op bleed. That was some enlightening information. I had never given that aspect any thought. Irish ;D

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
The adult acne can be  a sign of poly cystic ovarian disease which I have. My periods were always crazy, and painful. I would get things checked out, and ask for more extensive blood work.

The type of doctor who found out mine was an Endocrinologist. You might ask for a referral to one.

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

cargillwitch

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:34:16 AM »
your cycle is controlled by two hormones, Estrogen ( which I think you are referring to) and progesterone. Progesterone is also seen in males and is often the culprit in prolonged and heavy bleeding.The two hormones raise and fail independant of one another and are responsible for different phases of your cycle.
It might help to have a blood draw to see where each hormone is - although as they fluctaute ( daily- hourly!) it can be very misleading. Dietary interventions can be very helpful.
 Are you on any corticosteriods?
47 female, Sjogrens ,Raynauds,degenerative disc disease.Rheumatoid Arthritis, gastroparesis.

WildThing

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
No not on any corticosteroids.  Can't stop sleeping today again this is reallly getting on my nerves now.

Madison Granny

• Keep on fighting and stay strong!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
When I was a girl with my period I wished to be old enough to not have one.  Now I wish that I still had one since I developed SJS after that ceased.  My periods were always long and painful. Doctors could find nothing wrong.  Might run in families.  My mother's were the same way.
Primary SJS, dRTA, Osteroporis, OAB, stage 3 kidney disease, hypothyroid and high blood pressure.  Medicine I take are plaquenil, bicarb, prolia, synthroid, toprol and amolipine, citracal and vitamin D.  I use Arex and Azasite and Prolia.  I also have Reynaud's and osteoarthris of the toes

lea78

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »
Hi, I certainly have a problem with my hormones, causing mood changes and I have very heavy painful periods which I presume is because I have endometriosis which gives me bladder and bowel pain at time of month. I do wonder if my hormones are out of balance especially because I have such bad pms symptoms ESP moods and painful lumpy breasts

WildThing

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
Well who knows what it is i guess only the doctor can say for sure I'll just have to wait until I see her and see what she says.