Author Topic: Dark Skin Patches?  (Read 2123 times)

aguillory

Dark Skin Patches?
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:12:09 AM »
Hi I am new to Sjogren's world as well as Sjogren's.  I'm a 46 yo male.  I have had lots of organ (GI & bladder), muscle, and dry eye/mouth issues.  I have my first Rheumatologist appointment in late April.  Any advice you can give me on that would be welcome.  I have tested positive for SSA, SSB, and RF (but negative for RA).  I am also low in vitamin D so I have started taking supplements.

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced darker skin patches on their face and if they are related to Sjogren's? I have  dark patches that are growing into the shape of the lupus butterfly rash, except it is not a rash it is just darker skin. The texture is the same as the rest of my face. Thoughts?

Thanks, Anthony

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Re: Dark Skin Patches?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »
Welcome to this wonderful group of people! I'm glad you found us, but sorry you had to look. The good news is that you've got a diagnosis and can now get treatment. That's a really good thing!

One of my favorite features in this forum is the search box in the upper right-hand corner. You can plug in any kind of term and get a wealth of information! Of course, you're always welcome to ask anything. No question is too big or too small! 

It won't be long before you'll see a question someone else has posted and you'll be able to reach out and help someone yourself. That's another great thing about this forum -- always someone to help you, and always someone you can help. Since we're from all over the globe, there's almost always someone logged in.

There's lots of good info on the web. You might want to start here:  http://www.sjogrens.org/

Are you taking any medications? Some of us post our dx's and meds in our signature. (You can click on your profile on the left-hand side of your posting -- under your screen name -- and add stuff there.) I love my Plaquenil, and my cauterized tear ducts have made my life so much better.

I don't get any face stuff unless I'm taking a "burst and taper" dose of methylprednisolone, or if I use some kind of cheap facial cleanser. Those two things give me what looks like a chemical burn on my face. Be sure and have the rash looked at by your rheumy when you go in late April.

Hope this helps!  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:06:09 AM by A66eyroad »
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

WildThing

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »
Hi there aguillory.  I can very much sympathise.  I am fairly new here still, got all the SS symptoms but some of my tests come up negative so they are trying to figure out what is going on.  I too have GI and bladder issues it is a right nuisance.  I feel like an old lady.  Not sure about the dry skin patches.  Might need to se a dermatologist for that.  I have dark coloured patches on my shoulder but they are not dry specifically, all my skin is dry it just flakes right off.  Have you been tested for Lupus at all?

Meld256

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
Hello. aguillory

Allow me to welcome you to the forum!  ;)

I, too, am sorry you've needed to find us but very glad you did.  You've come to the right place for information, guidance, and some encouraging support.  As Abbey mentioned, this is a group of really great and helpful people.

I can't suggest what the darker skin patches may be from, could be a wide variety of things. I apologize; that's not a good answer, is it?  Certainly something you may want to ask of the rhuematologist when you see them.

My best advice for the first appt. is to tell them ALL your symptoms, no matter if you think they are having a big or small impact on your life.  A short summary should do, since these docs seem to like things "short and sweet."
Take any records of blood tests or other findings, and ask where they think you should go from here and what they would suggest next.   They should take your concerns seriously and listen to you.  Sometimes that's not the case, and if so, you may need to find another doctor who will.

I know the search for treatment can be aggravating and time-consuming.  Please keep us posted, and feel free to ask anything at all.  We'll do our best to help!  ;)

Again, welcome!  We look forward to hearing more from you.
Melinda