Author Topic: Any good romance/historical romance books?  (Read 2024 times)

Winnie

Any good romance/historical romance books?
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:52 AM »
I generally don't have time to read, but with spring break coming up and my new diagnosis, I am trying to do things for me and me only.  I used to enjoy books.  One of my favorite ones is the Outlaw Hearts by Rebecca Brandewyne.  I love romances and this one was a historical romance.  Recently, I dragged my kids to the local library to check out books, but I got a dud.  So then I dragged them to a bookstore and there were way to many romance books to pick from.  I also would prefer to get them from the library as I only read them once and books are not cheap.  Have you read any good books or have any good author suggestions for me?

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

eye2dry

Re: Any good romance/historical romance books?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:37:29 AM »
hi Winnie.

Unfortunately I do not know of any.
I like to read biographies.
I am probably a little different from most women but I will tell you what I am reading now.

It's the journal of Admiral Byrd, who in the early 1930's lived in a underground hut for approx 5 months ALL ALONE in the antarctic. As you can imagine his adversities are the extreme cold -60 and at times even lower and the solitariness of it.

As I said....strange reading for most.

eye2dry

Pisces24

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »
I like the Moreland series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. I think there are 23 books in the series that span the 1400s so close to present day. They are not "romance" novels so to speak. They are more like fictional history with people and characters woven in to flesh it out.

I'm a bit of a history buff so I like reading about certain times and places and how people were back then. I am also tracing my family tree so I try to find out what was happening, etc in an acrea they were living in. It is interesting to me anyway.

Crymeariver

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »
Georgette Heyer is a classic romance author.   My favorite of hers is Friday's Child.

engy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:50:50 PM »
I only have time to read in the summer but these are some of my favorite historical romance authors: Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood, Heather Graham & Kathleen Woodiwiss. I haven't read their newer stuff yet, heard it's more mystery than their older historical stuff.

Happy reading :D
DX:Sjogrens w/mild Lupus overlap,Hashi,Celiac,Raynauds,Sm.Fiber Neuropathy,POTS,Fibro.,CFS,OI & other dysautonomia.
No thyroid
Fish/Shellfish Allergy

RX:Plaquenil,Synthroid,LCarnitine,CoQ10,ALA,Dribose,Tumeric/Curcumin, Milk Thistle,AdreneVive,Fish Oil,Flaxseed Oil,Magnesium,B12 shots,vit D & C

Winnie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  It looks like I may be home tomorrow because I am sick and may start my search for books to read earlier than expected.

Winnie
Sicca Syndrome-Aug 11', osteopenia, IBS-C, gastritis, GERD
Plaquenil, Dexilant, Vit D, Calcium, gluten free, dairy, egg & nut intolerances

Medamama

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:53:03 AM »
Philippa Gregory is a good author.  She has a several series in the historical/romance category.  The Cousins War (Lancaster vs York) series.  The three books are The Lady of the Rivers, The White Queen, and The Red Queen.  The Tudor series is good too.  I read The Queens Fool and The Other Bolelyn Girl.

There's another series that I read (about 15 years ago) written by Bertrice Small, The O'Malley Saga.  I have to say I'm not a prude but some of the descriptions made me blush.  There are a number of books in the saga and some of the story lines became predictable but they were still a good read.

Hope this helped...happy reading.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
The best book I recently listened to was "Hunger Games"
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Sleepy In Seattle

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel was the best book I have read for probably 10 years...about Thomas Cromwell, an advisor to King Henry VIII. It's not in the "Romance" category, but has some of that element in it.

Get through the first 50 pages....at first, it can be hard to read, but it's WELL-WORTH the effort. Once you get into it, it's impossible to put down, and I was SO SAD when I got close to the last page- I didn't want it to end!!!!!
Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, APS
Fatigue, Brain Fog, Autoimmune Hearing Loss, joint/muscle pain, dry mouth, clots in retina, etc
GF, "semi-Paleo" diet, Supplements, Plaquenil 400mg/day, Aspirin 325mg/day (for APS), Methotrexate 7mg/2x per week, Prednisone 3.5mg/day

tracyj

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
Try anything by Eloisa James.   I was very pleasantly surprised by her books.   This genre is full of rubbish.  Her books have great characterisation and she is highly literate!!   Great reads!