Author Topic: Anyone here got dyslexia?  (Read 2226 times)

WildThing

Anyone here got dyslexia?
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »
I am strognly suspicious, for a number of reasons, that I am dyslexic.  My mum was dyslexic and I understand it is hereditary.  I was never tested as a child even though I struggled a lot in school in spite of being very bright and I feel kind of cheated in this respect but the school system I guess wasn't so good then and my parents really didn't care.  But late in life to be finding this out I guess but wondered if anyone else here has dyslexia.  I wonder if I can get tested?  Thanks.

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
Re: Anyone here got dyslexia?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:31 AM »
 Husband, son and grandson are dyslexic/

Husband has PhD, taught in medical school and did research.

Son is MD

Grandson (12) just inducted into an honor society at school.

It takes enormous handwork to deal with dyslexia.

It helps to be super bright.  It's the kids who aren't given the right help and are not super strong intellectually who suffer the most.

My son is the one is I worked the most closely with.   There are language tests given at age two that will show up the oral/aural problem.  He didn't 'hear' things they way they were said, so he didn't 'say' them the way we expected him to.

He cannot carry a tune or even recognize changes in the tune from one line to the next, for example in a song like Jingle Bells.

Both husband and son have problems speaking very long fluent sentences, and finding what they want to say really quickly.

My husband, as the oldest of course (almost 73) has the most persistent problems because he didn't get the right help early on.

My son did much better because of the programs in school, but in college he was still reluctant to tell his teachers that his spelling was so terrible because of a disability.

He had a surgical residency supervisor (a surgeon) who told him to quit med school because he was obviously careless, lazy or too stupid to spell correctly!

It is hard because we equate good spelling with intelligence, education and effort.

Neither of them read for pleasure.

But the third generation, my grandson, is an avid reader, and a great speller, so perhaps his disability was less (tho it seemed far worse to me, having seen both my son and grandson and little kids), or the help he got was better.

There are many many versions of dyslexia and related disabilities.

The key is once you KNOW, you can stop thinking that you are doing something wrong or aren't trying hard enough.

It is still very difficult, however, to go through life with these differences.

Most kids find their strengths and go with them.  And as we're older we get to choose to some extent the arenas that  we compete in, and choose friends that accept us.

Hope you get some resolution WildThing!

Keep us posted.

Hugs

Elaine
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:45:34 AM by Carolina »
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »
I have a rather severe case of dyslexia. It is worse when I am in pain. I have not tried the color gels to make reading easier.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

WildThing

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »
Thanks for your inputs.  Any idea how an adult would go about getting tested?  I guess it would be expensive?  :-\

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »
Psychologist.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:35:43 AM »
Hi  :)

In the UK there is a 'Dyslexia Society' and they can point people in the direction of testing centres. Colleges now tend to screen for it too because obviously, if dxd, students can get extra help. I have a couple of friends who were diagnosed in their late 30s when they went back to college to get youth work degrees.

Is there a similar society in the US?

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

WildThing

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »
Thanks Scottie, I'm in the UK I'll have a look into that.  Is this the site?

bdadyslexia.org.uk/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:55:05 PM by Linda196 »

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:32:44 PM »
Hi WildThing  :)

I haven't actually looked up a website - I was told about it because I had a friend with a dyslexic kid and I often suspect some of the people I'm working with are dyslexic. My friend told me where the nearest testing centre was but it was too expensive to send any of the kids I was working with to. I'm talking a few years ago now and the test was about £200.

More seems to be known about dyslexia now so there may be good advice online.

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

WildThing

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
Hi

have just emailed the British Dyslexia Association.  Can't believe I am finally doing this at the age of nearly 36.  Apparently thee is a screening test you can do that costs 30.00 and then you can decide if you need a full assessment or not.  Life is becoming increasingly frustrating so I would like to know either way.