Author Topic: The diet that reduced my symptoms  (Read 9997 times)

sis

Re: The diet that reduced my symptoms
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 07:36:03 AM »
This post connects a lot of dots for  me.

Valene... try some wheat free bread.  Udis is great.  It is usually frozen.  I warm it on broil in the oven quickly and it is like fresh warm bread.  You could eat that instead of wheat bread when u can't tolerate anything else.

I do the diet Lula Bell writes about.  I do however still drink coffee.

My life revolves around doing all the things necessary to avoid being sick.  Yoga, diet, acupuncture, massage, managing spoons.  But it is necessary to be vigilant when faced with these autoimmune issues.

I recently found I am highly sensitive to soy.  I tried that new soy vanilla milk because it has more calcium.  I have osteoporosis.  I just  broke my foot by missing the last stair on my staircase at home. 

Two weeks into almost constant migraine and being generally nonfunctional my family was alarmed.  Why?  They wanted to know.  I have been doing relatively well for months and had not had migraines that sudden and sever in almost a year.  I've had migraines but they respond to meds and ran their course.  This was a horridness two weeks.

We don't dwell on the fact that I have this autoimmune issue that is in constant play w/ my every day life.  You can see my history in my old post.  They know I work hard to manage my health.  But still they asked... "WHAT DID YOU DO"

LOL! How the heck am I to know!!!  There are so many things I have to do and not do.  I asked my DD to read the contents on the soy milk (I couldn't find my glasses) thinking there might be something in it because I had been using it in my coffee and my daily smoothie for about 3 weeks.  She said you need to just quit this stuff if it is the only thing you have done different diet wise.  I did and I looked up soy and migraine.  It is a huge trigger!  I have felt mostly good now for several days.  I had one really amazingly great day!

Now reading all the helpful things Irish said it confirms that yes I must continue to be vigilant and hope for better days! 

May all of you have better days too.  YES, there will be miserable days but we have to do the best we can and accept all the days we are given better or worse!
I'm glad this thread was revived.  I hope others will post more.

Love to all!
sis

P.Trish

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
Sis,  your down-to-Earth commment about not dwelling on our auto immune issues and doing whatever is within our control (dietwise, etc) is what I needed to hear (I know those weren't your exact words)  :P Anyway, thanks!

My main challenge is to be 'in' the day.  Not easy :)
Ya'll have a good weekend  :D
female dx'd Jan 2012, English/Drama Teacher: retired, plaquenil 400mg, aspirin 80 mg, Lisinipril 20mg,  fish oil, multi vitamins, methyl pred  pack (every 2 months) evoxac, d-mannose, biotin, gluten free
. Stroke survivor  'Have a heart that never hardens and a touch that never hurts" (Dickens)

jazzlover

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »
hey this thread is from 2008?  i became really interested in it but just noticed it was super old.... i dont think the person who posted first is on here anymore...???

Jazzlover..does going gluten free help with the dryness inthe eyes?? forgive me if i have asked before.. i have major brain fog.... i have been gluten and grain free for 3 and 1/2 weeks... no beans or processed stuff either. very very strict.. havnet felt any better yet. my naturopath says it may take 3-4 months..ughhh does that sound about right?

-
As for the dryness, I don't really know. I went gluten free about 6 yrs ago and I only found out I have SJS less than 4 yrs ago. Keep going though! It may take 2 mo minimum to clear the junk out of your body .. and then your gut has to recover... so another month or so there.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

valene2009

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
ok thanks so much!

Suzie

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »
I just saw my GP. He told me I was tested a year ago for Celiac and the blood test was negative. But I couldn't do any harm avoiding gluten to see if it helps. He wasn't interested in talking about Leaky Gut. Oh well.

I'm pulling towards going dairy free too, for ethical reasons as well as health. I'll have to use some of my "spoons" to actually cook something wholesome instead of living on cheese sandwiches. I'm vegetarian, so I'll be almost vegan - which is the healthiest diet anyhow (Dr Caldwell Esselstein, Dr Joel Fuhrman, the educational movie Forks Over Knives).

Anyone managed to do an Exclusion Diet?  :-X No food at all hardly!

;)

valene2009

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »
ive been dairy free for years with teh exception of ice cream occassionally.  but my new diet is Repairvite diet..not a lot i can eat. i eat tons of sweet potatoes fruits and proteins that are hormone free..mostly chicken and wild caught fish

i also tested negative to celiac but i too heard that going gluten free could help with autoimmune.time will tell.keep us posted please . i will do the same