Author Topic: Wish me luck :)  (Read 2285 times)

angielyn

Wish me luck :)
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »
My husband and I have been debating for over a year what we wanted to. We have been renting our house which we do not want to stay at. My oldest daughter is moving to SC in the next year or two... But, what to do in the mean time. Well, we bought a small mobile to call home until we figure it out lol I can no longer do all the steps in this house or keep up with a big house like this. Due to one income because of me of course life is pretty hard and it's hard to make it week to week so we bought a fixer upper and for the past few days have been working on it. THIS for me is a real project and before we actually bought it I did tell my husband I'm ok now but afraid I can't keep up with packing and helping etc. He says don't worry it'll get done :)

Great thing and fun for me since I'm always home... Is, we're going to slowly remodel each room one at a time. OH my god the thought of NO MORE steps!!! It won't cost me an arm and a leg to cool the place down in the summer etc. I can't wait until we're in and get ready to start ripping rooms apart lol I wanna paint and do all those fun things :)

All our kids are grown and out on their own so it'll be a fun living experience for the two of us and project. Also, it's about an hour drive from where we are now so hopefully I can find a better Rheumy up that way then where I am now. Which I will not be able to travel to see the one I have now, it'll be 107 miles one way! Eeeks  ;D I do however plan to keep my PCP. I love her to much to leave her lol

eyeamdry

Re: Wish me luck :)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
Angielyn, this sounds like a plan to me.  That's all any of us have anyhow, is a plan.
Hopefully your grown kids will help you when they can.  Just remember you have lots of time to do this.  Lucy

Doxie

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
Angielyn, it sounds like you have found the perfect temporary solution. Don't forget to take care of yourself. This sounds like a situation where you could easily do too much and regret it later. Don't use too many spoons.

I'm so glad you won't have to do stairs anymore.  Good luck finding a new Rheumy. I hope you find a really good one!

This sounds like a great opportunity to have fun, and try a new adventure!

gold55

• GoldenLoves
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 05:45:50 AM »
Good luck to you!
Dx#1:  dx changed to Sicca Syndrome + UCTD (how wonderful)
Dx#2:  Osteoarthritis and high cholesterol
Meds:  my golden retrievers, my doodle, otc tylenol, ibuprofen, mobic, vitamins, omegas, oral pilocarpine, liguid chondroiten/glucosamine with

Pisces24

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:47:11 AM »
Don't know your friends or family but here is an idea.

Some friends of mine bought a house some years back and they were working on it. We had what I would guess you'd call a "working party".  They bought a whole bunch of pizza, beer and pop and a bunch of us got together and helped her with a room in the house one Saturday. The guys tore out the carpet and put her new in and us gals did clean up, painting and installed the baseboards, etc. We had a lot of fun the neighbors didn't complain about he loud music either. LOL.

I don't know how others would look at something like that but we were young and had a ball.

angielyn

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »
Thanks guys :) Oh and I'm pretty good with managing my spoons!!! My body is pretty good at letting me know when it's time to stop for awhile. Usually my first sign is my back will start to bother me. And I have noticed that as long as I take it at my own pace and don't try and over do it I can go until around 1pm. Then I have to lay down, not sleep but at least lay down and relax for about an hour. Then I'm ready to go again for a bit longer. As long as I don't go into a flare I should be ok. I don't have to do any heavy lifting etc. which helps loads. And right now with working in the new place we don't have the heat turned on yet so that also helps. I can't/don't sweat and ugh if the heat was on it would make me worse. I hate the cold but I can get more down without over heating like a car  ;D

Funny thing was while we were working in it the other day it was sooo cold holy cow was it cold. Well, of course my feet weren't to happy about it but boy did I get a runny nose and even my eyes would water cause of the wind and cold. I'm crazy, I love that wacky weather. So much better then summer heat!

I think this house we're in right now doesn't help in how I feel from day to day at all. There are 3 flights of stairs and I have to use all 3 daily. That takes so much out of me. Kitchen and laundry room are on 1st floor, Two livingrooms and bath on 2nd floor and bedroom on 3rd floor.... Then in the summer the kitchen gets so humid ugh it's nasty gross! All my seasonings turn to hard blocks from the humidity in there. And we won't even get into heating and AC for this place...  My husband actually got me a small dorm type refrigerator so that I didn't have to keep running up and down the steps. When in a flare I tend to lose balance terrible bad and he was afraid I'd end up falling down the darn steps. Anyhow... NO MORE of that nonsense :) It does amaze me how a house can effect you when your "sick". Most people would have no issues living here but for me it's heck. The first few years we lived here it wasn't to bad. The past two since my first full blown out there flare did me in with this place.

I'm excited though. Thankfully Lowes is only a few miles down the road along with Walmart, Kmart and many grocery stores which will be great!!!! I can actually go to a store and not get tired from just driving. Right now Walmart for me is a good 20 min. drive. Now it's about a 5 min. drive. I don't like to drive in a lot of traffic so that will be a challenge (I get major drivers anxiety lol) I'll have to get over but it's quick so I should be ok.

Right now we have my son helping, My husbands cousin is helping a lot and his one friends brother who has the strength of an ox is helping. I've never seen a kid so strong in my entire life!!!! lol His brother, my husbands friend is the same way with strength. I already told them both they are my moving helpers :)

Once we get set up a bit more and I can I'll make a big crock pot of sausage sandwiches and stuff for them for helping etc. None of them drink... they have all had past issues so they get soda :)

But, I'm excited. I know the first few weeks are going to be hard. But once we get moving on the rooms and putting up all new drywall and painting etc. It'll be fun. My husband laughed at me. For a good 8yrs I've been carrying around this darn rooster boarder for my kitchen. ONE day I was buying my own place to use it lol Well... I can finally use it now :) I will have to take pictures once we start remodeling. Before and after pics. and share them then so you can all see. And update on how I'm getting through it all. Crossing fingers so far so good and hopefully it stays that way!

Patze

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
Good luck Angielyn!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Luna

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
What a wonderful solution. Im so glad you and your husband are able to do this. Definatly wish you luck, but doubt you will need it. Sounds like you already got it. :) 

Luna

Katybarstool

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:30:50 PM »
I can feel your enthusiasm - well done you two with your plan. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Kathyx

angielyn

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
 :( Things didn't work out so well for me today... Hubby went to work on the new place but I had to stay home. Just did not feel good. And I was so looking forward to taking some frustrations out on the kitchen counter/cabinet!!!! I tell him yesterday a big hammer will do right? He says NO a screw driver LOL Screw driver might be best... Might hurt myself with a big hammer :)

So, stayed home to do some packing instead. Shesh! I really need a bunch of packing fairies to come and do this for me. I really do not like to pack at all. I sooner work the construction stuff and let someone else pack :) I just do not know what to pack, what not to pack yet. Cause once it's packed I sure ain't digging through boxes to find something I need! Yuck...

Amazingly I've been taking it easy and doing things as I can and just going with it. And so far so good :) Less then 3 weeks to go for our move in weekend. Hubby is figuring 2 months per room since I work in slow motion with not feeling up to it more often then not. So, no new pictures until the first room is done which is going to be the kitchen.

I'm sick and it's usually not a good enough excuse for my house to be messy or dishes to not be done, but let me tell people I'm moving and it's a-ok... :(

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
Oh Angie just thinking of climbing 3 flights of stairs makes me hurt.  :-[  I am glad you are at a different place.

Just go slow, take care, and have fun. ;)

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi