Author Topic: Winter 2011/2012  (Read 2693 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Winter 2011/2012
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:17:53 AM »
Yep . . . it's that time of year again.   ::)

Just a little reminder to those who experience the extreme weather in winter to BE PREPARED before the storm(s) hit.  Believe me, with the way Mother Nature has unveiled her wrath this past year or so, I doubt things will let up any time soon!

Check your supplies in your home and vehicles to make sure you are prepared in the event you are without power in your home for a couple of days, or stuck out in the elements in your car.

If you don't have a "plan" of action for when disaster hits, I strongly suggest you get one in motion NOW.    Get your affairs in order - important papers, phone numbers, keep your medicines up-to-date, vehicles in working order, stock up (if you are able to) with canned goods, manual can opener, bottled water, batteries, flashlights, lanterns w/oil, gloves, boots, shovels, salt, firewood, radio, blankets . . . . the list goes on and on.

Keep your cell phones charged up.

Don't wait until the last minute and then scramble to find stuff.  Even a spare can of gasoline if you have somewhere to store it might come in handy in an emergency.

I always have to shake my head when the first snow comes and everyone is running to the stores to get snow shovels, gloves and boots (plus milk and bread).  Bet they are surprised when it snows in December/January!!

Don't bury your head in the sand and think you'll take care of this later . . . because, you know what?  You will be buried in the sand (or snow)!!

Make sure and keep an eye on your gasoline gauge in your vehicle - in the winter months keep your tank at least half full.  Make sure you have a snow scraper, gloves, blanket, boots, some snacks, a container to put snow in for drinking purposes if you need it (just make sure it's not yellow snow!!   ;)   ::)).  Also, make sure your cell phone is charged up.  At least with modern technology, the cell phone has come in quite handy in instances where you can contact help should an emergency arise when you're out in the weather and you don't have to set out on foot to find a phone like you use to.

Listen to the weather reports and when the weatherman (or woman) says, STAY HOME . . . do just that!!

Please be careful this winter.

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Katybarstool

Re: Winter 2011/2012
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
Thanks for that reminder Mrs Bucky.

Can I just add that I also make sure I have at least a one day supply of all my meds in my car? Indeed, I have had to use them once when I was severely delayed getting home in the snow.

Kathyx

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
Good ideas, ladies!  I don't get a lot of snow here, but being prepared is smart.  Kathy, I think I'll copy your idea of carrying a day's meds in the car.  You never know when an unexpected delay or emergency may occur. 

Please do be careful in snow and ice!
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
Can I just add that I also make sure I have at least a one day supply of all my meds in my car?

Kathyx - this is a good idea, but . . . I would be hesitant to leave them in the car for an extended amount of time as most medicine is temperature sensitive. If it would stay out in really cold weather for a while, I'm not sure that would be good for them.

Maybe, if we make sure and keep an extra day's supply in our purse?  (now, granted, the guys don't carry purses . . .  ;))

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Duchess

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »
Thanks.

I am getting prepared.

Duchess
58 y/o, Sjogren's, Lupus, Raynaud's, Mitral Valve Repair, Asthma, Myofascial Pain. Plaquenil, Inhalers, Ibuprofen,Exovac, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Omega 3, Eye Drops, Quinipril, Massage therapy.

Pisces24

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
Unfortunately I work for "Corporate America".
There have been many times where the weatherman is telling people to stay off the roads and I call in our 800 work line and we are still open and have to come in. If we do not come in it is counted as an unsheculed leave and we only get 5 per running calendar year. (Very strict. Ihad to get an FMLA due to it for my SJS to protect myself.)
So If the weather is bad, I can't get out, and work is open, I try get a ride from my emergency person (works at same co & hubby had a BIG snowblower) or try to get a cab. Then they say they don't want us to risk our lives driving to work.  ::)

I tend to stay prepared too for emergencies but can't do much when snowed in and I have to work.

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
I tend to stay prepared too for emergencies but can't do much when snowed in and I have to work.

I know at one time you mentioned that your workplace was going to put into action that on occasion, employees could work from home.  Did anything ever happen to make this a reality?  On a really snowy day would be the perfect time for you to stay home, yet you could still "work" for the company from home.

I'm thankful that the company I work for knows if the weather is really bad, nobody will be out on the roads - and therefore, we wouldn't have any guests (restaurant), and will close our business.  I work part-time and my days are flexible, so it's not a problem for me.  I'm sorry your employer is so strict on their policies.   :(

Bucky

Pisces24

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
I tried to pin my boss down on when "stay at home and work" was applicable but no luck. They are reviewing it.  ::) :P :P  I think it will go into action when the whole city gets 6 ft of snow and nobody is moving.  SIGH!!

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
Pisces, Is there anyway that you can get a doctors slip that states that it is hazardous to your health to go out in bad road/snowstorm conditions, etc.

Seems like the company is setting themselves up for liable if one of their employees with a chronic health issue is compelled to get to work. I know that as a nurse I always had to get to work not matter what and that I would carry clothes with me and stay overnight in town rather than chance the roads. That is the one thing I don't miss. Irish

Meld256

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
Really good tips/reminders for us, Bucky.  ;D 8)

Reminds me that I have meant to scan important numbers and documents to keep handy in one place ready to go in an emergency if needed. 

I started keeping a day or two's worth of meds in my purse about a year ago. We had a scare with a local factory that had a chemical fire and the neigborhood was evacuated. We lucked out that they evacuated only to the street next to us, but I began thinking then how to be ready if something unexpected happened quickly. 

And I think we had 5 or 6 tornado warnings last summer; I'm not taking time to gather up med bottles or important papers when I need to head out the door or hide in the bathtub!