Author Topic: eye much drier after cautery??  (Read 4865 times)

Skylar

Re: eye much drier after cautery??
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »
I haven't had plugs or cauterized tear ducts so I can't address those issues. I am wondering though if this is related to swelling/inflammation etc. due to the surgery on your tear ducts? I know any kind of injury - large or small tends to send my body into a feeding fest for whatever part of my body was injured.

I hope you find some relief soon, I can't imagine the frustration of having this done and it still not working.

valene2009

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
thank you very much. i was wondering that too but ihad the cautery done in august!  i am so frustrated!

valene2009

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 06:44:46 AM »
my left eye is sooo dry. everyday.. i have had3 docs look at it.. what should i do?? go back to the original doc who did the cautery?? even tho he has told me 2x the puncta is shut... this is not normal for me.. help

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:48 AM »
Valene, you mentioned using Prednisol.   I'm assuming that is a steroid drop (??)  If so, maybe that is making the dryness worse.  I hope you get some answers and feel better soon! 
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

soycoffee

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »
Valene, I hate to add a suggestion from left field, but it seems unusual to me to have one eye worse than the other. I *do* have that, where my right eye dried out so much that it affected the cornea -- a condition called corneal opacity. The old cause was a third cranial nerve injury from an ancient traumatic brain injury. That tended to dry out my right eye. Then, when I got the temporary condition known as Bell's Palsy (autoimmune, inflammatory, swelling disease of the 7th cranial nerve), first tears ran down my cheeks especially from my right eye, and then the right eye dried up.

You might ask your ophthalmologist that you see on Wednesday whether s/he would consider a referral to a neuro ophthalmologist, who would look not just at the eye itself, but at the nerves that control the functioning of the eye.

I can think of at least a half a dozen responses your doctor might have, so it may not be the easiest conversation. And I could be wrong, too. I'm just saying that injuries/swelling in the cranial nerves can affect a single eye, and one of the effects can be excessive dryness.

Good luck,
Soycoffee

valene2009

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »
thanks. i plan on askng alot of things.. my left eye has always been more dry.. i know other people i have spoken with have 1 eye that is their worst too... i hope to get to the bottom of this. thanks

newhorizons

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
When I had cataract surgery two years ago on both eyes a month apart, within 6 months my mouth became dry. At next rheumy appt he looked in my mouth and agreed my mouth appeared very dry... RX, pilocarphine, generic for Salagen. I take it 3 times a day.

Hope you get some answers and some relief. My eyes have been my worse Sjogren's issue. Of course, at least 15 years I did not know it was Sjogren's. Diagnosed in 1995 at John Hopkins... 600 miles from where I live.

eyeamdry

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
Valene, it is rare to find a doctor who will
express your glands."  Most do not want to be bothered, or act like they have never heard of it.  I'd give that doc a plus on that alone.  I hope things get better

valene2009

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »
Lucy thanks.. i was supposed to go back to that doc today but he had an emergency..i am going back to my doc 2 hours away on monday.. hopefully i will get some answers.