Author Topic: what would you think?  (Read 3325 times)

12lovehim

what would you think?
« on: November 03, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »
This week I had a call from a completely different Imaging Center (15) miles away asking if I could come in for a specialized MRA-MRI. This would be my 5th brain scan in 5 months 2nd in 30 days. My Dr didn't even mention wanting to do another scan 3 weeks ago.
So here is my conversation with the tec while prepping for the scan.

Tec: Hello let's go over some info before we start. It says here you have a brain tumor.
Me: No honey you must have the wrong forms.
Tec: Oh let me check, can U verify ur birth date.
Me: Verifying
Tec: (insert paper flipping here) Oh I see you had a brain tumor right.
Me: No
Tec: (looking uncomfortable) Are you sure you have never had a tumor? Anywhere? Really (looking at paper work again) Never anywhere in ur body?
Me: I am quite sure I have never had a tumor!
Tec: Pardon me I need to get the senior tec for a moment. (After a brief absents) Ok I see the issue, we are ruling out the prospect of a tumor.

Me: Shouldn't the other 4 scans have ruled that out?
Tec: Well this is a specialized test and will take 2 hours. It is very different than the ones you had before.
Me: Is that good or bad?
Tec: You need to contact your Dr Miss.

This test was much longer and very different than every other MRI-MRA that I had a month ago. My Dr is out of the area till next week. My hubby was very upset he was on the other side of the wall from the waiting room I was in and heard the whole thing.
So will you all send me messages to not let my mind go to bad places till I see my Dr. I don't trust myself not to..
Thanks...
12Love

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
Re: what would you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
How strange and frightening!  I'm wondering if they  got you mixed up with another patient.   That has happened to me before.   Once when I went to a lab for bloodwork, the orders had my name, ss#, etc., but the wrong tests were listed.  Then there was a time that I was hospitalized on the cancer floor and an orderly came to take me for radiation treatments.   I was not on radiation treatments, and I refused to go.  I guess he thought I was demented, because he wouldn't take "no"  for an answer until I called in help.

I don't blame you for being upset, but try not to panic until you can talk to your doctor.   There has to be an explanation.   I'm sending you hugs and prayers.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
I would think, 'idiot tech should be shot".

well your mind will go where it will.

But your common sense can try to ignore it............

I know how you are feeling.

But I've never gotten even a slight head nod out of a tech, much less completely inappropriate and crazy information like you got.

I have had doctors call me by the wrong name because they had the wrong chart in front of them.

We all need advocates and lots of strength to deal with the medical system.

It's a good thing we have the medical system when we need it, but most of the time I'm afraid something will go wrong (like radiation treatment NOT for me) and I'll get wiped out.

Well, hang in there.

You sound reasonably sane after all those tests, 12love.  Good for you.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

lynnmarie219

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
I know its easier said than done...but please try not to worry until you get the facts. I would recommend going directly to the source and call your doctor tomorrow to answer your questions. That way you will know for sure if it was a very bad mistake or if they are looking for something else and what that may be. I don't blame you though...It sounds like a very scary experience and I would be on that phone asap to ease my mind!

Take care and please keep us posted...

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
Boy you must have very good insurance. It sounds to me like the American Money Association wants to suck as much from you as they possibly can. If they keep you in fear, they can extract more money.

If there were something the other four would have turned it up. Relax, take a breath, you are in the creators hands.

bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

soycoffee

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
Every once in a while our available medical systems tend to put together "gangs who can't shoot straight." It sounds to me like your experience had nothing to do with a real or potential diagnosis, just with an unfortunate assembly of techs who couldn't get out of a mode of thinking and acting that they had been locked in for most of the day.

Also,remember Scarlett O'Hara in GWTW ("Gone with the Wind"): "I'll think about it tomorrow." Easier said than done, and I could benefit from my own advice sometimes.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
Unless you hear otherwise - I would try to put a positive spin on the test. Tests are good for ruling things out!!

The Tec, however, should be shot!

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
Did I miss the follow up on this, 12love?

Keep us posted.

Hugs

Elaine

Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarthritis-COPD-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Intertrigo-Act.Purpura-Raynaud's-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Co-Q10-D3-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Omeprazole-

12lovehim

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:34:27 PM »
Its funny so sorry not to keep everyone posted. Well I have a tumor where my pitutary should be. So we are doing a biopsy this week as soon as insurance approves it. These are mostly non-cancerous but we will soon find out.
I am glad because I have been doing bio-ident hormone replacement which is the treatment for this anyway. Which is why my dr thought it took so long to find (thank God for that weird eye test a while back or we would never have got here.)
So this is my public message out there, plaquinel (sp) can cause minor vision issues but if you have not been on it for very long Question everything.
Also this could be the reason I had adrenal issues last month! So here's to seeing some fatigue relief if they end up completely removing the "what happened to my pitutary" tumor.
Thanks for asking.. I just hate really the thought of a major flair after an operation as minor or major as it may be (they go in threw the mouth/sinus) like I need that :-(

Well bless ya all.. Kerry

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
I pray that all goes well with out complications.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
kerry, I am so glad that they found this tumor and are going ahead aggressively with surgery.

I am also wondering where the tumor went. Maybe it is still there but inside the other tissue???

I can relate toyou worrying about having a flare following surgery. I would talk to the docs cause I would bet that they would load you up with steroids during this surgery. Any time something is done in the brain steroids are usually needed to keep the swelling down. This may help to prevent a flair---at least in the immediate future.

Sometimes we are just lucky and a flare doesn't come for some reason. The one good thing is that the anesthesias are so good these days that our body doesn't get as stressed out as it did years ago. Good luck with this. I will keep you in my prayers. Irish ;D

GeorgiaGirl

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »
Wow, what an experience!  Not only could the bedside manner of doctors be better, but geez, some office staffs are lacking in communication skills (underpaid, too, but that's another post). 

I do hope and pray that your pituitary tumor is like the one of a close friend.  Her's was discovered last year and it has been well-controlled medically without any side effects.