Author Topic: What would cause Low Red Blood Count?  (Read 2925 times)

12lovehim

What would cause Low Red Blood Count?
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
Hi all... A few a months ago I took part in the Sjogrens Study at University... I am so excited to toss it in my Rheumys face.. Well thats another story... They sent me my copy of the results.. Now the SSA came out pos as usual but the ssb was neg.. An my Red Blood cell count was really low..

Usually I got some crazy White blood count issue with an infection.. So was wondering if this happened to anyone else?

12love

Still in the hunt

Re: What would cause Low Red Blood Count?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 05:34:33 PM »
Anemia?

jazzlover

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
usually anemia
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

mshistory

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
I agree, it sounds like anemia which is common with SjS and Lupus. I've been anemic off and on for years...I have to remember to take vitamins with iron in them, or I become anemic again.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
THey are right. There can be anemia with lupus and sjogrens and I would imagine other AI issues. The autoimmune disease affects the bone marrow which makes the red blood cells.

I don't know how bad the anemia is, but ask your doc to check your ferritin level. If this is low then for sure you need to take some iron supplements. Also, ask about taking vitamin C with the iron pills. The C helps the body absorb the iron better. Good luck. Irish ;D