Author Topic: Knee and rib pain  (Read 3268 times)

tcronrath

Knee and rib pain
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:22 AM »
Hi,

last June, during a flare, I would awaken between 3 and 4 am with excrutiating knee pain. The only thing that helped was to uncover my knees.  Suddenly, the pain stopped and was gone.  A few days ago it reappeared and I think i know what it was...a form of neuropathy from getting just a smidgen of gluten. I am celiac and I got just a tiny gluten 48 hours (this time) before the knee pain came. I believe it comes on at night after my legs heat up under the covers.  It quit after 3 nights of misery. 2 days ago I hiked 6 miles with no pain-and none at night. Do you agree with my assertation? When I told my rheummy my knees hurt she said come and get knee injections and I said I wanted to know why I had the pain. Also for about 2 years, the left side of my chest on the side (below my armpit) ached. Doc said costochondritis. Now I have it on my right side and it hurts.  Anyone have this ever?

Thanks,

Tammy

Cricket

Re: Knee and rib pain
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum, sorry I have no answers for you.
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Hi, i have the same pain under my armpit area of my chest. I learned on this site that it was moat likely costochondritis, but my pain usually is along with when my glands under my arm lare up and hurt. Not sure if there is anything that can be done.  But I think you are probably right about the gluten effecting the knee pain. If I eat the wrong food even a little bite my glands start to swell and cause pain to the surrounding area.

newhorizons

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:48:13 PM »
My knees show on Xray that the synovial fluid is gone and that both knees are rubbing at points bone on bone...OUCH!!!! Factor in many years of wear and tear... I'm a senior citizen! ;)

I get the Euflexxa injections every 6 months. I just cannot bring myself to entertain the idea of replacing a knee or even worse knees... a NO<NO<NO in my mind. :(

Yes, to Costochondritis. It will flare and last for months. I sleep with a small heating pad on usually my right side just at the lower part of rib cage.  Years ago local doctor called it pleurisy and said it was inflammation on the outside of my rib cage. Had no idea about the health issue of Sjogren's during this period in my life.  Three or four winters I have pneumonia and it would then end up lingering as what was then called pleurisy.
My lungs have issues that are chronic.

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »
Newhorizons - One of my knees was bone on bone at one side. I understand the pain. It's crippling. I had a partial knee replacement and its the best thing I ever did. I had it in 2006 when I was 54. My knee is like new. I went from being vitrtually unable to walk because of the pain to being relatively active active again. It made such a difference to my life. What's more - it felt better within a month of the op. (Not normal - but better. 5 years on - it feels 'normal')

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

tcronrath

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »
Thanks to all for the replies! My knees are fine now-I will just watch the gluten for sure! The costochondritis is all over my rib and back area (not in the sternum area though) and is sore and aches, but not terrible. It is kind of a constant companion and not too terrible!

Tammy Cronrath

150 mg Imuran
12.5 mg prednisone
35 mg nortriptylene

Jenny

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:54:55 AM »
Just to let you know, I also get Costochondritis. don't know if it's another "Sjogrens thing" but it's very painful.  Since it's right under my heart, my Dr sent me for a stress test before he figured out what it was.  Anti inflammatories and many months later it was gone. Good luck.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries