Author Topic: A New Leaf Club 2011/2012  (Read 31822 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
Re: A New Leaf Club 2011/2012
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
Carebear - good job on painting the den!  They need a clapping icon here.   ;D

MiJoy - you've got a lot accomplished, don't beat yourself up if it ALL doesn't get done before your kids arrive home for the holidays.  I know for myself, I expect a quick fix, but it didn't get that way overnight, and will take time to complete.

You're doing great . . . give yourself some well deserved credit!   ;D

I have the day off work tomorrow  . . . hmmmm, what WILL I get into?  Don't know that right now.  I had told my niece last week that I would help her if she needed it to get ready for Thanksgiving (we're all eating at her house).  I haven't heard anything from her.  I "should" go to the grocery store and get the things I need to make for Thursday before all the mad, last minute rush, of everybody hitting the stores on Wednesday.

So, we'll play it by ear and see what happens.  IF I go to the grocery store, I'll go first thing in the morning and "get in and get out".  (That's my motto  ;D )

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »
Well, I got 2 pumpkin pies and one big apple pie made in a rectangular jelly roll pan. I will work on the 2 GF pumpkin and one GF custard pies tomorrow. I did not get anything else done today because I had an "event" this afternoon.

No, I did not "poo" my pants. At least not yet. lol I went to the BCBS office to talk to my insurance salesman about part D and when entering the office I opened the big heavy door which then came back and caught the back of my left shoe and then jammed my right foot(with shoe on) under the little ledge in the step while the door jammed into the back of my leg and achilles tendon.

It wedged me and I ended up falling into the office with my leg twisted and caught in the door. Man it really hurt. I just sat on the floor for awhile til the pain subsided as I watched the leg turn black and blue. I am astounded that I did not tear a muscle, tendon or get some type of fracture of my leg with that twisting.

I have only had 1 tylenol and did ice it when I got home. I was just going on my errands and still had to get to the grocery store. I got the groceries and then got home and got the chickenon the rotisserie (sp) and started the potatoes. Hubby came home and made the pea salad and did up the dishes so I could rest.

My insurance guy is very nice man and he was so concerned and wanted me to go to ER. I told him when I left that if I had pain I would call him at 2 AM. lol  So, I am doing so much better than I thought I would. It hinders my walking and I know I won't get as much done as I planned to but "so be it". You can never tell what the day will bring!!! Irish ;D

Meld256

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2011, 12:33:27 AM »
Bucky,

So glad you reminded me to NOT go into the grocery on Wed. I need just a few things and Tues. will be the day for it! 
I'm so excited that our daughter is driving down from Ohio on Wednesday after her OB doc appt. and can stay until Sunday.  Her husband doesn't want to miss his family's gathering, so she said "I'm going to Kentucky!" We haven't seen her since the end of Sept.  Looking forward to seeing her and her little "baby bump".  She is 17 weeks pregnant now.
I'm washing sheets and getting the house smelling nice. (her sensitive nose) And need to buy some extra fresh fruit for her. :)

Irish,
Good grief! I hope your leg and ankle are ok.  :( Nothing like being banged up for Thanksgiving! Keep us posted, ok?

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:43 AM »
Good grief, Irish - you don't need to making a claim as you walk/fall into the insurance office!!   ::)   ;)

You poor thing - sorry, you got a boo-boo.  You'll just have to take 'er easy and not overdo it.  Maybe the three pies you already have made will be good enough - skip the other three.

Meld - yep, get to the store today if you can - it will be crazy tomorrow.  The day before a holiday the grocery stores are always busy, busy (and some times, slim pickins!).

Enjoy your visit with your daughter.  I know you're excited for her visit. 

I've already been to the grocery store this morning and got everything I needed.  Most all of the things I am taking for Thanksgiving dinner have to be done that morning.  Deviled eggs, veggie tray and salad.  I bought my eggs last week as it is so frustrating when trying to make deviled eggs and the shell breaks off into tiny pieces if the eggs are too fresh.

I was going to pick up a pie or something at the grocery store this morning (not as scrumptious as Irish's homemade pies  . . . . ), but they end up having soooo many desserts, I decided to skip it.   ;D

Not to be a downer, but as I was looking at all the yummy pies in the freezer section of the store, I looked at the cheesecake.  ONE slice had 450 calories!!!   :o  WOW!!!  Maybe instead of having a "slice" of something, they should cut out little round circles, about the size of a quarter.  That way, you can taste a lot of different things and not have quite all the calories.

Of course, you know, if you cut a dessert in half - the calories leak out!!  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!   ;D

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
Today, after work, I stopped at the quaint antique shop on the square.  I had stopped in there last month asking the owner if she wanted to borrow my silver pom-pom Christmas tree and color wheel. 

I didn't give her my name or phone number then, I told her I would stop by after Thanksgiving.

Well, today when I stopped in, they were getting ready to lug up the big green tree from the store basement.  I mentioned I was the person who had talked to her about the store borrowing my tree and she got so excited.  I told her I had it with me in the car and I went out and brought it in.

I set it up for her and got the color wheel set up.  I kept telling her, now remember, THIS IS NOT FOR SALE.  She assured me she wouldn't sell it.  LOL   ;)

So, I will "share" my tree with the community and use a different tree here at home this year.   ;D

Does anybody want to come over tomorrow and help me switch out the fall decorations for the Christmas ones?  I'll make lunch for you.   :D

Bucky

Narablueeyes

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
Geez Irish!  I'm glad you're not flat on your back in the hospital!!  Hope it doesnt give you too much more grief.

I woke up Thursday morning with nothing pre-made or prepared early.  So I just got busy and used all my spoons in about 2 1/2 hours.  I had a roasting hen that I coated in butter and stuffed with apples and baked doe 2 hours.  I had hubby peel and dice potatoes for homemade mashed taters.  I made mushroom stuffing.  And made enough punkin pies to feed the entire Steeler team.  Made gravy from the chicken drippins too.

Today I cleaned out my pantry area and threw away stuff with expiration dates from 2009!!  I vacuumed pantry, kitchen, and half of dining room.  Used up all my spoons yet again before 1 p.m.

Tomorrow I plan on vacuuming the other half of dining room and living room and then taking dynamite to the dining table to declutter months worth of mail and magazines and typical crap. Yay...

Hope y'all had a nice thanksgiving.  SITH, hoping you're okay.

Carebear

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »
Oh, Bucky.  You brought back so many memories of Christmases past for me.

We had a silver tree with the colour wheel too when I was young..green, red, blue and yellow.  ;D  I would lie in the dark for hours, watching the colour wheel turning and singing to the Christmas albums.  ;D
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

kimbo

• Love never fails
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »
Well, that took awhile to read!

Bucky, you make us all better Sjoggies!

Irish, I think we could make a Hallmark Holiday movie with your activities.  I am so glad you are okay.

Bucky one of the things, you pointed out recently, was out dated cosmetics and such. I can't get you out of my head.

I went through my bathrooms and carried out 2 huge garbage bags full.

My sister was over for Thanksgiving and ask me if I had something for a cold. Nothing. Child cough syrup, one bottle.
I made one tub to place all extra toiletries in the hall closet. So that I would only have one place to look and see if I had sale shopped surpluses when I am running low of something in the bathrooms. This was because it annoys me to look through all the cabinets looking to see if I have what I need.

I have thrown all expired items through out my house.

My garage is packed neatly with plastic tub containers, although most of what's in them, I will never use again. My near plans are to minimize.
I think as we get older it becomes much more important to simplify, because it is harder to function in an abundance of clutter.
In an earlier post some one mentioned we only actually wear 20% of our clothes most of the time. There is a lot of freedom in taking clutter obstacles out of our way.
Diagnosed March of 2007. SJS/ RA Positive at 80  International-SSA strongly positive at 811-SSB 273
ANA positive at 1:1280
Hashimoto's
Gabapentin, propanol, Celebrex, Synthroid, Cytomel, vitamin D, B complex, Omega 3 complex, and multi vitamins; At 62, I seem to be a low maintenance sjog

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »
After my week away, with two days of six hours of driving each way to & from south Florida from east Tennessee, I'm home!

Why am I reporting this on the New Leaf Club thread you ask?

Because I unpacked everything! All in one day!

Proud of myself!
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Narablueeyes

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
I AM SOOOOOO IMPRESSED!!!!  WTG Abbey!! ;D

Meld256

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
I've not kept up on this thread too well lately, but...now:  Wow, impressed with you, A66ey!  You should be proud of yourself.  I'm sure you're glad to be home.  ;)

kimbo,
It's good to see you posting again. Isn't it amazing what we can end up with in our bathrooms?  I try (and that's the operative word here) to pick out a few items from the cabinets every few weeks so it doesn't get out of control.  Stuff just seems to multiply all by itself!

Nara,
You've really been on a roll!  You must be feeling much better this week; I really hope so!  8)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2011, 05:51:10 PM »
Nara - good job on cleaning out the pantry. 

I always "date" the food I put in the pantry so I know when I bought it.  It's amazing how time flies by and before you know it, some stuff is over a year old!   ::)

A66eyroad - woohoo for unpacking everything in one day!  (I tend to pull things out of the suitcase when I need them after a trip.)

Kimbo -  hey lady - I've missed you!    Good job on cleaning out the bathrooms.  Wow, two huge garbage bags full!  Amazing how it accumulates isn't it?

Good for you for getting rid of all the expired items in your house!   :D

My near plans are to minimize. I think as we get older it becomes much more important to simplify, because it is harder to function in an abundance of clutter.

AMEN to that!!  Those are my plans too.   ;D

Everyone is doing a great job - keep up the good work!   8)

Bucky

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »
Boy, some of you ohave really been hitting the cleaning. Nara----you sure did a lot of vacuuming. THat really can do me on some days. Heck, cleaning has become a real chore compared to when I was a young pup.

Bucky, I had forgotten about those old trees with the colored lights. Man, what year is your tree from. Has to be the 60's or so I would think. Seems like they were around about the time those white totally flocked Christmas trees were selling also.

kimbo, sure good to see you around again. Missed ya.

Hope everyone is doing well after the holiday.

My 3 sons did move my big bookcase and the piano on Thanksgiving day and they didn't even complain. Last time they did it they told me that was the last time. I think they forgot about that remark.

I spent some of the day vacuuming and putting the books back in the bookcase, Getting some Christmas decor out for the tables. I have a smaller round table and a larger rectangle dining room table in the living room that has become the dining room. I love it. The grandkids can sit at the round one!!! I can also do some reading and business, letters, etc on the round one and watch the cars go by. Irish ;D

Meld256

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Irish,

Sounds like you've been busy, too.  Your 3 sons probably decided it wasn't a big deal to move a little furniture, and that was nice of them.  ;)  Having your small round table in the living room sounds like a great idea!  A good spot for you and the grandkids.

I'm trying to get the energy going to get some Christmas decor out today.  Wish me luck, everyone! Think I'm recouping from Thanksgiving; gee that was almost a week ago, wasn't it? I did more all weekend with our daughter here til Sunday so that explains that.  But it was so great to spend 4 days with her.

Seems like I'm just catching up on the "basics" around the house, so I won't hope for anything more. If I manage a few Christmas decorations I'll feel really accomplished!

My MIL wants her tree put up and all her decor out, which is a job.  Not that I mind helping, but she has a LOT of stuff.  It means getting her big tree and a bunch of storage containers out of her shed (which is up a hill, of course)  ;) and putting up wreaths and lights, and outside stuff, and, and...etc. 

Me and my husband have done this the last 3 years.  There's a few other family members who COULD help.  I think I'll suggest a "Mamaw's tree-trimming party!"  With about 6 of us, we could knock it out in 2-3 hours.  That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it.  (now to see what SHE says about that.) 

ladybelle

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »
I am a latecomer to the New Leaf Club (and a newbie to the Sjogrens group).  Everyone seems to be encouraging and I too have some dreaded house tasks to get done!  Today I am planning to get rid of magazines, paper, and mail clutter.  I know there are some health EOBs and such to go through in there that I have been avoiding! 

There are often too many things that I want to read that my eyes are not up to, but saving them for too long just leads to piles of clutter!!!