Author Topic: What's cooking at your house?  (Read 48613 times)

Narablueeyes

Re: What's cooking at your house?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
Cooking tonight?  Fish pie.  Yum.  :)

Um, I love fish but have never heard of fish pie.  how do you prepare it?

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2011, 06:35:57 AM »
Peel and cook potatoes. Mash them
Hardboil a couple of eggs and peel them.
Cook some smoked fish and some white fish in milk. Drain (keep the milk) and roughly flake the fish.

Make a white sauce and put the flaked fish and chopped hard boiled eggs into it. Season to taste. Smoked fish is often quite salty but it's nice to add pepper.

Put into a casserole dish and smother the top with mashed potato. Oven bake until the potato browns on top.

Variations:  add lightly fried onions to the white sauce mix. Use prawns as well as fish. Use sweetcorn in the mix. Grate some cheese on top of the potato and let it melt in and brown up.

Yum. ( and it's easy to swallow because it's 'wet'.)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Narablueeyes

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2011, 07:35:36 AM »
Peel and cook potatoes. Mash them
Hardboil a couple of eggs and peel them.
Cook some smoked fish and some white fish in milk. Drain (keep the milk) and roughly flake the fish.

Make a white sauce and put the flaked fish and chopped hard boiled eggs into it. Season to taste. Smoked fish is often quite salty but it's nice to add pepper.

Put into a casserole dish and smother the top with mashed potato. Oven bake until the potato browns on top.

Variations:  add lightly fried onions to the white sauce mix. Use prawns as well as fish. Use sweetcorn in the mix. Grate some cheese on top of the potato and let it melt in and brown up.

Yum. ( and it's easy to swallow because it's 'wet'.)

AAHHHHHHH!!!!!  That's the same as my shepherds pie except you use fish and I use ground beef!!  I would've never thought to use fish!  I use ground beef plus any leftovers from the week and then top with potatoes.  I'm giving your fish pie a try!!

Patze

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:01 PM »
Yummy Scottie, that sounds so gggggooooooooooooooodddddddd!!!!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
I'll pass . . . I'm not crazy about fish.

Tonight I had vegetable soup.  Hit the spot.   ;D

Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Meld256

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Leftover homemade beef stew...tasty!  No energy to cook today.  :P

Meld256

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
Scottie, mashed potatoes are "mash" there, right?  You may have to give us a "bangers and mash" recipe.  ;)

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:02 AM »
We have BritCon next September. How do you make Bangers and Mash? That is one of the dishes that our British guests have asked for. The other dish is bread pudding.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Narablueeyes

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2011, 08:43:35 AM »
Scottie, mashed potatoes are "mash" there, right?  You may have to give us a "bangers and mash" recipe.  ;)

Sausages and mashed potatoes with a rather rich onion gravy.  I've made this one before and it's a huge hit with me hubby!

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
It sounds like the gravy is the key. Do you have a recipe for it? I'm a dumb man that does not know how to cook.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

Meld256

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
Hey, Nara, you know what bangers and mash are!  ;) I just learned recently from our UK and Canadian friends here.  It sounds really good. 

We'll have to send you a recipe, Joe. So, Nara? The floor is yours.  ;D 8)

Meld256

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
I FINALLY got around to making the potato soup today, like I meant to about 2 weeks ago.  It's chilly and rainy here and it tasted great.  Yummy!

Narablueeyes

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2011, 03:21:11 AM »
Hey, Nara, you know what bangers and mash are!  ;) I just learned recently from our UK and Canadian friends here.  It sounds really good. 

We'll have to send you a recipe, Joe. So, Nara? The floor is yours.  ;D 8)

Joe and Melinda,

The secret is trying to cut calories!!  Sometimes I used kielbasa, sometimes chicken and apple sausage, Sometimes HOT sausage.  Depends on your tastes that day.  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS REAL MASHED TATERS!!!  None of this boxed stuff unless you just don't have energy.  For the gravy, I use a beef broth mixed with milk and flour.  I saut? onions and then pour the beef broth in; mix the flour in cold milk to prevent clumping and get the onions and broth boiling.  Pour in milk and stir CONSTANTLY and lower flame to low medium.  Once it starts to thicken, turn fire off and keep stirring.  I like ti slice up the sausage before putting it on the taters and then add gravy on top - a lot of gravy.  This is a bowl meal for us.  You can try a plate but I think it works better in a bowl.

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2011, 07:29:28 AM »
Thanks for the recipe. I have added it to the file for the convention. Now I will let Jan figure out how to adjust it for 500 people.

Narablueeyes

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »
Thanks for the recipe. I have added it to the file for the convention. Now I will let Jan figure out how to adjust it for 500 people.

Just multiply everything by 1000!  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!  That's a mighty courageous undertaking!!  Best of luck.