Author Topic: party and non-payment  (Read 1702 times)

ashewoman

party and non-payment
« on: June 28, 2012, 06:04:02 AM »
Dear Fellow SJSers,

The patio garden party I've been talking about at my house happened last night and it was so much fun.  My brother came over and helped me whip this house into amazing shape.  I made a few lame protests out of embarrassment and his answer was, "I want to help and I know you need the help."  I couldn't have done it without him and I'm so grateful.  I think he's finally getting that I want to do everything like I could but I just can't.  I didn't feel like he begrudged any of the effort he put into it and my house still looks great today.  He used to run an institutional kitchen in an Alzheimer patient facility and his organizational skill are far superior to what mine have ever been, even before I got sick. :)  He set everything up so that the after party clean up took like five minutes. 

Now it looks like we are going to have to have a 2nd party for a couple of reasons.  First, only about 10 people came.  I printed the wrong date on the invitation and we didn't know it until someone told us.  I put JULY 27th instead of June 27th.  So there are 15 more people who think it's next month anyway and that's why they didn't show up last night.  Also we have another 4lb box of catfish.  Honestly, as silly as I feel about the invitation screw up, I was relieved to discover that's why only a few people came.  I thought maybe I'd overestimated my popularity.  LOL

The only down side to the whole thing was that I went up and down the backstairs setting up and during the party more times in one day than I normally do in 2 weeks- a month.  It's hard to say.  I mean I go out that way every time I take the dog out but I don't normally do it over and over back to back all day.  And from 2-11pm that's exactly what I was doing up and down.  So my hips and legs are so sore.  But at least I was able to do it, even if it was tiring and later painful.  I really think the meds are working.  I don't necessarily aim for a pain free life, but I do want to be able to do some of the things I used to even if there is some bearable discomfort.  I don't want to feel like a prisoner of SJS.

Finally, non-payment.  The federal inspector woke me up at 8am to do his follow up inspection of this apt.  Which wouldn't have been a pain if I hadn't been up until 4am with some pain from the extra busy day yesterday.  However, I was happy my house was super clean even if it wasn't intentionally for the inspector.  Some of you may remember me complaining and thinking I'd have to move after he came last time due to the number of repairs he demanded and my feelings that the landlord simply wouldn't do them.  They did only one of the repairs.  All my adult life I've rented and I've heard people say, "Oh those renters they just tear a place up because they don't respect the value of property ownership, blah blah blah..."  Not all property owners respect their own property but they sure like to blame the renter.  I'd like to know how I could have possibly damaged the roof or ceilings... seems like if they respected their own property it wouldn't be in that shape.  Anyway, they only fixed one of the things he told them too.  The ceiling in the bedroom that was leaking, water damaged and causing an electrical hazard?  They spray painted the water stains.  Anyway, he failed them.  They are not getting paid anymore.  This has nothing to do with me.  He told me he's not paying.  And if they don't fix it in the next 30 days, I will have to move.  But I'll worry about that later.  I don't want anything to spoil how much fun yesterday was.  GG

Gayle

Re: party and non-payment
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
Ashe, that is so great you had such a nice time and it's good that you get to do it all over again in a month! YAHOO! I have been doing the stairs in my house much more than normal as hubby has been gone a month now. Our office is downstairs... ugh...last night I was in so much pain it was after 4am when I fell asleep. I have a call into the dr for something.. I can't take not sleeping when I am so tired... I don't understand how that works!

Glad you had a wonderful time and glad the inspector did his job. Hope the LL fixes everything this time...

Gayle

MissyLouWho?

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
So glad it was fun!!!!  Funny about the invites, chalk another one up to SJS brain fog!  ::)  I think I love your brother ;D.  That was so wonderful of him to do that and act that way.  What a great person!  And you even have another party to look forward to. 

Don't stress about moving.  They'll have to fix the apartment in full or lose their rent money.  They won't let that happen.  They have pushed until their backs are against the wall.  Now they are forced to fix it or they'll lose their income.  They have no choice.

ashewoman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:15:11 PM »
Gayle-- I know what you mean about being unable to sleep and wanting to soooo badly. 

Missylouwho-- Ha ha! He's single.  But I will warn you when he's good he's very very good and when he's bad he's a real horse's patootie.  LOL 

To both-- I hope they have to do the repairs.  I don't want the headache of moving.  This place has its drawbacks but the biggest advantage is that all my stuff is already in it. LOL  If they can make it reasonably safe to live in, then I can't see why I'd want to leave even if it ain't the Ritz.