Author Topic: the flu vaccination  (Read 10362 times)

lea78

Re: the flu vaccination
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »
I have asked at our doctors about the flu jab and they said at the moment sjogrens syndrome is not on their protocol. I would not hesitate to have the jab, my youngest daughter who was diagnose asthmatic has had it for the last 2 years.

Though i believe she caught flu last year before she had her jab. The flu really made her unwell.

As she not used her inhalers for a long time i have been told she will not require the jab this year.

I am going to see about paying for the jab this year.

I am a believer in vaccinations, my oldest daughter got measles at 9 months old, 3 months before her vaccination for it was due. But it is a personal decision, i know some people worry about them.

Calli66

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »
quoting irish "This type of flu is influenza and is not the common ordinary flu that we have alot. It is the body aching, high fevers, coughing, headache, chills, etc., think you are going to die variety. If you have ever had it you do not want to experience it again."

I had this 20 years ago and never want to go through anything like that again. Lost 10 pounds and even when it was over, I coughed my lungs out for 2 solid months.

Got my flu shot this week--2 days of sore arm, that's it.

Calli

jaygee

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »
I got flu last December.  Confined to bed - could hardly get to the bathroom unaided.  I was ill, then relapsed until March  ::)   I just got the flu jab a couple of weeks ago - I had a sore, bruised feeling in my arm for a couple of days.  I hope it works!!!!   Don't want the flu any time soon.  xx

itssue

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2011, 02:17:19 PM »
I get the jab every year.  There is no way I want to get the flu, like others have said once you've had it you never want to go through it again. 

Autoimmunity

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »
I just read an article the other day about the swine flu shot causing narcolepsy in children in Finland I think.  The one time I was talked into the stupid shot I became very ill. 
I had a big tadoo with employee health yesterday trying to force the stupid flu shot on me; basically stating within the next year or so I WILL have the shot or not be employed.  She thought she would intimidate me into the shot this year.  Hardly!  Now I am just mad and not going to be forced to inject toxins into my already ill body.  We are still in America, right??

Nancy60

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »
The flu shot is a requirement of employment where I work (major hospital) but they will allow health and religious exceptions if you have a note from your doctor or religious leader.  I am pro vaccine as I had the flu in 1999-2000 and was very ill from it and didn't have health insurance at the time except for catastrophic/hospitalization.  I probably should have been hospitalized, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it.  I was off work for weeks and coughing up crud for 2 or 3 months afterward....I never want to go through that again.

Nancy

Autoimmunity

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
The flu shot is a requirement of employment where I work (major hospital) but they will allow health and religious exceptions if you have a note from your doctor or religious leader.  I am pro vaccine as I had the flu in 1999-2000 and was very ill from it and didn't have health insurance at the time except for catastrophic/hospitalization.  I probably should have been hospitalized, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford it.  I was off work for weeks and coughing up crud for 2 or 3 months afterward....I never want to go through that again.

Nancy

Yes, I work for a hospital too.  They are moving towards making the shot mandatory; I don't know if you can opt out with a doctors note or not.  I do know it's my body, I have no patient contact and I should have the right to decide what goes into my body.   >:(

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
You don't have to have patient contact to get the flu. YOu just have to walk down the hall, open a door, talk to someone, eat a meal, talk to someone, use the phone, use the computer, etc.

The darn flu bugs live anywhere and everywhere. Supposedly people are to wash their hands, etc but that is something that is a pipe dream. Just stand in a bathroom and watch people go in and out.

No matter where you are you are going to be exposed to the flu bug. TRy going to Walmart, the grocery store, etc. It is sort of like playing Russian roulette. If you play and don't get the flu you can jump up and down for joy. If you play and you get the flu, then you are going to be sick.

Hospitals don't like people around who are playing Russian roulette because it is the people who aren't vaccinated who get sick and spread the disease more. They just can't take a chance having all their help exposed and getting sick. The hospitals know that there is a possibility of a death from the flu or other terrible side effects that may ruin a person's ability to work again.

I know that you are angry about being forced to do this, but in this day and age when a business has a policy and a person knows it there isn't much you can do about it. I fear it could cause the loss of the job. This is probably a very justifiable policy they have because if even 25% of their staff gets sick and can't work the hospital can hardly function. It really puts the health care of a community in a terrible position as the hospital admits are up and the lack of help is way down.

I was called back to work when I was on maternity leave back in 1968 during a flu epidemic. The hospital was full and the halls were full of beds. There were some deaths and a few of them in our town were young people. Back in those days I don't even remember if there was a flu vaccine, but I am thinking it hadn't come out yet or was available for only the chronically ill and older people.

Life isi not like it used to be. Irish ;D

buddybelle

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »
I agree with Irish.
Consider getting the flu vaccine if you already have lung issues. I got mine last Saturday and had no adverse effects.
Buddybelle

harlin

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
My Rheumy does require the flu and pneumonia shots, so of course I do get them. I just trust in my docs to know what I am needing.
Love and prayers,
harlin

williak

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »
My rheumy asked if I got the flu shot, which I did with no problems.  She also told me to get the pneumonia shot, which I will.  I work at a hospital so the flu shot was required, or I could wear a mask if I happen to be near an patients.  I've had the flu and an pneumonia, I prefer the shots!
Sjogrens, RA, Chronic Kidney Disease, several types of dermatitis, Granuloma annulare, plaquenil, pilocarpine, restatis, clonezapam, cymbalta, methotrexate, humira, dexilant lutein, flax seed oil

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »
I wanted to tell you one thing that was helpful to me. When I first saw my immunologist and was diagnosed with the severely low t-cells and high risk for infection he did blood work to see if my vaccinations had caused a rise in antibodies.

My tetanus shot did as did the flu shot from the previous year. People with autoimmune diseases should never get live vaccines but only the attenuated or dead vaccine. That is what my tetanus was ,etc. If you are wondering if your body can raise antibodies to any vaccines ask the doc to check your blood. You will have to be checked for the vaccines that you had most recently. Just something to think about.

I know that I have had a few times when I felt a little punk the next day after a vaccination but nothing that a tylenol didn't take care of. Irish ;D

Narablueeyes

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
Just something I came across on JAMA when I was doing some research.  It deals with pneumonia vacc on Sjogren's patients.  Short.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/245/22/2288.full.pdf?sid=f6de1640-2aae-497e-8e7d-41eaf4408149