Author Topic: the flu vaccination  (Read 10359 times)

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
Re: the flu vaccination
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »
I have not decided yet whether I will get one or not. I guess I will have to ask my new rhuemys thoughts on it, and go from there.

I haven't taken one for the past two years. Early this year I got a bad stomach flu. My regular gp said that is what it was. He said it just attacked my stomach instead of the other. It was terrible.l

susanep :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Luna

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
My son and I have been getting the flu vaccination ever sinse he was born. Last year I didn't get us in for it. My son got the flu twice that season. Poor kid.. It was awful. I didnt get it thank goodness. I heard that even with the vaccination you can still get the flu, but it is not as bad. We are going this thursday to get ours..

Luna

jmkboyer

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
I received a flu vaccination for 15 years straight.  Then last year, when I was trying to figure out why my body was breaking down, I didn't get one.  Sure enough I tested positive for influenza B.  It kicked my butt.  I agree with those who said it took almost a month to feel better.  So I'm back on the flu shot band wagon again.

But we all have our own stories, don't we?

MB

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
Ihave aboaut 5 autoimmune disease plus severe t-cell deficiency and I have been getting the attenutated or "dead" flu virus shot for about 20 years without any problem.

I am a person with a lot of allergies but this has not bothered me. I also had the pneumonia vaccine. It has to be your choice cause you have to live with the consequences either way. Irish ;D

Johnson

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
I am very pro vaccine unless you have a known allergy.

My uncle contracted Polio as a child & would give anyone here an earful who is against them.

That being said I would listen to your rheumy and not get your information from google on this one:)  (Not unless you are willing to actually read real research instead of people's opinions.)

I get all of mine.  While I do think it temporarily weakens my crummy immune system more, it is MORE important that someone with a weakened immune system has the most possible defenses against illness.

eyeamdry

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
My rheumy gives me a flu shot if I am at her office any time they begin to give them timewise.  Otherwise, my hubby and I will go to our GP or one of the nursing stations.  I have had the flu shot for many years now and I can't remember maybe only one time I got the flu during the "flu season."  It is a very individual decision. 

annken

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
i got it the day before yesterday and no reaction whatsoever, not even a sore arm!
ann

Nancy60

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
I get the flu shot every year and have since I started working as a PT in the mid 80's, no problem from it other than a little bit of a sore arm.  The one year I was out of work I didn't get one and was sick with cough, body aches, fever over 101 for almost 2 weeks and took another 4-5 weeks to fully recover.  I didn't have health insurance other than catastrophic illness at the time, so didn't go to the doctor, it was terrible, I have never been so sick as that.  I also started havign the joint pain, fatigue, skin rash issues not too long after that, always wondered if that illness triggered the autoimmune stuff in me. 

It is a personal decision and you need to do what is best for you.  You know how your body handles illnesses, etc... best.  Talk to your Rheumy to get their advice for you personally too.

Nancy

jazzlover

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »
I can't believe so many here are pro-vaccine. Do you guys know what is IN THAT SHOT!!? It's full of &^%%#!

Flu shot ingredients:

Vaccine Fillers and Ingredients

In addition to the viral and bacterial RNA or DNA that is part of the vaccines, vaccine fillers and ingredients include:

aluminum hydroxide
aluminum phosphate
ammonium sulfate
amphotericin B
animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,
dog kidney, monkey kidney,
chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg
calf (bovine) serum
betapropiolactone
fetal bovine serum
formaldehyde (EMBALMING FLUID)
formalin
gelatin
glycerol
human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
hydrolized gelatin
monosodium glutamate (MSG)
neomycin
neomycin sulfate
phenol red indicator
phenoxyethanol (ANTIFREEZE)
potassium diphosphate
potassium monophosphate
polymyxin B
polysorbate 20
polysorbate 80
porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein
residual MRC5 proteins
sorbitol
sucrose
thimerosal (MERCURY)
tri(n)butylphosphate,
VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells
washed sheep red blood cells
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:51:33 PM by jazzlover »
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

mshistory

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
Actually, only the multi-vial doses of flu shots contain thimerosal. Single dose vials and the flu mist do not contain thimerosal. Regardless, there is no evidence that it is harmful in such minute amounts. We breathe in so many more chemicals each day and eat so much more contaminated food products each day that I have never understood the concern over the tiny amounts of chemicals in vaccines (that save lives). JMO.
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

jazzlover

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 08:04:23 PM »
Isn't the flu mist the LIVE virus?

Having had Lyme disease, there is no way I will ever succumb to a vaccine unless forced. It could throw me right back into being sick again.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
Like I said, it is a personal choice. I know that these vaccines contain a lot of "junk" but the fact is they do help protect you. I had the Hong Kong flu when I was in Junior High and I don't remember much of 7 days. I ran a 104 fever for many days.

This is back when the doctors made house calls and my folks even called the doctor 2 times to come and see me. I think I got medication and a penicillin shot. I was never so sick in my life and it pretty much took a month or so to get over.

If I got a severe flu now with all these autoimmune stuff it would probably drop me in my tracks and hubby would be picking out a casket. Therefore,my choice is to get the vaccine. I was quite uneasy about it the first time but lived through it. They say that people can get Guillain B. from it, but you can also get the Guillain B. virus (French polio is another name for it) from many viral infections that you catch from others.

There is not the perfect answer to this question. We all have to do what we feel is best. This also includes the decisions that parents have to make about vaccinations these days. They are giving, what I feel, is way too many vaccinations to these little kids these days. Especially when they are so young.

My big problem is the fact that they quit doing the small pox vaccination. I wish they would rethink that one as I think it will come back to haunt the world. Too bad some scientist can't come up with a safer vaccination for that disease. Irish ;D

smallfry

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 11:20:48 PM »
I am a firm believer in the flu vax I have been having it for the past 15 years without any problems at all.

I have been told by a fellow sjogrens suffer that she only had very mild symptoms of sjogrens for quite a number of years until she had a very bad dose of flu, she feels that it made her condition considerably worse.

It was most likely just a coincidence.

For me I will continue with my flu shots yearly because the bugs every year appear to be getting worse.

Cheryl

buddybelle

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
I just got my flu vaccine today! I have multiple immune disorders and very low white blood cell count, but my doctors insist I get one every year. I have never had a negative reaction.
Everyone has to figure out their own risk vs. benefit ratio when deciding about vaccines and meds. The decisions are never easy!
Buddybelle

liv4ever

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
i fear vaccines with all the autism, I hopefully wont have another baby to have to deal with that all over again.  Very stressful to parents.  My kids had all their requires immunizations, but i no longer get them the flu vaccine..  My childern were the first diagnosed with the swine flu at their school a couple years ago, my husband also got it.  They were sick like a normal virus, lasted 4-7 days.  That seems normal for any virus to run its course.  I did not get it however, which confuses me, none of us got the shot for it or any flu...except my husband he is a firefighter, he has too.  And he cant be bothered with all the hype either,  he just does what he is told.  I am more skeptical.
I am on the fence.  sigh~