Author Topic: Prednisone side effects  (Read 3342 times)

Fairykissez

Prednisone side effects
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »
I hate to bother again, but this is the first time Ive had to take such a high dose of prednisone and wondered if what I am experincing is normal or should I call my dr.
Sweating
Muscles sore
Joint pain
Trouble sleeping or just relaxing in general

Please if you can tell me this is normal. I am on 60mgs for 5 days then taper down over the next 5days. Thanks so much.

Jen

Narablueeyes

Re: Prednisone side effects
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:13:05 AM »
I hate to bother again, but this is the first time Ive had to take such a high dose of prednisone and wondered if what I am experincing is normal or should I call my dr.
Sweating
Muscles sore
Joint pain
Trouble sleeping or just relaxing in general

Please if you can tell me this is normal. I am on 60mgs for 5 days then taper down over the next 5days. Thanks so much.

Jen

Check out this website showing the list of side effects.  Call your doctor if you think something's wrong.  Don't be afraid to! 

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-9383-PREDNISONE+-+ORAL.aspx?drugid=6007&drugname=prednisone+oral

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »
Jen, It sounds like you have Sjs.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 03:37:11 PM by Joe S. »
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Daisy1234

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
Hi Jen:

I'm also currently on a high dose of prednisone, in my case its 100mg per day.  I definitely have experienced sweating and significant insomnia while being on this drug.  Also, I go thru periods of manic behaviour where I find that I can't sit down and relax at all, its like neither my body nor mind will settle down. 

As for the muscle soreness, I haven't had any while I was on the higher doses of prednisone, but when I've tapered down from higher doses in the past, I did experience alot of soreness and dizziness.  I found that I needed to do a slower taper in that instance and doing so helped quite a bit to alleviate the soreness and dizziness.

If you've been put on a burst of 60mg of prednisone, it sure sounds like you are going thru some sort of flare, so I am certainly hoping that it is giving you some relief for whatever the issue is.

Hope this helps a wee bit,
Daisy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
Everyone is different when it comes to how they tolerate the Prednisone. The secret to tolerating it is to know your body. I was put on a burst and taper one time that started with the 60 mgm. After a couple days I was almost ready for the funny farm. Pacing, wringing hands, crying, agitated beyond belief. I called my doc and told me to get me off this med fast.

I have since learned to deal with it. When a burst and taper is needed they give only 30 mgm and taper down.I can take the 20 mgm for longer periods of time and do well. It does keep me awake more and it sures makes me eat more even on only the 10 mgm every day.

It still is a drug that can cause miracles in our health but we have to be able to work with the doc. If you don't do well on the high dose talk with your doc and learn to use the lower dosages when needed.

If something comes up that you need the really high dosage then the IV route for several days may be the way to go. It is supposed to be such a high dose and in such a short period of time that it works quite well. It causes the high dose issues, but It would be good if people would post and tell what they experienced on the high dose pulse as it is called.

I guess there is also the IV pulse prednisone along with the plaquenil and the cellcept or imuran, etc if a person needs to really slow that immune system down. irish ;D

Fairykissez

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:53 PM »
Ya Im in a flare, Im so new to all of this and I dont really know whats what yet. I had been put on 10mgs of prednisone in April before my dx cause I kept having weird allergic reactions. I hated it, made me mental. I couldnt sleep, I got horrible low sugars it was horrible. I really expected that to happen again but I seem to be tolerating the 60 mgs well. I slept good last night. I hope this burst and taper works for the pericarditis it is very painful.

One good thing about the prednisone is I feel like superwoman!!! I feel fantastic almost normal again. Why cant we have a medicine that works this good with no side effects???

Thank you all for responding.

Narablueeyes

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:07:58 PM »
Ya Im in a flare, Im so new to all of this and I dont really know whats what yet. I had been put on 10mgs of prednisone in April before my dx cause I kept having weird allergic reactions. I hated it, made me mental. I couldnt sleep, I got horrible low sugars it was horrible. I really expected that to happen again but I seem to be tolerating the 60 mgs well. I slept good last night. I hope this burst and taper works for the pericarditis it is very painful.

One good thing about the prednisone is I feel like superwoman!!! I feel fantastic almost normal again. Why cant we have a medicine that works this good with no side effects???

Thank you all for responding.

I have yet to have to go on prednisone.  Glad to hear you're tolerating it this time.  And good sleep is ALWAYS a good thing.  I'm still waiting for mine to hit tonight.  Pericarditis...that has got to be scary as heck!!  I truly hope you get over this ASAP! 

Patty

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
You need to be careful with that stuff. I didn't sleep at all on 60 mg of prednisone and acted fairly crazy. My friend had hallucinations on 60 mg. Now if I need to be on a high dose, my dr prescribes a sleeping pill for me which helps. Call your dr office and tell them the problems you are having.

deeindiana

• Deb Perry Studio: photography & graphic arts
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
I'm jealous of the people here who say they felt great on prednisone. My ENT put me on a "burst & taper" dose and I thought I'd die! My heart was pounding out of my chest, nightmares that bordered on hallucinations, horrible stomach pain, panic, etc. Never again! Don't be afraid to call your doctor if you don't feel "right".
Deb
Diagnosed June 2010.
Rheumy at University of Michigan Med Center. Age 62
Difficulty swallowing, fibromyalgia, burning mouth, GERD, anxiety, dry, dry, dry!
Medications: Atenolol, Dexilant, Plaquenil
I am my own worst enemy...

Fairykissez

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »
Those side effects were the first day abd since have subsided. The only thing that is bothering me is the stomache upset. I do feel good, and sad that in 6 days I have to give that up :(

mshistory

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 05:07:23 AM »
I may be one of the tiny percentage of people in the world who is actually allergic to prednisone... :o I was put on a SMALL dose, taper pack for sinus problems and broke out in a hot, itchy rash all over my arms (I thought I was sunburned at first...which was weird, because I hadn't been out in the sun much...) The next day, I woke up with a rash on my face and my whole body was itching pretty badly. Called the doctor who told me to stop taking it and to try Benadryl for the symptoms (which did help). My rheumatologist didn't believe me at first when I told him I had an allergic reaction to it, but when I described my symtpoms, he looked at me with a puzzled look and said "Are you really allergic to prednisone!?" Leave it me to be in the .1% of something  ::)
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:16 AM »
Jen, It sounds like you have Sjs.
Joe, leave it to you to inject a little needed humor into the situation!  Thanks for being YOU!   :D
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

bloodless

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
I agree with everyone else. If you feel bad, get the dosage reduced. I felt fabulous when I was put on prednisone. It's the best anti-inflammatory around. I was dancing when before I couldn't hold my head up. Any drug should help, not harm. Speak up right away when a drug isn't working for you.
I miss the good old days. Things were more like they used to be back then.

Sjogrens, Lupus, Fibro, GERD

nancylee

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
I hate prednisone. I am evil on it. I cry, scream, laugh, never sleep, jittery, sweaty, etc... Horrible stuff . I was on 120 mg a day for a long time...

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »
Most people will "fly" when they are on the higher dosages. I know I do and I can't take the high dosagaes at all. The 60 mgm put me into a manic phase of something and I had to ge tapered down fast to lower dosage of the prednisone.

People can have a full blown psychosis from the high dosages. The problem is that when the high dosages are given it is because it is a dire necessity. Be sure to talk with your doc about any of the psychiatrist side effects when you go on the higher dosages which I would consider to be 50-60 mgm or above. They can offer you meds to help you cope with the side effects,etc.

NObody takes prednisone for the fun of it. My friend with SJS and other issues says that she really has a clean house when she is on prednisone. I don't cause I am so anxiety ridden that I am pacing, wringing my hands and can't concentrate. We are all different.

We can call it a nasty drug, but it can save lives and does save many lives every year plus keeps a lot of people comfortable enough to be able to live a halfway normal life and maintain a job. Irish ;D