Author Topic: the flu vaccination  (Read 10358 times)

annken

the flu vaccination
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »
amidst fears of yet another pandemic we in ireland are advised to get the flu jab this winter.  it is supposed to be a dead virus jab but still i worry for my immune system.
i have at least four or five autoimmune diseases and i would hate the immune system to be naughty and do something bad to my my body if i get it!
what is the forums take on this one please.
xan

LizPetillo

Re: the flu vaccination
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:39:45 AM »
Some people swear by flu shots ... others swear at them.
I don't take them.  I don't trust big pharma.
But I'm a paranoid conspiracist ... so you have to take that into account.

gurs

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:55:04 AM »
I would never in a million years get any type of vaccine...i had problems as a child with them, and not so sure it didnt set off my autoimmune to begin with, just my thoughts though. I have trouble tolerating any type of medication etc as well..so not for me.

Gursie
52 years old.Primary SS, Lupus, Raynauds, POTS, Hormone issues from Hyster-menopause, systemic candida,osteoporosis,Gastroparesis, chronic neuropathy, migraines, sinus/dental issues. selective immune def/low t-cells.
Prednisone & medrol , plaquenil, diflucan, bio-estrogen creams,many supplements

mshistory

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:31:23 AM »
I'm a big believer in vaccines - we get our flu vaccines every year, and I'm also going to ask my rheumatologist about getting the pneumonia vaccine as well. I've never had an issue with a vaccine other than running a fever after getting the DTaP booster back in high school  :)
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 05:03:11 AM »
Annken,
Both my gp and my rheumy remind me to get a flu shot every year.  Except for bruising of the arm, I have no problems from it.  Actually catching the virus would likely keep me sick for weeks, so I think it's a good risk for me.  Have you asked your doctor's advice?
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

Jenny

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:04:06 AM »
A flu shot was a requirement of my Rheumatologist before she would prescribe Plaquenil.  She had her nurse give me one before I left with the prescription. I had no problems from it at all.
65 year old female with back, shoulder, neck and knee pain, dry mouth, losing teeth, dry sinuses,Blood test positive for Sjogrens. Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis .
Maloxicam, Lisinopril, Norco, misc.vitamins
4 discs in low back fused. Shoulder replaced 2015 & 2017 Need knee replaced.
4 hand surgeries

stephL

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:19:47 AM »
I'm a questioner and doubter when it comes to vaccines. The safety and effectiveness of vaccines has not been proven in healthy people. Vaccines fail to provide immunity for a certain percentage of people and a certain percentage have adverse reactions ranging from mild to disabling and they even cause some deaths. As far as I know, the safety and effectiveness of vaccines have not been studied at all in people with Sjogrens. And gurs, I too have wondered if vaccines could be a contributing factor in the development of autoimmune disease. Bottom line is that I don't want to take the risk of having my immune system being stimulated. I think that the goal of medical researchers should be to find better treatments for infection, instead of tinkering around with the immune systems of healthy people. Sorry for the rant! :D
"Unlike weakness, fatigue can be alleviated by periods of rest." -Wikipedia: Fatigue (medical)

Jellyb

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:46:04 AM »
Hi Annken,
I am yet another that has a problem with the flu vaccine.
It was discovered that I am allergic to thimerosol which is a mercury based preservative in the seasonal flu vaccine ( not in the flu mist ) and I am also allergic to eggs. But even if I did not have those allergies I still would not take it. I am just to sensitive.

susan

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:12:27 AM »

I started taking the flu vaccine when I was in nursing school & with the exception of one year, have not stopped.
The one year I skipped, I managed to contract influenza, and was ill with the usual symptoms---high fever, pain, weakness, etc. Took about a month to feel "normal".  So, went back to it & continue it.
Some feel that for those on immunosuppressive meds, the vaccine may be less effective.

Like everything else with autoimmune disease, we have to do what is best for ourselves.
Sjogrens, Stills disease, Acromegaly, Interstitial cystitis

Plaquenil, Prednisone, Octreotide injectable, Crestor, Xanax

Carebear

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »
I get vaccinated every year...have been since I began working for the school board over a decade ago.  As Cheryl said, I want to reduce my risk of becoming seriously ill from the flu.

But it is an individual decision.  And we are certainly used to making those routinely aren't we?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:22:52 AM by Carebear »
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
I've taken the vaccine every year since being required to when I worked in a nursing home.

I flare out of control with a simple cold --- I can't imagine what I would do with the flu!   :P
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Patze

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »
I just started getting the flu and pneumonia shots last year, and will keep getting them if it means not having to deal with either of them this year. 

Good luck in your decision -

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

lillibelle

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »

I'm like Gursie & Jellyb.  Had one vaccine when I was about nine years old and could not move my arm for a week but it left no permanent problem.  Then, had the flu shot 16 years ago, again could not move my arm for about one week but, this time, was left with some permanent nerve pain.

My brother had GBS as a teenager and has been advised to never receive the flu vaccine.  Think it set off a similar chemical cascade of inflammation in my body.  (I've also had Bell's Palsy twice ~ thankfully no permanent problems.)  My other siblings do receive it and have had no adverse reactions from it.  SInce the episode 16 years ago, my children have not received the flu vaccine.  It is a tough call. 

As a school teacher, I was very worried when some states sought to make this vaccination mandatory.

Peace,
Lilli

jazzlover

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
NO WAY, JAKE!! Won't do it.
Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS), Salicylate Sensitivity,  Interstitial Cystitis,  gluten intolerance, Raynaud's, Sjogren's, A-fib; cytomegalovirus, recovered from Lyme disease

Pisces24

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
All my doctors want me to get the flu shot. I have to be sure to get the "dead" one though - not the live virus one.

Not sure how much good it will do.  Had it one year and a couple months later got the flu. But maybe if I didn't have it, it would have been worse? And I don't think I make very many antibodies. I remember taking some test where "normal" folks made 14 antibodies. I make TWO.  But durn those two are working their tails off.  ;D ;)

I work for a large corporation and usually (this yr too) they have a flu shot clinic set up for us at work on the 5th floor. It is free to us and I think $15 if we want a spouse to get it. So it is nice they are doing this as they have a very strict unscheduled time off (like when you are sick) policy. That is why I have the FMLA.