Author Topic: It's been the best of days, it's been the worst of days...  (Read 2761 times)

12lovehim

It's been the best of days, it's been the worst of days...
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »
Hello Sjogrens Family...
      So with a bit of a wind storm last month we lost our 20X16 barn.. It was floating on a 45 degree angle... So my hubby took off last week all the boys were home and it was the week prior to the new school semester.. So we were on a time line to unload and dismantel the old barn before winter.. And of course I was the only person who knew what everything in the barn was and where we were going to put it..

So armed with a big hat, lots of sunscreen and pred & pain killers... I ventured into the unknown outdoors for longer than a hour all summer.. Day 1. started at 6am breakfast, and excited men tossing my keepsakes from the second story rigged ladders.. by lunch my hands were swollen, by dinner I couldn't walk.. by 8pm I was passed out.. not to the enjoyment of my still night shift scheduled hubby..
Day 2. breakfast.. the most amazing sight as a mother...  the laughter started.. The boys found their old football uniforms mom saved.. The day of stories and memories started.. I would catch my hubby looking at me smiling from my umbrella covered chair and we shared that special smile of an old married couple enjoying our family.. so what do I do to make the moment last.. pop another pred and pain killer.. as the walls of the old barn came falling down..

There is something so amazing seeing the pride in the eyes of my merry men destroying a 50 year old barn.. (oh out side of my moment of shear terror as I thought my youngest had been right where the first wall had just fell  :o  )  But I will say... WHAT WAS I THINKING... I had to be carried back to the house that day.. I couldn't even walk.. What's up with our feet swelling.. by just standing on them..

Day 3, 4, 5, 6.. pred, painkillers.. Ugg.. I am just dead on my feet.. 

Well our project for the week took a left turn and instead of purging and rebuilding a shed for feed, my men used the old wood and built a series of decks that took up about a quarter of an ac. Our back forty looks like were hoarders.. and I think I will be in bed all week.. But to see all the smiles, & my grandson (who's 2) build a really bad bird house and learn to use a level, and hear the hidden stories of your son's youth was so worth it..

So as the tag line says.. It's been the best of days and the worst of days.. I have never hurt so bad out side of a flair.. and well I just might have sent myself into one.. but... I will never forget the laughter.. never ever....

I have also learned.. If I have to clean it.. I don't want it anymore.. I just can't keep up with it all anymore.. I know my hubby and I had such dreams for our property and mini-farm house.. I just can't "can" my food anymore or sew like I used too or even garden.. I only planted 1/4 of my gardens this year and could hardly keep them weeded.. Oh how our dreams change.. I used to see our place with church parties and sharing some land for comunity gardens for friends.. Now I just want to be alone..

Well.. before I loose my great attitude about my last week.. I just wanted to share with everyone a good day sorta with SJS... and don't be surprised if I write about being in a state of panic as I realized that.. the boys are off to school all day, my hubby was informed that they are building a new section of building at work so "overtime and 7 day 1 off schedule" starts tomorrow for 6 mo... and I still have all our stuff exposed in the elements.. ( I actually thought I could do so much of this myself..) NOT!!!

blessings to you all. Keri

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Re: It's been the best of days, it's been the worst of days...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:31:10 AM »
Girlfriend!  Just listen to you!  You've been such a wonderful blessing to me, and this post is like honey in my mouth --- I'm so proud of how you handled this potentially devistating time!  I love the way you've taken something that could have been scary and depressing and negative, and you've made it safe and warm and full of love and fond memories.  You even made more fond memories!

Thanks for making me smile this morning.

Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Katybarstool

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »
Keri

What an amazing day - and week. You must feel such a sense of achievement, and having all your boys around is the icing on the cake. Try not to think of the next 6 months - just relax and recover.

Hugs
Kathyx

season

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »
Keri, thanks for sharing your wonderful story with us. I think you are a very strong person.

I think we all have priorities and things that we want to achieve in this lifetime but alas they seem to change as we get older and our pain makes our decisions for us.

newhorizons

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 05:33:19 PM »
Keri, How precious are memories?  I am sure yours are enough to last you through the next six months.  Oh, to smell the roses in memories... in one's mind's eye!! ;)

12lovehim

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:53:41 PM »
Well so glad you all enjoyed my tell of braving the elements, tackling the Giant (barn  ;D ) and taking the lemons and making lemonaide  :P ....

I have although been stuck in the bed for a couple of days.. I really pushed myself and used up a couple of days of energy..

I have gathered the "I haven't signed up for school & don't have a job" teens from church and intend to keep them gainfully employed till I run out of funds.. (so I will need to be brave for a few more days).. Hopefully I can create some new memories all while sitting upon my sun-shaded chair... I so love the broken youth of today.. There are some awesome words of encouragement I can give.. ( and maybe next semester we will have some new students.. )

So all my love and Blessings to you all.. Keri..