Author Topic: Date Set for Knee Replacement  (Read 1781 times)

eyeamdry

Date Set for Knee Replacement
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Hi everyone-
Today I got most of the details down in writing pertaining to my knee replacement on my left knee.  The operation will be a total knee replacement and it will be done on Nov. 2.  I had my other knee done with a partial replacement about 8 years ago.  It has been loose for some time and will eventually have to be re-done with a full knee replacement.

Knowing the ropes is both good and bad.  I will have the same surgeon I had before.  I like him a lot and he is very experienced and still fairly young.  I hate to get a new dr who is near retirement age.  This dr practices in Grand Rapids, a city about 50 miles away.  I do not like the hospital where I will have to be.  I weighed my decision and decided I wanted this doc and will have to settle for his hospital. No, he doesn't practice in any other setting.  I've already asked.

Funny how much there is to do prior to this surgery.  Many dr appts etc.  Well, actually that is nothing out of the ordinary anyhow. That's how we live our lives anyhow.  My hubby will be here to take good care of me.  I will be a little nutso for the next couple of weeks.  This is no picnic, as you are up that day or the next.  They have you on PT that next day.  Up and at em.  The PT is hard but very important.  I had a mean woman before and she wouldn't let me whine. 

Well, just wanted to put this down so I can get some sympathy---lol.  Actually, it's good info because there are probably others who will be having this done.  Lucy

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: Date Set for Knee Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »
Hi  :)

Good luck with this Lucy. You know it will be worth it! I know it hurts a lot at the time though! The worst is working through the physio - but it pays off.

I still just have the partial but my other knee is beginning to play up a bit. Still - no canes at present which is soooo much better than 2006 when I had the partial!

You have my sympathy but I know you are doing the right thing!

take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
While I have not had the surgery, Jan just had both knees replaced and I have been taking care of her.

My first recommendation is that you go to a good nursing home for a week or 10 days after the surgery. The difference between those that go to the nursing home for additional surgery and those that go home is night and day.

Do not short yourself on pain medication in the first 6 weeks of your recovery.

Watch for signs of infection. That can really slow your recovery down.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

eyeamdry

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Joe-I don't think I have the option of going to a nursing home afterward.  I know that I am able to have PT for 6 weeks or so outside.  It might be if both knees are done you can go to a nursing home.  I'll be asking the dr my options, but I don't know if I really want to go to a nursing home.  Lucy

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
The home where Jan went had a special floor dedicated to ortho.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »
Lucy, Well, what can I say. If it needs to be done, it needs to be done. I hope that you are up and running before Christmas.

Just out of curiosity is the hospital BL in Grand Rapids or BU??? Our middle son hemmorrhaged post tonsillectomy back in 1975 when we lived in Hastings and we had to go to BU for the surgery (I hated it) and then for the bleed it was BL which was a vast improvement. Just wondering if some things never change???

I know that sometimes a person can go to a nursing home for a week or two post op in order to gain strength and get the PT. I am wondering if you are covered under Medicare. If you go home and have to go into the nursing home 3 days later you might not be covered, but if it is a direct admit from the hospital to the nursing home there should be number of days that are covered.

The fact that you have a bad "other knee" may add some fuel to this necessity. You may need more intense rehab because of the bad knee that won't do so well with the weight bearing. Please talk to the social services department at the hospital to find out just what is required. This is something you will want to have taken care of prior to surgery and not have to figure out later if need be. Good luck. Irish ;D

Chickpea

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 04:15:58 AM »
Hi Lucy

It's good to have a date and know you've got something to work towards.  You've been through so much over the years that it must feel hard to endure one more thing, but this surgery should improve your daily life.

I'd echo the others and say get all the care you can, and definitely don't skimp on the pain meds!

Just one more thought - have you got Christmas planned?  I know it's only August (!) but you don't want to be shopping in late November or early December so soon after surgery.  And can someone else in the family do the cooking?!

Take care - Chickpea

Carolina

• —if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne R.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 05:32:55 AM »
Dear Lucy,

I will follow this with great interest as my knees are beginning to 'go'.

My orthopedist told me "I'll see you next to do a knee replacement", the last time I saw him.

That was like a huge blow to my midsection. 

My biggest fear is that I am allergic to all the major pain medications, so I can't imagine how the pain can be managed.

I was sent home from knee surgery (arthroscopic) with Tylenol last year!   This replacement surgery has to be so much worse!

I thing that is making me craziest these days is that things don't get 'all well' after the surgery, NOT back to normal.

My knee is still very painful over a year after the surgery.   

Oh dear, I can feel that I'm feeling sorry for myself!

I wish you courage and some form of peace while you go through this. 

Keep us posted on every detail.

Hugs

Elaine
Female-Elaine,78-CVID-pSJS-IC-PN-CAD-Osteoarth-SFN-Knee/Shoulder Degeneration-SIBO-Act.Purpura-Tinitus-Meniere's-Hiatal Hernia-Achalasia-Hand Surgeries, UTI's-Braces/Walker-IVIG Gamunex-Medrol-Gabapentin-Atenolol-Pilocarpine-LDN-Nasonex-Lipitor-Estrogel-D-Mannose-NAC-Omega 3-Naltrexone-Esomeprazol