Author Topic: Complications from Sjogrens or Meds  (Read 2150 times)

12lovehim

Complications from Sjogrens or Meds
« on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
Hello I have a question for everyone..
For the sake of the question I am on Topamax, amatiza, kenalog shots, relplax (as needed) (outside of eye drops and bioteen mouth stuff for dry mouth)
Recently I experienced a high level of anxiety. Everyone has daily stress and even with the pain and issues mine is getting harder to handle with grace every day. The best way to describe it is I wish to cry. Random bouts from out of the blue of crying..

On top of that I woke up today after yesterday being a rather out of character ?tearful day? to find the ?left side? of my body covered in Black Bruising. The bruising is painful not just there but lumpy swollen black/purple. On my right leg it goes from hip to mid calf.

Incase you are wondering.. Yes I called my Dr. She ordered lab tests and has me watching for bleeding from anywhere else.

Can any of the above drugs that you may have experienced cause bruising or melancholy? 

Thank you,  Kerri

Carebear

Re: Complications from Sjogrens or Meds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »
Hi Kerri,

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so blue, and experiencing such nasty bruising.   I quickly checked for side effects for the medications you mentioned.  Topamax can cause mood changes, anxiety and depression, as well as unusual bruising or bleeding.    Prolonged use of Kenalog may also result in unusual bruising and mood changes.

Then again, these can both be yet another gift from our friend Sjogren's, unfortunately.  I'm leaning towards the Topamax, but then again I'm not a doctor.

I'm glad you are having tests.  Hopefully the results will be swift, conclusive...and not serious.  Take care.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:40:10 PM by Carebear »
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Meld256

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:42:40 PM »
Hi Kerri,

I'm sorry that I don't have much info. about the meds you're on and side effects they can cause.  Perhaps someone will come along with some answers for you.

I can say that I'm glad you checked with your doctor, and are having the bruising looked at.  I'd suggest that you also tell them how melancholy you're feeling, too. If I remember correctly, you're also newly diagnosed, is that right?  It's very common to feel "blue" and somewhat depressed just after a diagnosis like this.  Something that can be part of the process to adjust to "a new you" if you will. 
I'm not assuming that you are having a difficult time in adjusting, just wanted you to be aware that it can happen, and it's pretty normal.  We all go through a grieving process of our "old selves" and it's not fun but it's necessary to move forward and see how our lives can still be good and blessed.  Just some thoughts...

Please update us about the lab tests, ok?
Take care,
Melinda

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:15:56 AM »
Call your doctor for an appointment to figure out the bruising and let us know what it is.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

sis

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »
How long have u been on Topomax?

The 1st 6 months on it I was an emotional mess!
Things leveled out after that.  I did start an antidepressant about 4 months in.

Hope u figure something our soon.

12lovehim

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
Every one.. I am so thankful for your posts.. I had figured out the brain fog and worked around that, exhaustion worked around that, retired Army so I can work through the pain... But not a member of my family knew what to with... Ok if you all have a funny bone anywhere I need you to picture....
           Drill SGT Mamma who has been able to take in her entire family after they have lost their homes due to this economy. I live in a 1100 2 bed  2 bath home on 2ac with a once basement laundry room (that I converted into a bed and dresser nook, that put my laundry outside now). Now because I have been able to focus the family, I had chore lists, laundry lists, cooking lists, grocery lists, all to keep 6 adults and 2 grand children from fighting and me still loveing my daughter-inlaw  ;)

So when I got sick everyone knew Mom was never sick more than a few days.. Then people thought "change of life".. My sons started fighting with each other "better do what mom says or I'll"...  and now the woman who has been really acting like her former Drill Sgt self keeping the smooth running operation is now walking around crying and the entire house is blaming each other.. And my sons actually had a sit down with my hubby and told him if he made me cry again they were going to need to step in.. This is such a mess to me..
My mother always told me that tragedy X time = Humor............  Some day this will be a really good story...