Author Topic: Item on the MSNBC website today.  (Read 1410 times)

A66eyroad

• Be kind to yourself today!
Item on the MSNBC website today.
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
Sadly, this was on the MSNBC website today:  http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44011025/ns/today-today_health/
Female, 61
Sjogrens, UCTD, and subacute cutaneous lupus. Flu-like symptoms, mouth & nasal ulcers, itchy rash, high cholesterol, headache, earache, tinnitis, dizziness. Hangover-like nausea, especially in the a.m.
Plaquenil, Atabrine, DHEA, Aleve, Evoxac, Allegra/Benedryl, esomeprazole.

Ohiocat

Re: Item on the MSNBC website today.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
i was actually happy to see that article on MSNBC - 

I am hoping that if more people read about it, that maybe they would WAKE up.  Wake up to the fact that just because someone is losing weight - it does not mean they are healthy.  (sometimes I wonder what it really takes to get people to pay attention to what is really important!)

The fact that so many people seem to get the "but you look so good" line is really sad.  But I am hopeful that the more attention something like this gets, the better things might get in the future.
female 50+, no thyroid - levthyroxin 125mcg; Primary Sjogrens:  Dry mouth; Dry eyes-thera tears, Restasis twice daily;

Meld256

Re: Item on the MSNBC website today.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:54:40 PM »
My first reaction to this was "What is WRONG with people?" 

But, as the psychologist wrote, many people say something inappropriate when seeing someone ill.  And some people are just shallow and "clueless."

I had an uncle very much like that (my Dad's younger brother).  The only things I remember growing up about the man was that he was all about showing off his newest house, newest car, and criticizing anyone who was not either 1) as wealthy as him, 2) as thin as him, 3) as well educated as him, or 4) looked anything different than what he perceived as attractive.  Arrgghh! 

Ohiocat, after reading your post, I realized you have a good way of looking at this. Maybe this kind of article will bring to the forefront the fact that people can be so obsessed with how we look, and never think about the fact someone may be ill!  The other side of this is that someone would actually think someone so terribly thin "looks so good."  What a twisted society in which we live...