Author Topic: Small red bumps all over legs?  (Read 21345 times)

mshistory

Small red bumps all over legs?
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:52:29 AM »
Does anyone know what these could be? They look like small, red pimples (without the white head) and tend to come and go throughout the day it seems. At times, my legs itch, but more often, they don't hurt or itch. Sometimes at night, my legs are covered in them. It almost looks like bad razor burn (it's not... though it probably should be  8) )

I know it's not keratosis pilaris or eczema because I'm familiar with both of those skin conditions. Neither my rheumatologist or the dermatologist gave me any sort of dx - the dermatologist just gave me triam for when I have itchy rashes  :-\ Sometimes, my legs break out in so many red bumps, even my husband has commented on it.

I'm avoiding shorts and skirts now despite the ridiculously hot weather because of it. Any info or ideas would be appreciated!
SLE and SjS with PN. ANA >1:1280 speckled,
SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

olmphoto2

Re: Small red bumps all over legs?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:02:52 AM »
I have them, they are constantly here, have been for years, do not itch.  I'm sorry, I don't know what they are and derm and rheumy docs never seem to give them a second look what with other concerns it seems.  My personal intuition for a long time has been, for what it may be worth, is that it is Sjogren's related.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

lolo1979

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:12:43 AM »
hmm...well in general I have more sensitive skin than everyone else i know, and i do get weird rashes from time to time, place to place.  I agree with olmphot2 that it's probably just your immune system acting up.  But, I do remember you recently started Imuran, so in your case, it might be worth seeing if that is a possible side effect of the medication? 

mshistory

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »
Hi lolo, I've had this ongoing for a while - long before starting Imuran. If anything, I think it's gotten a little better since starting Imuran, which is why I think it might be AI related...?

I'm not sure this will work, and if it does, please forgive the unsightly picture... but this is a picture I took to show my rheumy my red, swollen joints and a lot of my thigh was covered with these small red bumps too.

SS-A >8.0, RF positive. Botox for migraines, Clonazepam, Zoloft, Imitrex for migraines, CellCept 1000 mg, Plaquenil 200 mg, Restasis, Zofran for nausea, Gabapentin, Evoxac and Norco for pain.

olmphoto2

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:27:49 AM »
This does look like it might be a drug reaction, it looks red and swollen all in thhis area, in addition to the red bumps.
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push." 
          Ludwig Wittgenstein

mshistory

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »
I was only on Plaquenil when I took that picture (well, and Zoloft and clonazepam) and it's definitely not the latter two. I'm no longer on Plaquenil and the bumps continue. The red, swollen joint is from my AI disease. It happens to my knees and fingers when I flare up.

olmphoto2

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:21 AM »
Is the below the knee area affected also?
Mary Ann in Wisconsin

Ludwig Wittgenstein

mshistory

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
I get more scattered red bumps below the knee. It's definitely worse on the thighs. Before starting Imuran, I also got this strange "rash" on my stomach/abdomen. It looks like German measles in real-life, and at times is a bit more checkerboard, lattice-like. I have no idea if all of these rashes are connected. Both doctors just threw more medications at me without telling me what they heck they were (if they had a clue!) ::sigh::

And this thing on my chest...

Both of these have gotten better since starting Imuran and neither ever hurt or itch.

lolo1979

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
This is exactly what my skin looks like sometimes when I get out of a hot shower, or when I scratch an itch.  It turns bright red and sort of bumpy.  I wonder if it is heat related?  Does it seem like anything particular provokes it? In other words, does it look like this on its own, or do you have to itch it or touch it somehow for it to appear?  Does it seem like it could be a case of hives?

I've had a lot of instances of hives since my AI stuff began.  They are always provoked by heat for me, and they look a lot like this.  You can really barely tell they're hives because the bumps are very tiny.  In general, heat seems to trigger this type of red, rashy skin reaction for me. Sometimes it goes away quickly after the heat is gone, and sometimes it turns into a tiny hive-like rash that itches.

The other thing that pops into my mind though is mild vasculitis...?  It seems from your post that it's "unprovoked" for you, and it's on your leg, where I think vasculitis often shows up.  However, I don't know a ton about vasculitis, so I could be totally off here.   Either way, I think it's great you took this pic so you can show your rheumy and dermatalogist.

No matter what, it does NOT look so bad that you should make yourself suffer through this heat wearing pants!! Wear the shorts! Your poor overheated body will thank you for it! :)

mshistory

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 07:58:15 AM »
ha!! Of course, if I wanted to start wearing shorts and skirts regularly, I'd have to start shaving regularly...  ;D

None of these rashes are heat related. The bumps on my legs do seem to get worse in the evenings or when I've been on my feet a lot... I wonder if there's a connection? I don't know anything about vasculitis either!

The abdomen and chest ... I don't know that there has ever been a pattern... I can't remember. I do think the chest rash is photosensitive though, so maybe heat sensitive too?

Thanks so much for your thoughts and responses!!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 05:33:45 AM by mshistory »

Ali-Cares

• Ali
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »
I also have this on my knees and thighs.  My rheumy doesn't know what it is from.  It has been this way for several years but doesn't hurt. It seemed to appear around the time I was diagnosed.
Ali

mshistory

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:25 AM »
Thank you, Ali - I do suspect it's AI related since this is new for me too.