Author Topic: Dr. Alessio Fasano's Research W/ Precursor Haptoglobin II.  (Read 1863 times)

Woolygimp

Dr. Fasano is responsible for the team that discovered an an unidentified molecule named zonulin, later discovered to be the precursor to haptoglobin II.  Dr. Fasano believes that the gluten/zonulin relationship is the basis for inflammation and possibly cause a great majority of autoimmunity even in people without Celiac Disease. It's his view that even those without Celiac Disease act adversely to gliadin (gluten) due to over 80% of the world's population producing zonulin.

His recent study which is quite encompassing may interest you, even if you don't have Celiac Disease.  This isn't a fringe Dr. as he's regarded as one of the top experts in the field and is responsible for several breakthroughs with the disease in the last decade.

Here's a link to the entire study and report.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53849203/1445-Zonulin-and-Its-Regulation-of-Intestinal-Barrier-Function-Physiol-Rev-2011

He explains everything from the origin of pHP2  (India c. 2,000,000BC) to it's role in chronic autoimmunity.  Keep in mind that this is the team that was able to successfully induce diabetes in rats by doing nothing more than increasing intestinal permeability.

A group of four highly expressed protein spots was observed in all anky-losing spondylitis patients? profiles and subsequentlyidentified as isoforms of HP by ESI-Q-TOF MS/MS (95).Increased expression of HP was also observed in sera of sporadic ankylosing spondylitis patients. Moreover, bioin-formatics analysis revealed epitopes derived from HPwith high-affinity binding to HLA-B(*)2705, a primary sub-type associated with ankylosing spondylitis. Based on their results, the authors speculated that HP may be in- volved in the pathogenesis of ankylosing spondylitis.  More recently, Li et al. (94) obtained similar results by analyzing sera from rheumatoid arthritis patients.

"While apes, monkeys and chimpanzees do not have haptoglobin 2, 80
percent of human beings have it," says Dr. Fasano. "Apes, monkeys and
chimpanzees rarely develop autoimmune disorders. Human beings suffer
from more than 70 different kinds of such conditions. We believe the
presence of this pre-haptoglobin 2 is responsible for this difference
between species."

Here's another link with a breakdown of the important parts of the study if you find the first too technical.  Although this author does put his own personal twist on the results claiming that he believes that there is another factor in the production of zonulin according to the data that presented.  He does have some nice graphs though.  

I think it's worth reading the study or the data presented here just because he conveys it well.

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/2011/04/what-no-one-is-saying-about-zonulin-is.html

Remarkably, they found that celiacs produce 30 times as much zonulin as non-celiacs, even though the non-celiacs were not eating gluten-free diets while the celiacs had been off gluten for over two years!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:47:55 PM by Woolygimp »

Budgie

Re: Dr. Alessio Fasano's Research W/ Precursor Haptoglobin II.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
Wow I'm a coeliac and maybe zonulin is why I still have gut problems even though my diet is gluten free? 

I have a theory about Sjogren's causing gut problems such as coeliac disease.  It all comes back to lack of fluids or lack of good quality fluids.  Because my gut isn't secreting adequate amounts of the right fluids it's more vulnerable. 

Interesting that this research says it's the mucosal layer that is the source of the problem which ties in very nicely with lack of good fluid secretion.

Thank you for posting this research.

Jellyb

Re: Dr. Alessio Fasano's Research W/ Precursor Haptoglobin II.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:31:13 AM »
Very interesting, thank you for posting this:-)
Been gluten free since Feb. And feeling much better.