Author Topic: Schirmer's Eye Exam  (Read 4632 times)

Shade

Re: Schirmer's Eye Exam
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »
Oh yes, I forgot to mention.

Dr. also said to start taking Omega 3 oil to help with lubrication in my eyes.
Sjogren's dx 2011, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Esophagitis, Depression, Anxiety, SFN, OAB, Asthma, Obstructive Breathing
Gabapentin, D3, Omega 3, B12 , Nexium, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Restasis, Evoxac, Meloxicam, Nuvigil, Plaquenil, VESIcare, Dulera, Montelukast, Spiriva

eyeamdry

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »
Sounds like a splendid doc to me.  Good luck and I hope he's a keeper.  Lucy

Shade

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »
Thanks Lucy,

I think he is!
Sjogren's dx 2011, Fibro, Osteoarthritis, Esophagitis, Depression, Anxiety, SFN, OAB, Asthma, Obstructive Breathing
Gabapentin, D3, Omega 3, B12 , Nexium, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Trazodone, Restasis, Evoxac, Meloxicam, Nuvigil, Plaquenil, VESIcare, Dulera, Montelukast, Spiriva

buddybelle

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
I was confused when I was told I have dry eyes. I had all of the symptoms ( dry and scratchy - always feeling like something was in my eye) BUT my eyes would often produce a lot of tears. The first time I had the Shirmer's test I produced 10mm in 3 minute. Then the doctor put numbing drops in and repeated the test. I had virtually no tears.

My eyes were producing reflex tears, not the proper tears to keep my eyes lubricated. Further staining and slit lamp testing revealed that the composition of my tears was the problem and that I have developed keratitis in both eyes.

I am findind that there is much to learn about this SJS!

Shade

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »
Hi Buddybelle,

I just read up on reflex tears.  I had no idea there were 2 types of tears, basal and reflex.  Who would think that eyes that watered all the time could be severely dry?

Excuse my ignorance, can anything be done to cure the keratitis?

Shade  :)

Julie T

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
Shade,

Great news to hear!  Hiphip hurray!  ;D

Shade

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
Thank you Julie.  It's good that at least once and awhile we get some good news about our health.

buddybelle

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
Shade:
It is great that you researched the topic of tears. I bet a lot of people on this site will benefit from our discussion. The rheumatologist told me I had sufficient tears, but the opthamologist explained the difference in the type of tears.

In answer to your question - Hopefully the Restasis will help prevent further damage to the surface of my eyes. I am inclined to think that the damage that has already occurred will not reverse.

My optho said that dry eyes are nothing to mess and without proper treatment, sight can be impaired or lost.

I am new to SJS and am finding this forum very helpful.

Buddybelle

Shade

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
Hi Buddybelle,

I hope the Restasis helps you.  I started Restasis this morning.  Looking forward to not having continual dry eyes.

You are right.  This forum is filled with lots of useful information and a great bunch of people willing to help.

Take care,

Shade