Author Topic: YIKES! Parotid?  (Read 1559 times)

CAT1962

YIKES! Parotid?
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:07 AM »
I woke up in the middle of the night with some weird pain that I really couldn't locate (maybe sleepy). This morning when I got up, I felt around My face, cheek area and it is where the "puffier" part is on the side of my cheek next to my ear. I messaged it and it hasn't bothered me anymore. Is that the parotid? I don't mean to sound like a DOLT (silly word!) but was wondering if anyone has had this.

I started my Plaquenil almost  3 weeks ago.

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: YIKES! Parotid?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
:) You did not wear your polar fleece mumps scarf to bed, did you? :) Most of us run into problems from our glands from time to time.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

Jellyb

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »
Also keep a food diary if you can, I have found certain foods can trigger my glands to swell.

Cricket

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
Going through a flare withthe gland.  12 days ago went to urgent care and got Levaquin 750 mg. but the last few days it is hurting pretty bad, doing massage and heat.  Tonight it is HOT and red.  Got an ENT appt for Thursday.

Jellyb - what sort of foods trigger it for you?
Female 64 yrs. old with:~Lymphoma ~SJS~, Fibro, Neuropathy, Spinal  Stenosis, Degenerative Discs, Shingles Arthritis, Hypo-thyroid.
Rituxan, Synthroid, Lopressor, Vasotec, Zantac, Zyrtec, evoxac, Lexapro, Neurotin, Ambien, Zanaflex, Voltarm, Vicodin, fish oil, Centrum vit.,  CoQ10, vit. D, Miralax

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
I will repeat... Polar Fleece mumps scarf may be called for.
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche

eyeamdry

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »
Joe, since you posted your picture, I pay attention to your questions and answers.  Most often they make me laugh.  "Your polar fleece mumps scarf" is hilarious and brings visual images to my mind.  To add to that, the old trapper's hats with the fur in the front and the big ear flaps are now popular with everyone now.  So keep mentioning the ear flaps, mumps scarf, trapper's hats etc.  I can remember on the farm when I was little, my dad and all the men wore those hats when they worked outside in the winter.  :D :D

sass

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »
oh, you should really see my parotid.  If I could figure out how to load a picture I would post my tennis ball in my cheek! Painful and uncomfortable.  There just are no words!! Really!!  Hot compresses do help. heating pad too.  -sass-

Joe S.

• Chakra Force
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:22 AM »
Lucy, I started to wear this looped scarf to bed at night and the number of infections seem to be down. The number of mornings that I wake with pain in my glands is definitely down.

If you are not at war with this disease, you are planning on letting it win. I plan on fighting with everything and anything that might work. (all is fair) Try everything that may help. If it looks silly or weird, I can deal with that if it helps me to feel better. Obviously modern medicine does not have a cure. We are put on Immune suppressants and chemo therapy to try suppress symptoms. Some of us experience severe and deadly side effects from these treatments. If we want to survive we have to find other management options.

I am very glad that you are doing so well with MTX and Plaq.

Meld256

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:18 AM »
That's not a silly question at all, Cat.  I didn't know where my partoid glands were til they one side swelled up from infection last fall (which gave more weight to my diagnosis and SSDI case, as it turned out).

But yes, that little corner area right in front of your ear and at the corner of your jaw is where the partoid gland is located. It's fairly large and we sjoggies seems to have a great chance of them swelling and infecting.  Glad yours is better now that you massaged; smart lady!  ;)  p.s. So glad you're doing well with the Plaquenil.
Take care,
Melinda

CAT1962

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
Well, thank you, all! I have had it before, but before my diagnosis. That's why I suspected. I don't think I could sleep ina  scarf, Joe. My cannula has already gone bye bye... :-\ I DO find that when I pull the quilt up over my ears it helps.

;)