Author Topic: 1 Week Challenge - begins 3/14  (Read 3979 times)

Bucky

• Global Moderator
1 Week Challenge - begins 3/14
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »
Hi   ;D

Starting Monday, March 14th - there will be a 1-week challenge for those who wish to participate.

I'm doing this mostly for me, but perhaps others would find this beneficial too.

I spend waaaay too much time on the computer.  There are things I could and should be doing that I keep putting off.  The challenge for this 1 week is this:  ONLY 1 hr. of computer time per day for a week.  If you use your computer for your job, of course, you can't limit your computer time to an hour - I'm talking about the time you spend in the evening or if you don't work and spend a lot of time on-line.

If you want, then you can report back and let us know what you did instead of spending the time on the computer.  Perhaps you went for a walk, did some volunteer work, read a book, started some spring cleaning, exercised - the list is endless.

You can spend your one hour all at one sitting, or break it up any way you want to equal one hour.

I have two exceptions for myself.  Since I am on staff at Sjogren's World, I have to attend a staff meeting on Monday and Sunday night chat as co-host.  So, I don't get to count those two times as my one hour on-line.  Other than that - ONLY 1 hr. a day for a week.

Good Luck.   ;D

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
Re: 1 Week Challenge - begins 3/14
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
Hi Bucky!  :)

I don't think I can do that. I do prep in the evening and keep in touch with my kids and of course look at Sjogren's world too. I like typing to my kids rather than talking as being a bit deaf I don't like phones much.

I'll try to cut down but evaluating the session after work takes at least half an hour a day!

Take care - and good luck everyone with this one!   Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »
Oh boy . . . this is a tough challenge!!!   ;)

I'll just type out real quick what I did today instead of spending a lot of time on-line (the clock is ticking and I have 20 more minutes of time to use before my 1-hr limit is up and I've GOT to play some games yet tonight . . LOL).

Today I sorted through a bunch (and I mean A BUNCH) of older newspapers and junk mail.  I still have quite a few more papers to go through which I will continue to work on this week.  I kept my shredder busy today with all the credit card applications we get weekly.   ::)

This week I also plan on taking to the basement the rest of the Christmas decorations that are still out (snowmen, balls in a basket, tabletop tree, etc.) and bring my SPRING stuff upstairs.  Yay! ;D

Well, gotta keep moving along. 

Any one else joining me in this challenge?  Like I said, it's tough, but I'm bound and determined to stick it out for a week.   ;)

Bucky

Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

hikerknees

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Maybe all the people who are taking this challenge aren't responding because they are staying off line lol!  I will try from here on out, I like the idea.

lynnmarie219

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
Oh Bucky...this is a tough one! When I get home from work I go online to do so many things from signing in here at Sjogrens World to checking emails, playing games, paying bills, online banking...etc...etc...etc!

I don't think I can do this one....lol!

Good luck to you and all who are though!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »
Hikerknees - you might be right about the others.   ;)

Well, here it is day #2 and I'm still on board with this challenge.  I've missed getting on-line during the day (when I usually do) - but, I'm working on reducing the amount of newspapers around the house - and I'm making progress, so that's a good thing.   

Today it was rainy in the morning and cloudy the rest of the day - a good day to take a nap - which I did!   ;D

Hoping to take the Christmas items to the basement and bring the spring items up tomorrow.  I also want to keep plugging along with the newspapers - I told you, there's a bunch of them.  I'm going newspaper by newspaper even though some of them are months old.

Well, gotta keep moving along - I have 20 minutes left today of computer time and I'm gonna play some games.   ;D

See ya tomorrow.

Bucky

CAT1962

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
Well, I was never a LOST fan, but am on Season 3, episode 12, and I am ADDICTED! Sooooo..I think the 1 hr per day thing for awhile is totally doable for me!  ;D

CAT

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »
Here it is Day #3 and I'm still staying within my 1-hr. per day limit on the computer.   ;D

Today I have been continuing with my sorting of the newspapers.  I must be allergic to the newspaper print as I always sneeze and sneeze whenever I read the newspaper.  I use to work in a newspaper company back in the mid 70's - maybe, that's where I developed this allergy to newsprint.

Also, today I took some of the Christmas stuff down to the basement and brought some of the Spring items up.  I'll finish the rest of it in the next few days.  In the past I would run up and down, up and down the stairs hauling things back and forth - but, I don't do that any more.  A little at a time.   :D

Tomorrow we're suppose to hit 70 degrees here in Central Illinois.  Woohoo!!  I'll have to open some windows!

Time to run -

Bucky

Katybarstool

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
Bucky

You are doing a wonderful job, clearing the newspapers. Do you buy all these, or are some of them freebies? We get a morning paper every day, but have cancelled the evening one, as sometimes it wasn't getting read, and then it becomes a chore to catch up with. When my DH pointed out I could read the news online, if I wanted to, that sealed the deal and I cancelled. Sometimes, it feels like a relief not to have to read all those papers.

Keep up the good work.

Kathyx   

lynnmarie219

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
Keep up the good work Bucky!

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »
Day #4 of this 1 week, 1 hr. per day on the computer challenge.  (What was I thinking when I posted this?!?   ::))

Today I've been struggling with my 1 hr. time limit.  I didn't sleep well last night and that is when I usually get up after tossing and turning, tossing and turning and play games or surf the web for a while.  I couldn't do that with this challenge . . . whaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

However, I have stayed within my limit (so far) for the day . . . to be honest, I can't wait until this challenge is over!   ;)

Didn't get a whole lot done today.  Did grocery shopping and that's a task all it's own.  Didn't even tackle the newspapers or the rest of the switching out of Christmas decorations to spring decorations.  Fixed dinner and that's good 'enough for today.   ;)

Kathyx - we only get the weekend paper delivered to the house - mostly for the TV schedule and the coupons in the Sunday paper.  We also get three "freebie" papers that come each week.  

I have to work this weekend so doubt I will get much accomplished on any of my "projects" - they'll just have to wait until next week.  

Gotta run . . . .

Bucky

newhorizons

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
Hey Bucky, YOU are truly the fastest typist and house cleaner on this planet!   :D

I, too, wish you had forgotten to put me to this challenge.  Out of time... catch you folks tomorrow night. :-\

Two posts the most... I can do     ;)           Joy   

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »
Day #5 of this 1 week challenge.   ;D

Today it was laundry, load the dishwasher and go through some more newspapers.  I'm half-way through January's papers . . . I'm getting there, but it's slow go.

I worked this evening, so on work days I kinda "chill" and not push things.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!   ;D

NewJoy -  as a matter of fact, I used to be a newspaper typesetter - so I CAN type fast.   :D

I'm glad there are only two more days left of this challenge.  I promise, I will never have another challenge like this one again!!   ::)  But . . . . I WAS able to do it, but I have missed my extra time on the computer.  I pretty much missed a whole weeks worth of posts here on the forum as I didn't have time to keep up.  I'll have to play catch-up next week.

Gotta run . . . .

Bucky

CAT1962

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
Well, I have been watching LOST, and not going online much. Tonight I have been on for a good while. The pastor of my church wants some logos for the website and I have been "working"...does that count?

Give me some sympathy points?...they don't pay me, and if you remember , fired me in January. (My dad always told me that I was "too nice"...)

hikerknees

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
Hey Bucky,
Sorry you found the challenge challenging.  I was kinder to myself tho and figured if I didn't stay under the hour I would just note that and try again tomorrow.  Of course it helped that I don't have internet access most evenings!
I also listened to music, danced, and read entertaining books.  It looks like you did a lot of housework--admirable, but maybe not as incentivizing to stay off the computer?  Course I am very casual about housework.