Author Topic: Fuch's Dystrophy?  (Read 3044 times)

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
    • Enter here for chat room:
Fuch's Dystrophy?
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »
Does anyone else have this dx?  I've been reading about it, and so far I can't find a correlation to Sjogren's.
Cheryl
Chat co-host on Thursdays at 8:00 Eastern time

hootyhu1

Re: Fuch's Dystrophy?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
Fuch's dystrophy is when one of the layers of your cornea isnt functioning right. the "pump cells" aren't able to pump fluid the keep the cornea clear, that is how my doc explains it to people. it has nothing to do with SjS. it can make your vision hazy and distorted and the cure for it is a corneal transplant or partial transplant but I think that is only for very extreme cases. talk with your doc on what you can do or what other options you have.  I have seen Sjs patients with Fuch's but I have seen more people with out Sjs with Fuch's
I hope this helps you with more info.-hootyhu

eyeamdry

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:39:30 PM »
Cheryl, I have ebmd which is epithelium basement m-(something) disease which is similar.  After seeing your doctor about it, probably they won't do anything special unless it's serious.  I've been told to use Muro ointment which can be bought in drug stores.  It may be behind the counter and you have to as for it.
Muro ointment at night can do alot for this condition.  Lucy

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »
Thanks Hooty and Lucy!  Apparently this is not AI related.   My doctor said that I can't do anything to improve or prevent it, so I will be monitored for changes in case surgery is necessary.   Lucy, I'm sorry you are dealing with a similar situation.   Luch's affects the endothelial (most inside) layer.  It helps to explain my night blindness and light sensitivity, which I thought were only due to Sjogren's. 

Carebear

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
This is very interesting, Cheryl.   How was the Fuch's Dystrophy diagnosed?
Sjogren's syndrome, RA,  Raynaud's phenomenon, Celiac Disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Grave's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Osteopenia, Cervical Stenosis

Gabapentin, Methotrexate, Synthroid, Dexilant, Domperidone, Metronidazole, Pennsaid, folic acid.

Cheryl

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »
Carebear,
The doctor could see shapes called guttata with his tools when he examined my eyes.   He then measured the thickness of my corneas and did a computerized cell count of the endothelial layer.  My cell count was half of what is normal for my age.  Those cells don't regenerate, so a transplant may be in my future.
Cheryl

Bucky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »
Cheryl - I've never heard of this.  I know I've heard you make comments before that you have to rest your eyes and that sunlight bothers you.  All those years of grading papers for your students probably didn't help matters.  Our eyes are so precious - I hope your doctor will stay on top of this and do what he can to preserve your sight.

Hugs,
Bucky
Come sit a spell and join in live chat - we serve non-fattening, zero calorie goodies while discussing all kinds of things.  ;D

http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)