Author Topic: Ear infections  (Read 2024 times)

wiccagal

Ear infections
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:31:12 PM »
hey all,

In to my third week of a fairly bad ear infection that has spread to my sinuses making me feel generally unwell and horrible.   It seems that when I am exposed to a cold, my immune system fights it off but the Eustachian tubes (however you spell that) become blocked with dry mucous and fluid builds up behind the ear drum and hey presto an infection seems to take hold..

Does anyone have any tips suggestions ideas on how to deal with this or prevent it or anything???  I am only working 2 days aweek now and this has knocked my entire working week off for two weeks in a row...

Joe S.

• Fibro, Sjs, RA, CNS, Diabetes, TIA's, ADHD, ptsd
    • Chakra Force
Re: Ear infections
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:12:49 AM »
You could try my Polar Fleece Mumps Scarf, if you have not tried it. It helps me with ear and gland infections and pain. If you have access to a frequency generator I could give you the frequencies to kill the bacteria. If nothing else see your doctor for an Rx.
bkn C4 & C5, herniation's 7 n, 5 t, 4 l, Nerve Damage
Lisinopril, Amlodipine, Pantoprazole, Metformin, Furosemide, Glimepiride,
Centrum Silver, Cinnamon, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Inositol, D3, ALA, ALC, Aleve, cistanche
Reiki, reflexology, meditation, electro-herbalism

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:15:48 PM »
Have you tried using a neti pot to irrigate your nasal cavity. This really does help clear out the think mucus that can trap the bacteria. Also, when you keep your mucus membranes moist they are less apt to breed and grow bacteria.

Also, try using the Muscinex to help thin the mucus in your sinsuses and lungs. You can buy this in generic now and it is much cheaper. Talk to the pharmacist about the generic, dosages, etc. It does help. It is not a dramatic change but enough to know that it is worth taking.

This OTC drug is the same as the trade name liguid Robitussin for colds. Just one drug called guiafesen (spelling??) and is much cheaper in generic. In fact the Mucinex people are making a killing selling at their price.!!!

I also wonder if the ear infections are coming from the sinuses. So often we can have sinus issues that will travel downhill and into the ear canals. Something to ask your doc about. Irish ;D

Spartan1

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
      I USE A SPRAY CALLED XLEAR..PRONOUNCED CLEAR.  IF YOU USE THE SINUS SPRAY AND CHEW THE SPRY GUM IT PREVENTS EAR INFECTIONS.  IF YOU ARE PRONE TO THESE I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOTH. I AM A HYGIENIST AND I HAVE SEEN THE MEDICAL AND DENTAL JOURNALS ON THESE ITEMS. LOOK UP XYLITOL FOR RESPITORY HEALTH AND DENTAL HEALTH. I HAVE USED THE SPRAY FAITHFULLY SINCE OCTOBER. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY INFECTIONS OR COLDS THIS YEAR, SINCE STARTING THESE PRODUCTS. THE COMPANY IS CALLED XLEAR.COM IF YOU WANT TO READ MORE. I STARTED THE SPRAY BECAUSE I END UP IN THE ER EVERY YEAR WITH LUNG COMPLICATIONS FROM A SINUS INFECTION MOVING TO MY LUNGS. I END UP ON IV STEROIDS. I WANTED TO TRY TO PREVENT THIS. EVERYONE INCLUDING MY HUSBAND GOT SICK AROUND ME AND FOR ONCE I STAYED HEALTHY...I AM A BIG BELIEVER IN THESE PRODUCTS. IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS, I AM HAPPY TO ANSWER THEM.

GOOD LUCK..HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON.
        SPARTAN1

Gonzo

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:07 AM »
I am very sensitive to earinfections and sinuses-infections so I'm always alert on the first signals. Then I start with nasal spray with xylometazoline HCI 1,0 mg/ml and to steam a couple of times a day (how do you call it in english; boiled water in a bin, towel over your head). It works to prevent it, most of the times.
I wish you strength, I know how painfull it can be and how sick you can be.
Hope you feel bteer soon!
Gonzo

BonusMom

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
I exceeded my quota of ear infections as a child.  Fortunately, I haven't *knock on wood* had one in twenty years.

Although it's been a long time, I remember all too well the pain from the ear infections, so you have my sympathy, 

I do recall some advice my kids' pediatrician gave me several years ago....although heat may feel good applied to the ear-resist the urge as heat causes the bacteria to grow!

Hope you feel better soon!

Rachel F.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:54 AM »
also Ibuprofen to keep things from swelling up too much and humidifier at night- my doctor gave me a nasal spray that is a steriod to help too

Let us know what you find that works for you!

wiccagal

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 03:33:30 AM »
Thanks guys,  its now week 4 or 5... its all run together.  I will avoid the heat thing ( i didnt know that can make it worse.  I have a netti pot but dont use it when the ears are infected.. the makes instructions say not to when you experience ear pain.  Arg dont you just love Sjs!! all the weird and wonderful things that happen when you start to dry out.