Author Topic: Yet another Lab Question...  (Read 4540 times)

lynnmarie219

Yet another Lab Question...
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
I went for my 6 month follow up rheumy visit last week and she was a little concerned at how tired I looked mixed with some of the symptoms I talked with her about during the appt. She ordered a bunch of labs for me as she usually does to monitor the regular things and added a few new tests.

Most were ok for me....except for one that caught her eye was the B-2 Microglobulin which I understand through her explanation and some research is a very non specific test for hematologic disorders. Mine was only very slightly elevated, but it was something she wanted to follow up on and ordered some more specific tests to check things out. She doesn't want me to worry (easier said than done), and said it was probably fine but she is just thorough as I want her to be.

The lab prescription is being sent in the mail since I'm a about 2 hours away and I will have it done locally and faxed to her. She is running a Serum Protein Electrophoresis? and maybe some others.  Until then I wait and wonder....I hate that!

Anyone have any experience with these lab tests? From what I have read, it kind of scares me...

lindaneall

Re: Yet another Lab Question...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »
Lynmarie, I will be interested to hear what your rheumy says about the elevated Beta-2 Microglobulin test.  My rheum. also just ordered a slew of tests.

My Beta-2 Microglobulin level is also elevated. A Serum Protein Electrophoresis was also run. It showed elevated gamma globulins as well as an Abnormal Protein Band 1.  I read on Labtestsonline.org that the elevated Beta-2 Microglobulin and gamma globulins could be caused by an autoimmune disease.

I am not sure what the implication of the Abnormal Protein Band 1 means (that the Serum Protein Electrophoresis showed). The lab interpretation said, "The increase in the gamma globulins appears to be polyclonal, suggesting a chronic inflammatory response. Possible monoclonal protein (M-protein) present. Suggest serum immunofixation".

IgG, IgM, and IgA levels were also done. Only the IgG level was highly elevated, which is common in autoimmune conditions.

If anyone has any light to shed on all this, I would be interested to hear also. It will be a few weeks before I see the rheumy.

Calli66

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »
I get those tests annually---the rheumy said that whether you have the polyclonal vs monoclonal gammaglobulins is maybe a cancer marker---but I forget which one. Anyway, they are inflammation indicators, too. She's on the lookout for lymphoma, I guess, because of the Sjogren's.

C

JannaLee

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
Darling Lynnie-Marie,

Sending you a hug and waiting to hear what you find out.

Janna

lindaneall

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »
Calli66, from what I researched, the monoclonal gammopathies are cancer markers, whereas the polyclonal gammopathies (which I have) are autoimmune related. My dad had Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia (monoclonal gam.), and I pray I never get that.

Daisy1234

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
Hi Lynnmarie:

I was just at a Rheumy appointment this past Thursday and the rheumy was remarking on the growing number of enlarged lymph nodes I have, 12 and counting at last look not to mention 3 others in my chest that are not palatable from the surface and she ordered a slew of blood work/urinanalysis tests for me, one of which was Serum Protein Electrophoresis.  I know without any doubt that she is concerned that I may have lymphoma but so far no one has performed a biopsy on me to tell me one way or the other. 

After worrying about all of these enlarged lymph nodes for a number of months, I have changed approaches and adopted the attitude that I won't worry until someone tells me to or I'd be out of my head with concern from all of these enlarged lymph nodes some of which are 2.5mm and greater.  Also just had my 4th CT scan in 9 months with contrast dye yesterday to once again look at some other enlarged lymph nodes.  What will be will be and my wasting what little energy I have worrying about it won't change anything, so I'm just trying my best to get on with things and not think about it. 

Please try not to worry either, as long as you are in good hands, try to let those hands do the work and take good care of you.

Hugs,
Daisy

lynnmarie219

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »
What will be will be and my wasting what little energy I have worrying about it won't change anything, so I'm just trying my best to get on with things and not think about it. 

Please try not to worry either, as long as you are in good hands, try to let those hands do the work and take good care of you.

Excellent advice for all of us to remember!  I try to tell others this, but I also need to be reminded of it!

Thanks Daisy.... :)

CAT1962

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
I just did (couple of weeks ago or so) an amino acid test. Saliva and urine collected for 12 hrs then shipped off via my Dr. He also ran an IGa, and other things. (Not a hijack, just relative..LOL) I am low on a ton of things, including Cortisol. I am meeting with him tomorrow and he is going to give me a protocol of sorts. I will update for you and maybe you can let me know how YOUR test(s) go, and what those results are?

BonusMom

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »
Anyone know what an elevated IgA indicates?

lynnmarie219

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
BonusMom

I am not sure about this lab test for you as it was probably one of several tests run so they all have to be taken into consideration together.

If you have any questions, I would call the doctor and ask him/her directly...that's the best advice I can offer and what I do to clear things up for me.

Still waiting on my second set of lab results....hopefully tomorrow she will return my phone call for follow up....she is usually very good about that! 

lynnmarie219

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
Just an update....

Well I got my lab report back (Serum Protein Electrophoresis) and everything looks good...not sure yet why the other test (Beta-2 Microglobulin) was elevated then...but this one was fine. I will talk to my rheumy more at my next appt.

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
Glad to hear that all is well with you lynnmarie.

Daisy, You have an awesome attitude and you are so right. What can you do. Worry would drive you over the edge. The thing to be thankful for is that they are watching this and when and if you need treatment you should be ahead of the game. So many times docs won't check people as well as they should be. It behooves all of us not to worry but to be vigilant about any swelling or soreness that we notice.

Here is a website for people to check on the IgG issues.

http://www.primaryimmune.org

There is a discussion forum and a lot of info.Also, there should be an article about many of the immune issues that you can print. Irish ;D

lynnmarie219

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
Thanks Irish!  :)