Author Topic: Quitting Smoking (OT)  (Read 55024 times)

LenV

Re: Quitting Smoking (OT)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 01:14:49 PM »
O.K. now Mim,
It's been over 24 hours since you posted (I think)  Have you started this quest for a happier life?  Let us hear from you.

Billye

tsvales

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 08:01:54 PM »
Hey, Mim, I thought you were quitting last week when we were in the chat room?  Anyway, my first week of "heck" is about over.  It's not easy, but I am doing it.  I have done quite a bit of sleeping this week.  Guess that's one way to not smoke.  So far so good.  Cold Turkey.  I have a friend who is now hooked on the nicotine gum and I didn't want that to happen to me.

Good luck.  My husband already said he likes the fact that I don't have "cigarette breath".  One day at a time.  An addiction is an addiction. 

Take care,
Sandi

LenV

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 05:47:44 AM »
Sandy,
One of the things I noticed 20 odd years ago when I quit smoking was how badly the people who smoked smelled.  Your hair, clothes, breath and even your skin smell like stale cigarette smoke when you are smoking.  My husband didn't smoke and when I quit (cold turkey too), he said " You don't stink any more."  That made me feel soo bad because I hadn't realized that I stank.  I've also seen cases where people who smoke actually sweat the stuff out of their pores and sheets turn yellow.  Nasty stuff.  It's so good for you to get rid of this habit.  I commend you both for this.  Keep it up.

Billye

mim

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »
Hi there ladies,

Sandi, no when I said last week about quitting I said I had to go to the clinic first, which was last Tuesday and they recommended I set a date and then did it from there, at the clinic we agreed the date would be tomorrow (Sunday 21st).

So I am on my last day of being a smoker today,  I am preparing myself for my big day tomorrow. 

Very nervous, hubby has been really supportive, he has an appointment of the 29th, and my son has been harassing me for the last 5 days to give up immediately and not wait until Sunday, but I know me and I have to plan it and get my mind right. 

I am in awe of you sandi, I know if I had just done it I would have failed, so well done on just quitting and getting through your 1st week in one piece, be very proud.

Will post tomorrow evening (if i can type) and let you all know how the first day went.  I think it will be easier from Monday on as I am at work everyday and not only can't I smoke anywhere on site they have said the weather is going to turn really cold and that will be an added reason not to go out in the street for a cigarette.

Many thanks for your support, anyone else out there that wants to try to quit and join me and start to post their progress feel free (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE hint hint).

Love and thanks for your support, keep me in your prayers for I am going to need all the help, divine and mortal, I can get.

Mim  :-\ :-\

Patze

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »
Mim,

I'm also a former smoker 30+ years (off and on) - I quit on 2 January 2005; it was the hardest thing I've ever done!!!  I went cold turkey on a promise I made my daughter, couldn't break a promise to her.

It was a long road, but I did it (still have a craving now and then) and did it well!!!!!  Remember, one minute, one hour, one day at a time.  YOU CAN DO IT!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

susanep

• Each Day Is A Miracle !
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 07:31:51 PM »
Congratulations on planning to quit smoking.It's been two years for me now. I didnt think I would ever be able to quit. I didnt smoke since I was a teenager. I smoked about 13 years and I am 53, but as far as I was concerned it might as well been 50 years.

I enjoyed smoking. It felt like it was one thing that belonged to me. I am not encouraging it , I am just trying to tell my story and  how I really felt. IT did cost a lot,but I would willingly let something else go to get my cigarettes. Everyone knows the best cigarette is after you finish eating . Well and when you first get up in the morning,and when I first was on my way home from my job. And well, on on on on it goes.

I am almost having a craving thinking back  ;D ,but I am ok. I rarely have the cravings now. I have dreamed about it. I ususally dream I am about to smoke one and start my excuses . When I wake up I am so glad it was a dream.

I had tried the gum and patches before. They both worked in their own way, I just know now I wasnt really ready to quit. I was in a bad marriage so anytime I got nervous which was often I smoked. Also my ex husband always nagged me about it. Made me get out of the car to have one in the winter. I think because he hated it I wanted to smoke all the more. I know its silly.

My wonderful husband now had smoked in the past ,but had quit when I met him and he hadnt smoked in a year. Well , eventually he wanted to smoke again. I wouldnt tell him what to do ,because I smoked when we met. I did feel guilty thinking my smoking made it too tempting for him.

About 4 years ago he almost died. Complications from his diabetes and sleep apnea. He did not smoke again. I still smoked especially after riding in the front of the ambulance.

Well after I started having more sickness and not really knowing yet what was going on  my  doctor started at me about smoking. One day I told my husband after we left his office. He doesnt think I can quit.

I also didnt like something having power over me like cigarettes did. My husband felt the same way. I think that factor is what got to us the most. We are both christians,and didnt want something to have power over us. We only wanted God'spower over us.

One day I told God I could not quit on my own. I was serious. That is how I felt. I ask him in prayer if he would help me. Well at the next doctors visit he started at me again,and I said I am going to quit on Sunday. He laughed and said , Sunday! Why not now.I said, well it is going to be my way,and it will be on Sunday.

That is all history now. I quit on Sunday and havnt smoked again. I quit cold turkey only because I was afraid to have anything else in my system. I wanted it out as soon as possible. I felt like I would do better that way.

Next,doctors appointment he said so when are you going to quit. I said I have already quit. I havent smoked since that Sunday I told you about. He said really? Gave me all the nice comments then ,but still didnt think I would make it. For about 6 months he would ask me. He now doesn t ask me any more.  ;D

Even with the sjogren's I know it has helped my body. You can feel the benefits right away.
I know there are always exceptions ,but I think smoking is like drinking . Dont ever take the one cigarette after you have quit.

I was a coffee drinker when I smoked,but while quitting I still wanted my coffee. Actually, even more and I bought me some special flavor coffees to sip on and looked forward to them .I did chew some regular gum. My dad use to tell me that would help and I would think yeah right,but it did help. It was like at times I just needed to work my mouth.  ;D Ok , I can see jokes coming now,but it was true. So it was coffee and juicy fruit . lol...

I will end by saying no person can usually cause another person to quit. It takes something inside a person that means something. I quit with God's help.

Good Luck everyone who attempts to quit. If you dont make it one time, remember their will b e another time,and one of these days you will quit.

susanep  :) :)
Sjogren's, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroid, Fibro, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes 2, Asthma, and Gerd.  (Meds I take) Omeprazole, Pilocarpine, Levothyroxine, Effexor, Cpap, Aspirin, Mobic, Prilosec,, Xanax, Restasis, Systane,Vitamin D3, Plaquenil, Gabapentin, Provigil , Advair, Nasonex, and Proventi

Pooh

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 06:34:21 AM »
GO FOR IT MIM!  YOU CAN DO IT!

Hugs and God Bless,
Pooh

gemvicki

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 09:17:08 AM »

I'm pulling for you Mim!!!

A smoker myself, I admire anyone with the tenacity to give up this nasty habit. I quit once for 4 years and when our youngest went away to college, I started up again. I know, I know quite stupid of me huh?

I am giving my habit much consideration and hopefully will have what it takes to quit once and for all.

{{{{hugs}}}}
     Vicki

mim

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 03:04:40 PM »
Well Hello.

Have survived today.  Got up this morning and reached for a patch rather than a cigarette, good start.  Day did not go too bad, got a bit twitchy around mid morning, and after lunch really wanted to go and get some cigarettes - but I expected that - and managed to take my mind off it by practising a mind re-enforcement technique I read about (seemed to work really well).

Have had dinner and again really missed a post meal cigarette, but got through.  It has not been a nightmare but it has made me realise how much I connect smoking with other things.  When hubby came in from work i automatically put the kettle on and thought I will just sit down and have a cigarette whilst we talk,  my sister in law rang and I thought I will just get my cigarettes and settle down for a chat etc.  Now will have to find alternatives.

Hubby has said he will not smoke in the house but I have told him it is okay as I have to get used to it being around me.

Have snacked today, think it may be worrying about putting on weight ( have just taken about 18 months to lose 2 stone ) but will get lots of veggie snacks for the fridge.

My son has been really happy today not having to wade through a smog at one end of the house, that made me feel better about the whole thing,  it is working for him already.

The main problems I have found are my skin is so dry the patch started to peel within about 2 hours so I had to go to the supermarket and get some micropore tape to stick over the patch to keep it on, and I paid for it at the cigarette counter as the tills were so busy and did not buy cigarettes - I AM PROUD OF MYSELF!! and I have had a headache most of the afternoon/evening which I think may be withdrawal, hopefully this will go in it's own time.

It is strange how one minute you are fine and then all of a sudden there is this overwhelming urge to have a cigarette, it comes from nowhere and hits you like a hammer, then if you can hold out it passes just as quickly.  At the smoking quit clinic the nurse said no craving will last for longer than a minute, I though great just a minute, well boy believe me a minute is a lifetime when you are quitting smoking after 29 years.

Well enough of my waffling, am going to bed now hopefully tomorrow will be as good as today but only time will tell.

Thanks for listening and all your support and experiences.

Love n hugs
Mim   :-\ :-\

Especially for Billye   8)
I stink purty  -  I stink purty

LenV

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »
Yay!!! Mim made it one day!! :D  She's gonna stink purty!  Gonnna stink purty!! gonna stink purty!

Mim..I'm so proud of you.  one day at a time.  Gosh..one hour at a time.  Everytime you think you want a cigarette..start thinking..I'll stink purty!! Billye will be proud of me.   ;D ;D ;D

Billye

mim

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 03:38:18 PM »
God I love you kiddo thanks

Mim

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 03:41:30 PM »
Good job Mim, one day at a time and so far so good. You can be proud.

We are all here with you. Go Mim, go Mim, go Mim.

Hugs,
quiger
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 08:18:54 PM »
mim, Good for you!!! That is the way to treat it----one day at a time. You had so many tempting ciggy opportunities during the day and you consciously chose not to smoke. Give the girl a gold star!!!! Irish ;D

mim

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »
Day Two

Worse than yesterday, but got through, real sore marks from patch yesterday, but persevering.

Thanks for the support

Mim  :-\

Still stink purty

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 02:50:33 PM »
mim, Good for you!!! You made it through another day. Have you tried using a worry stone or something to do with your hands. Also, some people chew on parrafin or wax that used when makeing jellies or candy. I am wondering if that would chew harder and give your jaw a good work out. We smokers/ex-smokers are such oral creatures. Need something in your hand and in your mouth for gratification.

I am been chewing ice for about a year. I started big time when my iron was so low. I guess that is a symptom of iron deficiency. I have since continues to chew ice mainly as it is oral plus it helps me keep my mouth moist without drinking tons of water and getting waterlogged. Having an ice crusher would really help as it would be more gentle on the teeth. I have dentures so I don't worry about my teeth.

Keep it up---your are doing great!!! One day at a time! Irish ;D