Author Topic: Quitting Smoking (OT)  (Read 55023 times)

mim

Quitting Smoking (OT)
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
Hey there,

I am giving up smoking as from Sunday 21st Jan.  Have spoken to the quit clinic and got advice and have the patches so now am just waiting for my BIG DAY.  I have been smoking since I was 14 years old (am now 43) at least 20 a day.

The reason for this post is to ask permission from moderators, hosts and site users to start a sort of 'diary of quitting' thread.  This may be heck or heaven, I do not know yet, but would love to have the opportunity of getting support and advice.  I may make daily posts, if bad or particularly good days, or just weekly posts, I am unsure as to how I will cope.

All are welcome to post their experiences of quitting or trying to quit.

If anyone objects I will not take it personally as this site is really for sjs and associated problems, so please if you would rather I did not run the diary please post on this page and I will check it between now and Sunday.

Many thanks

Mim

Rach

Re: Quitting Smoking (OT)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
You go girl!

This is a wonderful idea...it's all about health issues and how to deal/manage. Who knows, this thread might encourage others... to quit! (I'm not naming names)   ::)

Wonderful plan! You've got my support Mim.

Rachael

Pooh

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:46:04 PM »
Mim,
GO FOR IT GAL, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!  I'm behind you 100%.  It has to be a great healthy decision to stop.  You can only benefit from it.   :D

Hugs and God Bless,
Pooh

Scottietottie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »
Go for it Mim!  :) YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I smoked for 25 years and quit 'cold turkey' and its the hardest thing i've ever done in my life. The point being - I did it - and if I can - you can.

I told my family to stay well clear, went on strike as far as the household was concerned and sat and shook on a couch for about a week. (No patches you see)(It was half term - I didn't need to drive or work)

I was worried about snacking and weight gain so I prepared a bowl of cut up celery and carrot sticks which I kept in iced water in the fridge so when I felt the need - I nibbled on them.

I'd always found that previous attempts to quit had foundered as soon as i found myself in a social situation with a glass in my hand. I bought in a case of beer and drank a couple of cans now and then during my final quit attempt, so that I felt confident that I could drink without smoking.
(Giving up the drink is something I'm still working on!  ;D)

A colleague at work quit very successfully with the help of a smoking cessation clinic and nicotine patches.

GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>we're all behind you! (It'll make life so much easier next July as well. Youll be able to be all smug about all the people trouping out of the pub to smoke in the rain!)

Take care - Scottie  :)
http://sjogrensworld.org/   (our home page)
http://www.sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm   (find our chat times here!)
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net  (way to chat + nickname and #Sjogrensworld)

Never do tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow!

LenV

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »
Hey Mim..Screaming out the roof....YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is great!  Be sure as Scottie says to get some low cal munchies.  Dry popcorn is a good one if you can swallow.  Be prepared for the grouchies.  My son told me that when he quit, his wife moved into the opposite side of the house :D

I just think it's great and will be supporting and urging every step of the way.

I heard today on the news that cancer deaths are down and they are associating it with less smoking and something..brain died...anyway, I heard smoking and was so glad son quit.

Good luck!
Billye

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:58:40 PM »
Mim, Good idea!!! With the Sjogrens it can raise havoc with the dryness issues and probably encourages infections. I had smoked for many years. I quit once cold turkey for 6 months and did not have even a desire to smoke. I was not smoking much daily at that time.

Years later I was much, much older and smoking more(pack daily) and the doctors were after me to quit smoking. I kept telling them to quit bugging me. I knew from experience that when I made up my mind that would be it. On October 7, 2002 I had such a bad day allergy wise when they were harvesting the soybeans that I thought I would choke to death and felt so miserable. Made up my mind to get up the next day and never smoke again. That is what I did. I did not crave a cigarette for several years and now I may enjoy the smell of the smoke occasionally but generally it makes me sick.

I have no clue why I have not craved them as I loved to smoke, enjoyed smoking, never thought I would quit etc. But here I am over 4 years later and not smoking and not much craving. If anyone knows the answer to the absence of craving I would be interested to know. I did not replace smoking with any other habit. I have always had a healthy appetite. One thing that may have been in my favor was that I never smoked at work and generally smoked at home or in the car. Go figure. Best thing I ever did!!! Irish ;D

Good luck to you and all who desire to quit. I always think that one thing that helps is to skip the "next cigarette" and that can go on forever!

Steffie

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:18:26 AM »
I quit years ago and was very succesful with the patches.  One thing to tell yourself that will help:  You CANNOT smoke even one cigaret on the patch because you can have a seizure......... so that will keep you honest.  I always tell people I have never smoked another cigaret in my real life, but I have smoked cartons of them in my dreams.  I still dream about smoking!!  I do a quit group with the kids at school.  I love to tell them that I have saved, to date, $14,500 by quitting as that is the amount I have NOT spent on cigarets.  Keep track of the money you save and keep it for yourself to buy something you can keep and admire that is healthy (like diamonds!!) Good luck and congratulations on the best decision you have ever made.

Rach

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:31:43 AM »
 :o 
oooooooooooooooooooooooo Wow! Steffie!

I never thought about it like that...(scrathing my head).

See there, someone can explain it in their way..and a light comes on in my head!

that's a ton of moola.

thanks Steffie!

Epson

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »
Mim,

How can anyone object to helping people stop using one of the deadliest and addictive drugs like tobacco?  I have never been a smoker, but I can sympathies with people who are addicted to  a substance that can compromise your health in so many ways.

My 85 year old father has not smoked for 35 years (stopped cold turkey at 50), but still has the occasional urge for a smoke.

I am not going to wish you good luck, because luck has nothing to do with it, willpower does!  Sjogren's gives you enough health problems, you don't need to add to them with cigarettes.  You can't control what SS is going to do, but you can take control of your smoking.

Stay strong, whip the habit!

Epson

Linda196

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »
Good for you Mim, if support and good wishes will help, you have baskets full of both.

I was a "social smoker" in the 60's and 70's but never really got into it. I even stopped when I planned to get pregnant, and didn't start again until after I returned to work after the birth of my youngest, and never smoked at home after that. As a result, when I decided to stop, I was able to, just by thinking of myself as a non-smoker. Haven't really ever had cravings (stopped in 80) except once, after about 2 years, I reached across the table in a restaurant to hubby's pack, took one out without thinking, then sat there and looked at it like "what the heck is that in my hand for?" I didn't light it, but it was so weird to go through the motions of getting it out, without even wanting it.

I think you can do anything, and with an attitude like you have, you will soon be a non-smoker too.

As for objections because the site is for SJS...think of it this way; addiction to smoking is probably an aggravating factor in SJS, so you aren't off topic at all, just sharing another coping strategy for SJS.
Please check out our home page at http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html {{INCLUDES A LINK TO AMAZON SHOPPING!!}}
; and live chat at https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.dal.net/#SjogrensWorld

quiger

• Sjogrens Staff
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »
Congratualtions on your decision to quit Mim. We are all right here with you.

Hugs,
quiger
Check out the info on the home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html

Maria3667

• Cultivating a 'dry' sense of humor.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 06:08:49 PM »
Mim,

I'm surprised you were even able to smoke!

I got terrible eye inflammation from smoking. Woke up every morning with this goo-ye green stuff on my eyelids...
This is what made me kick the habit alltogether. Smoking and Sjogren's are not a good partner...

My best and GOOD LUCK,
Maria
52. DES-daughter ('67), Lyme's ('98), GAD ('98), Sjogren's ('02), hypothyroid ('04), endometriosis ('14), osteoarthritis ('16), blepharitis ('18), frozen shoulder ('19). Pilocarpine, thyroid meds, 25mg quetiapine, 5% testosterone. Allergies: sodium hydroxide, nickle, methylisothiazolinone, latex

eyeamdry

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 07:10:24 PM »
My last cig was November 13, 1989 and I tell others I may not be here today if I still smoked.  It is hard, but determination wins every time.   I know I must never go near another cigarette.

Linda's "social smoking" is very rare.  I've known a very few people who could have a cig once in awhile and was always jealous of them.  For me, it's all the way. 

We all have our fingers crossed that you'll be successful and a healthier person in the end.

Lucy

irish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »
For those of us with an "addictive" personality it should be written in stone that when you quit that is it. The first time I quit I started smoking some after 5 months or so and then there was a death in the immediate family and everyone was sitting around the table and talking. So I had one or two and that kept on and then increased and increased and increased. When a person quits that "one" cigarette is the one that starts you smoking again.

Just a little side note that Linda reminded me of with her cigarette in the hand story. My hubby had a friend that had quit smoking and he substituted lighting books matches, shaking them out and putting the unlit little paper match in his mouth. He went through about 4-5 books of matches a day---but he wasn't smoking!!! Interesting what a habit smoking is besides being addictive.  ;DIrish

Rach

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 12:25:13 PM »
Have any of you heard this saying, "Use it or loose it"?

Well...I'm struggling with the smelly white smoke too and that phrase popped into my head... "use it & you will loose it"...

makes sense to me in that respect. Wish I never started  :'(