Author Topic: Dry mouth  (Read 3388 times)

tired of it

Dry mouth
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:45:01 AM »
Avoid the following foods or products, which may worsen a dry
mouth or cause mouth pain
o Avoid or limit caffeinated foods and beverages such as
coffee, caffeinated tea, colas, and chocolate.
o Avoid alcoholic beverages including beer, wine, and
mixed drinks. Alcohol will dry the mouth further.
o Avoid dry foods including tough meats, raw vegetables,
breads, pretzels, rice, chips, muffins, and cakes.
o Avoid commercial mouthwashes. These contain alcohol
which will dry the mouth further.
o Avoid licking your lips. This will dry them out further.
Ask your medical care team about what type of
moisturizer you can use on your lips. Chapstick and
petroleum jelly usually are appropriate.

dainbramage

Re: Dry mouth
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »
I am sorry but I will not avoid CHOCOLATE :'(  But I avoid most everything else. I am not a hard drinker, but a glass of wine here and there was nice, but now with the meds I am on I don't even drink

dbab

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:15:44 AM »
same here!  no don't take away my chocolate :(  sometimes when I can't eat much, nutella on toast is all I can stomach to take my meds so I must have it :D

tired of it

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »
Hey,, I just copied what I was reading,, dont shoot the messenger ;)

dbab

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55:04 AM »
aww tired of it... never would do that!  ;)

I'm wondering what ingredient in chocolate though is drying, must go do some digging.

genko_b

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
Perhaps the caffeine-related part of chocolate. I can't remember what they call it. I can't eat chocolate anyway because it causes migraines in me.

But I won't give up green tea. It has caffeine but also has many other phytochemicals that are good for you. Life is always a balance between what is good for your body and what is good for your spirit.

Thanks for the list - it is good information and everyone gets to make informed choices.

Genko

dainbramage

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »
I am sorry tired of it, I wasn't shooting the messenger, I love chocolate. I went to store to get somethings people on this site have told me to try and so I just went by the chocolate aisle and got a few bars of dark chocolate. Yummy

tired of it

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
I love Chocolate as mush as the next guy,, M&M;s,, they never stood a chance if I was around,, by the handfull,, they just dry my mouth out more,,, now I used to drink milk by the gallon, wife could not keep it in thehouse,, now I cant stand teh taste of it,, world of food has gotten very small,, even chips,, used to love them,, cant take the salt on them,, now I can eat pringles,, there not as salty

dainbramage

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »
You know, I really did not think of all the salt. I am trying to find things to make my mouth stop hurting and I overlooked salt. Bells ringing birds singing a light just blinked on, ahahah

flutterfly

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
UR NO FUN!!! :o

~*flutterfly...thinkin'man...w/all the stuff i can't have'cause of the ※shugs※ & diabetic gastrperisis it leaves lil' happiness 4 pixies broken tastebuds!!!*~

gsmraxe

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
Ooooohhhhh, I gotta have CHOCOLATE!!!!   ;D ;D ;D  I make a mean oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, and I just can't give those up!

I agree about the caff tho...Diuretic.

I like those soft pretzels...with lots of salt.  And a large glass of water!  or milk.

Carmex is my #1 lip balm.  Been using it for 20 years and I swear by it.

BonusMom

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »
Crest makes a mouthwash that is alcohol free and doesn't burn.

dainbramage

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:14:41 AM »
I went out and bought ORALBALANCE for dry mouth. Don't like the taste. I can't handle candy or gum in my mouth too long so this is not doing what I hoped it would. I used the sonic toothbrush and sensodyne toothpaste and I do feel my mouth is cleaner, tongue is still burning. Gonna look for Crest mouthwash without alcohol, thanks BonusMom.
I have to be careful what I eat because my mouth hurts if I eat too much hard stuff. M&M's of any kind hurts after awhile, but I love ghirardelli dark chocolate with orange or caramel or raspberry or mint or or or or or or...................

Spoke with my son's ENT about SjS and what can help with dry mouth and burning tongue. He said he learns about what products help from patients. He is even getting the medical part of the military involved in finding things for my son (severe bleeder) to help stop his cuts and nose bleeds.

Patze

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:33:14 AM »
I'm another chocoholic!  Oh my, I would give up all the meds before I even think about giving up chocolate!

Patze
Our home page  http://www.sjogrensworld.org/index.html
Live chats  http://sjogrensworld.org/chats.htm

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it - Confucius

The important thing is not to stop questioning ~ Albert Einstein ~

Sero Negative Queen

Pisces24

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 07:41:36 AM »
OH Gosh, I couldn't give up my chocolate either.  I just have Hershey's syrup in milk and only "eat" it occassionally. But Christmas and birthdays don't count. Also food days at work when they bring chocolate something.  :D

Your enjoyment of life is important too!!!   Think for instance if it was proven that you could live absolutely healthy until age 110 BUT you could only ever eat alfalfa sprouts and water. Nothing else. Absolutely no other food or drink could touch your lips. Would you do it?   99% or more would say NO as the quality and enjoyment of life is just of if not more important than the length.
Just something to think about.